never heard this one before

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowsonicblue

Established Member
first of all my friend recieved this ticket not me but i think it's a little bs but not sure

ok so my friend was on his way to our baseball game and got pulled over for speeding :bash: :bash: stupid yes
well his DL was in his bat bag in the trunck so he popped the trunk and the officer saw his nitrous bottle and gave him a ticket for transporting combustable material without a proper liscence (probly not the exact citation) the officer told him he had to have some sort of hazmat liscence to have that in his car
has anyone ever heard of this or is it complete BS any help would be great
thanks
Justin

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
transporting nitrous oxide in a vehicle that is not liscensed for it (IE a commercial vehicle that is placcarded and a driver that has had some sort of hazmat training) is illegal.

The whole idea behind placcarding is for the safety of emergency response crews that show up on the scene of your accident. The placcards indicate: combustible, corrosive, oxidier, reactive to water, etc. so FD/hazmat can take the necessary precautions. Hosing down a truck filled with acid by using water will result in much pain. :cuss:

Your friend would have received the same ticket if he were transporting a visible quantity of acid, reactive metals like phosphorus or sodium, or even ammonium nitrate (cow shit). :rolling:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
ElGato said:
transporting nitrous oxide in a vehicle that is not liscensed for it (IE a commercial vehicle that is placcarded and a driver that has had some sort of hazmat training) is illegal.

The whole idea behind placcarding is for the safety of emergency response crews that show up on the scene of your accident. The placcards indicate: combustible, corrosive, oxidier, reactive to water, etc. so FD/hazmat can take the necessary precautions. Hosing down a truck filled with acid by using water will result in much pain. :cuss:

Your friend would have received the same ticket if he were transporting a visible quantity of acid, reactive metals like phosphorus or sodium, or even ammonium nitrate (cow shit). :rolling:
While I agree with most of your post,
Acid hosed down with water? Well that depends on what kind of acid.

Almost all hazardous materials have a certain quantity that must be transported before you need hazmat license or placards.
I could ride around with a tank strapped to the trunk full of Diesel as long as its less than 500 gallons.

Now I'm not sure on nitrous but you get the idea. I could possible find out but it will take me some time.

I think some places allow you to have it but not hooked up on the streets.
If not all racers that use nitrous would need haz mat training just because they have a nitrous bottle in their race trailer.
I would need one for having 2 5gal jugs of race fuel.

Nasty Notch

Resident Dissident
Established Member
From what I heard its only illegal if the valve is open. Sounds like BS to me because whens the last time someone got a ticket for transporting a bottle of propane for their grill?

slowsonicblue

Established Member
when he told me the whole story i just laughed like he was joking.
like i said it sounded like bs to me but, i am by no meens an expert in this area. now that ive heard some of you guys both sides sounds ok.
however correct me if im wrong i was under the impression nitrous was not combustable by itself??????????
i will try to find an answer if i do i'll let you guys know

PSI87

Banned
No n2o no crime? Did the officer confirm that the bottle was not empty? I dunno if it makes a difference or not, but from just seeing a n2o bottle, that doesn't tell you wether or not there actually is any nitrous.

BM1

Established Member
Nitrous oxide by itself is not flammable. However, it is considered a hazardous material.

Nitrous oxide acts as an accelerant when it comes in contact with fire or extreme heat.

Nitrous oxide may also decompose violently when it reaches 1,112 degrees fahrenheit or greater. The bottle or cylinder its being contained with may vent or rupture violently from pressure when involved in a fire situation.

US DOT Transportation Codes:

Proper Shipping Name: Nitrous Oxide
Hazard Class: 2.2 (5.1)
Identification Number: UN 1070
Shipping Label: NONFLAMMABLE GAS, OXIDIZER

Last edited:

SeankySnake

Established Member
This sounds like BS to me also. Here is an example, a person goes to Lowe's,Home Depot or etc and buys a gallon of muratic acid to clean bricks or their concrete driveway, on the way home they get stopped and recive a ticket due to transporting a extremely crossive acid and recive a tick for transporting with out a license. Who pays for the ticket the place of purchase or the consumer? And the last time that I looked at a N20 bottle there is nothing stating on the bottle about it being illegal to transport it? This is a gray area within the law.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
For all the people calling BS, how many of you are actually familiar with the Colorado state statutes that dictate this?

SeankySnake

Established Member
Why should this only pretane to CO? HAZMAT is a "NATIONAL" compliance as well as being incompliance with MSDS.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
SeankySnake said:
This sounds like BS to me also. Here is an example, a person goes to Lowe's,Home Depot or etc and buys a gallon of muratic acid to clean bricks or their concrete driveway, on the way home they get stopped and recive a ticket due to transporting a extremely crossive acid and recive a tick for transporting with out a license. Who pays for the ticket the place of purchase or the consumer? And the last time that I looked at a N20 bottle there is nothing stating on the bottle about it being illegal to transport it? This is a gray area within the law.
Trust me, Muratic isn't extremely corrosive.
Try HF or HCL, then your talking. I work with this stuff daily.

