new 2013 block........machine work.

96lasersvt

Established Member
If i buy a new stock block from ford racing, will it need any machine work? Can i just get new forged 3.63 pistons and it be ready for assy? Not planning on any boost, but MAYBE up to a 100 shot down the road. Thanks.

draxxus131

Established Member
As long as the pistons you wish to install are the standard size, then NO you will not need any machining to be done. Hopefully I answered your question correctly.

96lasersvt

Established Member
Thanks. The pistons im looking at are the mahle 3.63 bore size for 12.5:1 comp. I think those are for a stock bore but i wasnt sure if the blocks came finished honed and ready or not.

96lasersvt

Established Member
Also.....does anyone know the diff in the boss vs gt cranks. I know they are both forged, and that the boss comes balanced for the piston rod combo.

96lasersvt

Established Member
Thanks for the info on the crank. Thats what i was thinking, but just wanted to be sure before i ordered one. The gt one is a few bucks cheaper.

Grabberblumaico

Established Member
The block will need complete deburring, and I think final honing. I have a brand new one and it has lot of sharp and broken edges from casting. Probaly a good idea to retap all holes also.

96lasersvt

Established Member
I had planned on doing some deburring and retapping myself. I was hoping to get away without any actual machine work like honing because there is not a shop i trust to do it locally and i didnt want to have to send it halfway across the country to get it done lol. But i guess better safe than sorry on something like that.

Tron84

Damn Newb
Established Member
The block will need complete deburring, and I think final honing. I have a brand new one and it has lot of sharp and broken edges from casting. Probaly a good idea to retap all holes also.

It's sad but that's how they are when they are assembled on the production line. When I rebuilt my stock block I went through and deburred everything. Machining chips were falling off with just the slightest touch

96lasersvt

Established Member
Thanks for the replies everyone. Im gonna email ford racing and see what they say about the honing. Ill post the answer i get from them.

96lasersvt

Established Member
Ok.....so i called the ford racing techline and the guy told me to measure the bores and if the clearance of the pistons i wanted to use were within spec that i wouldnt need to hone the cylinders. It is a full machined block. The 12.5:1 mahle pistons for the 3.63 inch bore is .0025 min to .0033 max. Im gonna be ordering the block in a week or so, guess ill just measure the bores and go from there.

Users who are viewing this thread