New 2.9 crusher numbers @ 22lbs

Redfire03

Established Member
First off, a big thank you to Greg, Johnny and Drew with Finish Line Performance here in Denver. These guys continue to impress me with how much knowledge they have and the amount of care they take when working on my cars.

So I have had the 2.9 crusher setup on my car for about 6 months now running at 17-18bs, the car made 650whp with a 3.5 upper and the stock lower. I was always a little disappointed in the throttle response coming from a ported and pullied Eaton. The car was really fast but always seemed like it needed to be revved to make the power.

I talked with the guys at Finish Line and decided that putting the 4lb lower I had sitting in the garage from my eaton back on would solve my problems and boy were they right. The car is a completely different car now! The instantaneous throttle response and massive torque are back and they car is so much more enjoyable and fun to drive.

The numbers are on pump gas with a can of Torco. The 4lb lower upped the boost at 22.22lbs.

Here are the results on a 92 degree day:

Cobra_Dyno_zps475bcc9b.jpg

Here is another dyno showing the car with the Stage 4, 2.76 w 4lb lower and the 2.9 crusher at 17lbs.

Dyno_zpscf290787.jpg

During winter the car will be getting an E85 fuel system, we will see what the improvements are with just corn.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Great numbers! What's your fuel setup?

Redfire03

Established Member
Great numbers! What's your fuel setup?

Right now its Division X rails, 80# injectors and a BAP. Being at altitude we get it easy with the fuel system.

This winter it will be getting a Division X hat, lines, etc. so that I can run E85 as well.

gabe1530

Banned
Great numbers. Im looking forward to seeing what youll put down on e85. You'll most likely need to move up to 105s or id1000s. Will you be staying at 22lbs?

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
You will be even more thrilled after the switch to E85 because the tuner will throw more timing down low and that "peak" TQ number you have now will go up dramatically. My 2.3 whipple on E85 and same boost as you (22) makes 680 wheel tq. You will never complain about throttle response again after the E85 and increased timing in the sub 3500rpm range. Right now the tuner is easing into the timing on your rpm band and increasing linear as rpm grows.....on E85 you will be much closer to that total peak timing number much earlier in the band.

Good luck with it :beer:

Redfire03

Established Member
Great numbers. Im looking forward to seeing what youll put down on e85. You'll most likely need to move up to 105s or id1000s. Will you be staying at 22lbs?

Probably staying with 22lbs at first, it all depends how close it gets to 800whp. If I am only a few HP away I will probably up the boost some to get to that number. Whipple says the 2.9 has a max blower RPM of 18,000, I can drop the upper pulley to a 3.1 and it will be perfect for that!

I should be good with the 80's, being over 5,000 feet in elevation lowers the requirements of the fuel system.

Redfire03

Established Member
Nice! Do you know how much timing?

I believe the tuner said 15-16 degrees.

You will be even more thrilled after the switch to E85 because the tuner will throw more timing down low and that "peak" TQ number you have now will go up dramatically. My 2.3 whipple on E85 and same boost as you (22) makes 680 wheel tq. You will never complain about throttle response again after the E85 and increased timing in the sub 3500rpm range. Right now the tuner is easing into the timing on your rpm band and increasing linear as rpm grows.....on E85 you will be much closer to that total peak timing number much earlier in the band.

Good luck with it :beer:

Thats what I was told be the tuner and several other people running E85 cobras that were at the shop. I'm sure E85 will wake the car up even more!

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Man E85 and 2.9 whipple is looking good in my future! Just wondering at that boost level if the crusher kit would make a huge difference or not?

YuGneLrn2Day

Established Member
Wouldn't a 3.1 upper instead of the 4lb lower yield the same results? I'm not knocking your 4lb lower it's making insane power/numbers, I'm just nervous about doing a lower from all the talk about stress being put on the crank.

1S1K

Wicked Slow
Established Member
I also have 2.9 with crusher, 3.5 upper & stock lower. At 19lbs of boost I put down 620hp. Pete from Performance Dyno told me to put a 4lb lower and 3.25 upper. Do I need the whole Metco pulley kit or just the 4lb lower?

