Nevada Open Road Challenge May 2013

SteveWK

Established Member
I think Van should run his car, but according to the rules he would be relegated to some junior class. You must have run a previous event before you can really haul ass and the beginners class is limited to 124 mph. How fun would that be?

I think it would be a blast to run though, and I realize there is more to it than just going fast on a straight. It's just getting up to speed (pun) and being allowed to run fast is the problem. It would take more than just a whim to do.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I think Van should run his car, but according to the rules he would be relegated to some junior class. You must have run a previous event before you can really haul ass and the beginners class is limited to 124 mph. How fun would that be?

I think it would be a blast to run though, and I realize there is more to it than just going fast on a straight. It's just getting up to speed (pun) and being allowed to run fast is the problem. It would take more than just a whim to do.

I was considering this as well until I read the info on their site awhile back. It's a lot of money for the required driving school for 1st timers and then the specific class fee just to go 110mph. Someone like Van would be able to get a free bump to a higher class by staff due to his experience and classifications (instructor status, texas Mile record, etc) but for the average Joe like me the cost to run a 7 mile straight at a whopping 110mph is a real deterrent. I've run several road course events as well as 4 full seasons of autocross events over the years but I have a feeling that would not be enough for the staff to grant me a waiver to a higher run class. :(

Bisbee Kid

Established Member
Fall run for the Silver State

I won't be able to make the spring challenge but trying for the fall. One of the reasons traded up from an 07 GT500 to the 13. Will be consulting Van on
several mods once we finish our project at work. Right now just in the planning stages. May move back to Phoenix from Knoxville then run. Know several people in AZ that have ran both for several years. Even in the lower class to start will be nice to get the car out for a longer run & enjoy what they
are designed for.

smrtasp

Established Member
In our cars with the right gear (5 point harness and not a convertible) we should be able to run the 124 tech speed which means a 140 max and I think a 90 slowest. The run I did a few years ago was like this with a buddy who was a first time driver. I had a convertible at the time so I was limited to a 90 tech speed with a 110 max. I haven't looked all the way through the latest rules but attending the class at the speedway with the right safety gear should allow some of us to run at the higher speed. In any case, its a fun few days with a bunch of car lovers.

smrtasp

Established Member
I read through the rules this morning and as LethalChem pointed out, there are some newer rules around first timers. The last time I did this was too long ago to be considered so I would have to run through the school and could only max at the 110 tech speed (124 max speed) and then the next time I could run in the grand touring at the 125 tech (140) max. They do this twice a year and its a pretty safe and legal way to open our cars up.

Users who are viewing this thread