network nerds--what do i need?

4camV8

Established Member
this is pretty simple, and i think i already know the answer, but here goes:

i have a wireless linksys router with 4 ports for wired hookups too. my work connection for whatever reason needs to be wired, so i have the router downstairs and a long cable running upstairs to my bedroom where i have my home office. the wire just runs up and plugs into my desktop. however, soon i am going to have 3 computers in my home office all wired. rather than running more long cables upstairs, can i just get a "splitter" of sorts to plug into the end of the existing long wire and then plug the three comp's into that? what's the piece of hardware called? hub? switch? any info appreciated...

mmars

Meet me in the twisties!
Established Member
If I understand correctly, you have a the 4-port router downstairs with a long cable running upstairs to your home office. Soon you are going to put 3 computers in your home office? Your work computer is downstairs? And you want to keep it down stairs.

If that's the case, why not move the router upstairs to your home office, plug your 3 computers into it and the cable that runs from your home office to the downstairs plug it into your work computer and the 4th port on the router.

ibanezkm

Established Member
;-) simply put, if you wanna add more computers to that you can just put a switch connected to that ethernet cable running upstairs. Just get a 4 port switch, plug that ethernet wire into the 4th port in the switch. You now have a small network with those computers. Don't get a hub, they are out. One note....switches hook computers together....routers get you to the Internet.

Last edited:

4camV8

Established Member
ibanezkm said:
simply put, if you wanna add more computers to that you can just put a switch connected to that ethernet cable running upstairs. Just get a 4 port switch, plug that eithernet wire into the 4th port in the switch. You now have a small network with those computers. Don't get a hub, they are out.

cool thanks... switch, got it.

mmars... the problem is that there's already 3 computers downstairs so i'd have the same issue, just backwards, if i moved the router upstairs....

it's a bit of a computer crazy household.
:banana:

afro

Why?
Established Member
switch, hub, whatever. On the consumer side of things hubs and switchse there really is no difference. A switch is just an intelligent hub. Get a $10 hub

-fro

mmars

Meet me in the twisties!
Established Member
4camV8 said:
cool thanks... switch, got it.

mmars... the problem is that there's already 3 computers downstairs so i'd have the same issue, just backwards, if i moved the router upstairs....

it's a bit of a computer crazy household.
:banana:

Well you failed to mention that.....

4camV8

Established Member
mmars said:
Well you failed to mention that.....

that's what you get for proposing your "out of the box" solutions, haha...

next time just answer the question! :D

Users who are viewing this thread