New 03 Cobra owner needs help

SRT-4 Turbo 7

Established Member
My name is Rob, but I am using a friend's computer because I don't have access to the internet. I just traded in my 04 Mach 1 for an 03 Cobra. What a car as all of you already know. I have a bunch of questions. Can someone post links as to where to buy exhaust, intake, and pulleys. Like is there one specific site where I can get it all.

I was thinking.
JLT intake
Bassani Midlength Headers
MRT Gutted H-Pipe
Borla Stinger Cat-Back

I don't know where to buy any of these products, I just heard that these are good.

Also what pulleys to go with?

Sorry for all of the newbie questions, I would search but since I don't have access to a computer I had to ask. I want to do it right the first time.

Thanks,
Rob

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Do a search and you will find the info, grasshopper. LOL!

BilletFlow makes a great pulley. Doug from BilletFlow knows where to get the other parts, too. www.billetflow.com Give Doug a call and he can tell you what you need and where to get it.

MaximumSVT

Embrace your fears
Established Member
Premium Member
I would definitely skip on the headers as many others would probably agree with me, assuming you are just starting to mod the car. Power will be minimal compared to how expensive they are and difficult to install.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
SRT-4 Turbo 7 said:
...snip...

I was thinking.
JLT intake
Bassani Midlength Headers
MRT Gutted H-Pipe
Borla Stinger Cat-Back

...snip...

JLT, good but there are 2 styles, in the fender (ever get stuck driving in the rain???) and in the engine bay.
Another good one is the K&N FIPK, my preference.
Bassani Midlengths only fit/work with Bassani 5-piece x-pipe. MRT o/r H will have to be cut and flanged to work.
Borla Stinger catback with ANY aftermarket pipe will be utterly deafening, not good loud, not cool loud, but droning, never hear your phone, radio or talk to passengers, brutal BAD LOUD. If that is what you want, go for it. It is a great set of pipes for use with the stock H but watch out if you swap.
All Bassani or all Magnaflow is more my liking, mild for cruising but makes top power and lets the sound roar when WOT.
Also stay catted unless you are gonna pour race gas galore through it, nasty rattle from o/r X pipes should you go that way. Minor gains from going o/r till you get to my neighborhood.

For pullies, only one choice really, Billetflow.

SlowSVT

Established Member
MaximumSVT is right, I would pass on the headers. they are expensive, installing them is a major job and they don't work very well in a Cobra for some reason. You might want to consider Magnaflow CAT backs. The quality us excellent, they have that classic Mustang rumble (quiet when your just cruising to not attract too much attention yet will bark when you get on it, no drone either).

The JLT is a good choice. I have the CIA set-up. If you plan on driving your car in the rain get the RAI, if not go with the CAI set-up

A set of full length sub-frame connectors would not be a bad idea also. I run Hans Racecraft

Welcome to the club :beer:

flyn high again

Established Member
What I would suggest...

K+N FIPK intake. [Or one of the others. There isn't a huge difference between them.] I like the K+N.

Bassani cat back w/ bassani x pipe. With the Bassani, you have the option of leaving the baffles in or removing them. Mine are removed. Dun4791 has the x pipe, too, and he took the fiberglass insulation off the baffles and put them back in. His car sounds great so I may try that. although, I have people tell me that my car sounds great, too. Just this morning I received another compliment on the sound. Not too loud at idle or cruising but growls and roars when floored. Borla sounds good but is much louder. Magnaflow sounds OK and is cheapest of the three.

MGW shifter. The stock shifter has a long reach to 3rd and 5th and is mushy. The MGW is the newest and best of the available shifters.

Billetflow 2.93 or 2.76 upper pulley. 2.76 will heat up the blower more than the 2.93 but will give more torque. Also consider at least one idler pulley and preferably the entire idler set to minimize belt slip. You will need either a chip or a computer flash to tune the computer to handle the new pulley.

Then...

Ported blower by Stiegemeier.

This combo will put you around 500 rwhp. To go further you will need to address your fuel delivery system and use the Boost-a-pump or twin Focus fuel pumps. 500rwhp is easy. After that it gets more expensive.

The next level involves replacing the blower with a Kenne Bell or Whipple. They are more efficient and will put you well into the high 500rwhp numbers or 600-700rwhp if you add smaller pulleys and/or a lower pulley to get more boost. Nitrous is another option for more power.

Wheel hop and the weakness of the rear end should also be addressed. The power does no good if you can't put it to the ground. drag radials, bushings, IRS brace [Billetflow], anti hop shocks will all help to some extent, or you can get rid of the IRS and get a solid rear end.

I suggest finding a local Mustang Cobra club or a group of guys who have Cobras and let them show you what they have. Nothing beats seeing the mods in person. We all love to show off our cars so you will have no shortage of people who will help.

Don't forget to call Doug from BilletFlow... Good luck and have fun.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Flyn high

Holy cow!, he just got the car and your talk'n about getting a Kenne Bell, focus fuel pumps and a solid rear axle. After reading this one the guy is going into information overload.

Keep it simple. Just start off with a cat back and air intake system. That exhaust your recommending is going to be loud.

BenD

Established Member
Headers worth consideration

I have to agree that installation headaches are simply a fact of life when it comes to installing any type of headers on the Cobras. I have to admit that I avoided that mod for nearly 3 years, but finally decided that the HP gains were a secondary consideration.

More important than HP gains is engine heat relief. Anytime you can get rid of the red hot comustion gases more quickly and efficiently the better, especially with this engine. Granted, header installation is less of a task if the engine is out of the car or in my case a K-Member install.

Once you see the stock headers out of the car you wonder how the car ran as well as it does. They are really poorly designed and look like an after thought.

My recommendation is bite the bullet and include headers in your mod list at some point in time, sooner the better. You want that heat going out the tail pipes, not staying in the engine compartment!. Look at it as probably the best heat reduction mod, followed by a larger radiator and heat exchanger.

flyn high again

Established Member
SlowSVT said:
Flyn high

Holy cow!, he just got the car and your talk'n about getting a Kenne Bell, focus fuel pumps and a solid rear axle. After reading this one the guy is going into information overload.

Keep it simple. Just start off with a cat back and air intake system. That exhaust your recommending is going to be loud.

LOL! I'm just showing him the process many of us have followed. Most of us don't get to the Kenne Bell stage. I figured that since he doesn't have internet access, I would give it to him all at once... :-D

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
The headers will give the car a sound that only headers can deliver, but they will NEVER give you the performance increase you would expect. It just doesn't happen on this car unless you really bump up the hp. When you look at the stock exhaust, you wonder how this can be...but it is. Jim Belle says they're not worth anything to speak of until you get to around 700 hp!! If you want performance, but your money somewhere else. At least the Bassani mid-lengths are the easiest to install...and that still ain't easy!!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I preferred Reichard Racing pullies but Doug makes a great pulley. No doubt about it. One advantage of the Billetflow pulley is that you can have Doug color anodize it to (somewhat) match your exterior. They come in blue, red, black and maybe other colors. Not sure. Check with Doug.

Users who are viewing this thread