Networking help needed.

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
I'm terrible with networking and I have run into a problem with my router. Chances are it's shot and I need to purchase a new one but I know we have a few members here that know their stuff around networking.

So recently I've been having Internet connection issues and I've done my normal power cycle to my modem and router. But just today I was working on my desktop and my Internet started to slow down to a crawl. I couldn't load Web pages but for some reason I was still connected to my game (even though my connection spiked for a bit) and was still able to stream music. So I power cycled both units again and now I can't get my Internet to work through my router.

I can confirm that my modem is working properly. I am running it wired directly to it right now. As soon as I connect it back to my router, I drop connection. I can, however, detect my router with all my devices (wired and wireless). It's just not giving me Internet connection. Also I confirmed that I have a strong connection with my ISP so that's not the issue either.

Any networking wizards have any ideas on what could be going on? Thanks.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Maybe I missed it...but have you messed with the router's settings or has it gone through an update?

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
The only way to diagnose anything would be to look at the settings in the router.

evolve

Established Member
All sw/fw up to date? Are you wired or wireless? If wireless can you run ethernet to try an connect?

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I'm terrible with networking and I have run into a problem with my router. Chances are it's shot and I need to purchase a new one but I know we have a few members here that know their stuff around networking.

So recently I've been having Internet connection issues and I've done my normal power cycle to my modem and router. But just today I was working on my desktop and my Internet started to slow down to a crawl. I couldn't load Web pages but for some reason I was still connected to my game (even though my connection spiked for a bit) and was still able to stream music. So I power cycled both units again and now I can't get my Internet to work through my router.

I can confirm that my modem is working properly. I am running it wired directly to it right now. As soon as I connect it back to my router, I drop connection. I can, however, detect my router with all my devices (wired and wireless). It's just not giving me Internet connection. Also I confirmed that I have a strong connection with my ISP so that's not the issue either.

Any networking wizards have any ideas on what could be going on? Thanks.

Just to double check what you're saying-
router has been acting like ass
direct wire desktop to modem works great
router to modem now = no internet connection?

What kind of router do you have?

Unplug both the modem and the router, disconnect everything hardwired to the router. Plug in the modem and wait for it to get all synced up, and then connect the router to the modem and plug it in. Let the router get all synced up and hardwire your computer to the router. If your connection doesn't come back, right click on your taskbar network icon and choose troubleshoot connection issues. You might find something there to follow. Or you could check and see if you're mac address spoofing with your router. If not, have your router spoof your desktops mac address and see if your connection comes back. Last, if you're comfortable with rebuilding your networking settings you could try a factory reset on the router.

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
All sw/fw up to date? Are you wired or wireless? If wireless can you run ethernet to try an connect?

I'll update the firmware when I get home. I'm assuming I can just save the update file on my computer then reconnect it to my router and begin the process from that point, right?

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
Just to double check what you're saying-
router has been acting like ass
direct wire desktop to modem works great
router to modem now = no internet connection?

Yes, that's basically the rundown. All my devices (wireless and wired) can connect to my router still. Just without getting internet connection.

What kind of router do you have?

Linksys EA2700

Unplug both the modem and the router, disconnect everything hardwired to the router. Plug in the modem and wait for it to get all synced up, and then connect the router to the modem and plug it in. Let the router get all synced up and hardwire your computer to the router. If your connection doesn't come back, right click on your taskbar network icon and choose troubleshoot connection issues. You might find something there to follow. Or you could check and see if you're mac address spoofing with your router. If not, have your router spoof your desktops mac address and see if your connection comes back. Last, if you're comfortable with rebuilding your networking settings you could try a factory reset on the router.

I did all the steps up to the spoofing. I'll give it a shot when I get home. Thanks.

alicecooper

Established Member
When it slows to a crawl, open cmd and type this.

tracert www.google.com

That will tell you where the issue is in your connection. Let it go through the hops then do it again. I would do it atleast 3-5 times in case your network decides to behave during the test. It will show the speed in between each hop (ms), if anything is above 100ms, then the connection is slow to that hop.

For example, if I ran a tracert at home it would look like this.

1 1ms 1ms 2ms 192.168.1.1 (this is your router)
2 37ms 2ms 5ms nwinternet
3 * * * <----- this would signal a timeout, meaning the connection is dropping.

You don't want to see the first hop going above 10ms, granted it will still run fast, but it should almost always be within 3ms because that's LAN speed, unless your router is messed up.

EDIT: Bah lol, I missed the very last part of your post, i guess it sounds like it is a router issue. I would suggest a factory reset, or trying a different router if you have one. I was experiencing this issue with my dads router over wireless and I tried just about everything except a factory reset and it wouldn't resolve. Even updated the firmware.

Last edited:

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
I just got home from work and factory reset my router and it seems to be working fine again. I will update this if connection issues continue. Thanks again for all the suggestions guys.

Users who are viewing this thread