Neon, is this fixable

FourSixPony

SLO GT
Established Member
I'm stuck on the side of the road right now my neon took a shit, spark plug blew out and spit oil everywhere and looks like it shattered, and whatever you call that metal sleeve thing piped out too. is this fixable or is the motor toast?

A4D5028A-926A-4408-AA0A-0EF7FABBA2CB_zpsbr7xyfiq.jpg
C2E858CB-56DE-4878-B1A4-A2E632B332AD_zps8ix4wibk.jpg
E0DBC4E9-FA6F-4743-90C9-72EF0ACC0292_zpsyhnyfwr6.jpg

Prototype007

Established Member
When you say "the metal thing" are you referring to the threaded end with the electrode and ground strap? Or the threaded sleeve in the cylinder head came out with it?

Are you burning oil or is the grommets/gaskets leaking around the spark plug holes in the valve cover and allowing it to leak oil down onto the plugs?

wht93gted

Established Member
There's a rubber seal at the top of those tubes (top of the valve cover) and they just sit in the head I think, held in by friction.

Looks like the plug failed and the force pushed the tube out. No, I don't think it's toast, unless all the plug fragments fell into the cylinder and were smashed around, ruining the cylinder and valves.

You'll have to dig and see what's up. At minimum pulling the valve cover.

FourSixPony

SLO GT
Established Member
The plug fragments are nowhere to be seen. I'm an hour from my house and was on my way to a job interview. I'm just having the junk place come pick it up today. I paid $600 for it 3 yeArs ago, it's paid for itself. Not worth the headache. I was going to have it towed home but it has some other issues and iv decided it's not worth dumping money into. Thanks.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
srt4 swap would fix it.

Otherwise, looks like a cheap fix that if you are really looking to part with the car, you can make some buck on it. Unless the wreckers or pick/pull yard is giving you a good grand.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I assume the threaded part of the plug blew out of the head? You may be able to helicoil it for cheap.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
The metal sleeve should go back in. Had to knock it down all the time on my wife's neon and like yours, the holes would fill with oil. As far as the plug, it looks like the base is still in the head and you need to take it out with a socket and put a new plug back in.

Edit: That is assuming the threaded post didn't blow out of the head.

Last edited:

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
My Accord ate a plug about 140,000s ago, I undid my fuel injector and went about my business. I would fix it, unplug the fuel injector and drive that mofo home!

Users who are viewing this thread