With my current pulley I'm running a 77" (5080770) belt. By going to a 3.25 upper and 4lb lower what size belt do I need? I'm thinking 80" k080797? Any help please. Sorry to hijack.

Last edited:

stangfreak

Established Member
Wouldn't a 3.1 upper instead of the 4lb lower yield the same results? I'm not knocking your 4lb lower it's making insane power/numbers, I'm just nervous about doing a lower from all the talk about stress being put on the crank.

People think by adding a lower pulley you "magically" increase torque. The same results can be achieved if you put a smaller upper only. Your just increasing the boost so hp and tq increase will follow. I know so many people that had the stock lower and made the same tq or if not more than my car that has a 4lb lower. The only reason my car has a 4lb lower was when I had a ported eaton with a 2.80 upper and wanted MORE BOOST and of course, no belt slip. Ask jay on here, blwn04svt, we bought the 2.9 whipple at the same time and he had a stock lower pulley. we both made the same tq. He made a little more than me because my motor is a bit soft and a under achiever. plus, don't worry about the crusher setup. save your money.

My car which is down 20 hp and down 20 tq from many many cobra's, made 710rwhp and 650rwtq with a 3.5 upper 4lb lower with the stock intake, and a old dirty s&b 9 inch filter on mustang magics dyno which reads low.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
He's talking about the added stress on the crank due to removing the lower pulley cage when swapping to aftermarket setups.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
That is absolutely correct on this "magical lower" making tq lol. Boost is boost....no matter the pulley combo. The tq will move up when the tuner has the boost and fuel combo to apply the timing. The sooner that happens in the rev band, the larger the tq will be.

Now where a lower can be advantageous is when a smaller upper is creating too much belt slip. Then a lower and larger upper can help mechanically keep the slip at a minimum. But there's nothing magical about it....if you can have an upper only make and hold the desired boost, the results should be identical as a larger upper/lower combo achieving the same boost.

My combo is a factory lower and 2.6" upper on a 2.3 whipple. That's 22-23 psi. 680 wheel tq. Belt slip is kept at a minimum with an RR pulley and whipple sliding adj tensioner. I feel much more at ease with this than removing that factory caged lower.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
So does a 3.25" pulley net around 21-22psi with a stock lower?

YuGneLrn2Day

Established Member
People think by adding a lower pulley you "magically" increase torque. The same results can be achieved if you put a smaller upper only. Your just increasing the boost so hp and tq increase will follow. I know so many people that had the stock lower and made the same tq or if not more than my car that has a 4lb lower. The only reason my car has a 4lb lower was when I had a ported eaton with a 2.80 upper and wanted MORE BOOST and of course, no belt slip. Ask jay on here, blwn04svt, we bought the 2.9 whipple at the same time and he had a stock lower pulley. we both made the same tq. He made a little more than me because my motor is a bit soft and a under achiever. plus, don't worry about the crusher setup. save your money.

My car which is down 20 hp and down 20 tq from many many cobra's, made 710rwhp and 650rwtq with a 3.5 upper 4lb lower with the stock intake, and a old dirty s&b 9 inch filter on mustang magics dyno which reads low.

So you made those numbers with or without the crusher set up?

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Congrats on your #s, Greg and Johnny know their stuff. He tuned my 2V Roush a couple years ago they made some nice #s for what it had. What tuner are you using? I know he used Diablo for a long time. I just recently purchased my 04 Cobra and it came with the SCT X3, was curious to know if he tuned SCT? Did you run your car @ fun ford weekend? I seen a couple of Redfire Cobras.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Jonny is my bro and Greg is one of my best friends. They built and tuned my car. I'm biased of course, but couldn't be happier with the job that Finish Line does.

One thing to consider on these big HP numbers is the altitude correction factor. My car made 1110 with the correction factor and 950 at a 'normal' altitude with the same boost level. On a supercharged car, the difference isn't as extreme, however that 23% correction factor is definitely inflated. You will definitely get major gains running E85 full time, it's the best thing you could do for your car.

Users who are viewing this thread