MightyMo

Established Member
It is total BS ! Argue the point, why doesn't the officer cite you for carrying oil, gasoline, ethlyene glycol, battery acid and freon? Nitrous is perfectly legal !!
Perhaps the NOS manufacturer would like to hear about your ticket? Its obvious your being harassed by that cop.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
SeankySnake said:
Why should this only pretane to CO? HAZMAT is a "NATIONAL" compliance as well as being incompliance with MSDS.

Hazmat Placarding has to do with Federal Law of Commercial Vehicles, not non commercial passenger vehicles which are regulated by state motor vehicle code.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
MightyMo said:
It is total BS ! Argue the point, why doesn't the officer cite you for carrying oil, gasoline, ethlyene glycol, battery acid and freon? Nitrous is perfectly legal !!
Perhaps the NOS manufacturer would like to hear about your ticket? Its obvious your being harassed by that cop.

Because the legislature of that state wrote a law that prohibits it. Why cant people understand that L.E.O.s enforce the laws written by your elected legislators. They dont write them.

So, the reason a L.E.O, doesnt write a summons for those things you have listed is because they arent legislated to be illegal!

Do you understand?

Next do you understand the definition of harassment? He wasnt being harassed.

And now is a good time for me to point out that you need to read the rules of this forum before posting again.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I'm having trouble finding the law for Colorado but so far almost every state sats 2 things about Nitrous oxide.

1. If your under 18 you can't buy it. Period.
2. If it's in your car on public roads the bottle must be unhooked. Tivket and fine if it's hooked.

On a side note, the fines went really high if it was hooked up and you are caught street racing.

MightyMo

Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
Because the legislature of that state wrote a law that prohibits it. Why cant people understand that L.E.O.s enforce the laws written by your elected legislators. They dont write them.

So, the reason a L.E.O, doesnt write a summons for those things you have listed is because they arent legislated to be illegal!

Do you understand?

Next do you understand the definition of harassment? He wasnt being harassed.

And now is a good time for me to point out that you need to read the rules of this forum before posting again.

Its easy to get bent out of shape after reading a posting on SVT Performance.com, your a moderator and I understand you have a role to play. I can assure you I'm not bent out of shape on this issue. Asking me if I understand implies a foolish point. Your a "moderator", key part is "moderate" as in don't fly off the handle when "you think" its hitting the fan.

For the last 16 years I have been a fully qualified Hazmat inspector for both civilian and military international and domestic sea, air and surface movement of all types of hazmat. At the moment I actually certify movement of hazmat via surface in the CONUS. I know my laws and I know my hazmat.

That cop misunderstood that law and it would be all to easy to get the charges dismissed.

Now your turn, go find the law that says the cop was right to enforce that law you say the legislators enacted.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
MightyMo said:
Its easy to get bent out of shape after reading a posting on SVT Performance.com, your a moderator and I understand you have a role to play. I can assure you I'm not bent out of shape on this issue. Asking me if I understand implies a foolish point. Your a "moderator", key part is "moderate" as in don't fly off the handle when "you think" its hitting the fan.

While I appreciate you trying to define my role as a moderator, you are incorrect.

MightyMo said:
For the last 16 years I have been a fully qualified Hazmat inspector for both civilian and military international and domestic sea, air and surface movement of all types of hazmat. At the moment I actually certify movement of hazmat via surface in the CONUS. I know my laws and I know my hazmat.

Congratulations. I am sure you do know the laws regarding Hazmat, but the author posted he wasnt sure of what his "friend" got a citation for, it has only been implied that it was a hazmat violation. Therefore my statement is correct that unless you know the laws of the specific jurisdiction you cant say it is not correct.

I havent said he was right or wrong, yet without knowing the facts of the situation and without considering an alternative you claim the summons to be BS. Second you further point out it is harassment, and you clearly dont understand the definition of harassment nor the elements of the law involved in harassment, you are simply throwing out buzz words to get a response, regardless of the accuracy.

MightyMo said:
That cop misunderstood that law and it would be all to easy to get the charges dismissed.

Great, since you know the officer didnt understand the law, please tell me which state statute the officer wrote the ticket under. As you must know that, if you can claim the officer didnt understand the law he was ticketing the driver for. You dont get to claim he doesnt understand the Hazmat Law for the State of Colorado since the author doesnt know the statute he was ticketed under.

MightyMo said:
Now your turn, go find the law that says the cop was right to enforce that law you say the legislators enacted.

There is no need for me to do that, since you must know the law the officer wrote the ticket under since you said he doesnt understand the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread