Neighbors 1965 Mustang while walking the dog...

svink32

Established Member
Interesting title, I know...wife and I were walking the dog tonight when I see this blue/white stripe 1965 Mustang sitting in a new neighbors driveway. I've never seen the car before so I start poking around, it's very clean, straight body. Paint is good, not original. Black leather and interior in really good shape, all original, three speed manual. Missing side badges but overall pretty dang good shape.

I knock on the door and the woman tells me it was her dads...he is the original owner of the car supposedly. Spoke to her son who is the grandson and apparently grandad repainted the car years ago and replaced the original 289 v8 with a 302 from the factory. I didn't ask mileage (not sure why) but they apparently sold the car today for $15k. I asked if he would sell it to me for $16k and he said yes...so I figured I would get y'alls opinion on it. What's it worth knowing what you know aboveboard, assuming all is true? Anyone have an idea because I'm just not sure.

I'd probably be interested if it was all original, I feel like I see these cars restored for $12-15k I'm pretty similar shape as this one, maybe I AMA wrong?

Zemedici

Established Member
Yeah don’t undercut the other guy, just pass along your number / information, and when he wants to sell, call you first. It’ll come back around. Or offer new buyer more money.

Pictures would help. And are you looking at the vehicle as a toy (then who cares what it’s worth! If you want it buy it) or as an investment (only wanting to make money)?

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
yes the 302 hurts value as the original 289 is long gone.

I say $14 to 16K is pushing it for a Mustang like this, until pictures are present to make a more determined and accurate appraisal.

svink32

Established Member
Need lots of pics, info, and then the VIN to help you.

And why would you buy a car from someone who would screw over another buyer they just “sold” the car to?

Ford didn’t make a 302 until 1968.

No you're 100% right, I don't plan on undercutting the other guy...so long as said guy isn't trying to flip the car for a profit, cool car with a cool story I am hoping he plans to enjoy it.

If the other buyer falls through I'm going to go back over and get VIN and do a bit more research.

svink32

Established Member
Yeah don’t undercut the other guy, just pass along your number / information, and when he wants to sell, call you first. It’ll come back around. Or offer new buyer more money.

Pictures would help. And are you looking at the vehicle as a toy (then who cares what it’s worth! If you want it buy it) or as an investment (only wanting to make money)?

That's exactly what I'm doing. If it falls through I'll go through it with more detail Andy get the VIN etc. To be honest I'm less interested with the 302 I was hoping it was all original.

My plan would be to buy it for my dad and keep it in the family :)

svink32

Established Member
yes the 302 hurts value as the original 289 is long gone.

I say $14 to 16K is pushing it for a Mustang like this, until pictures are present to make a more determined and accurate appraisal.

Agreed, I was bummed when I saw the 302 and not the 289. StI'll a very cool car. Just loved that it matches my 2011 gt500

CV355

_
Established Member
img_0306-gif.gif

svink32

Established Member
Pics:

Attachments

• mustang1.jpg
    mustang1.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_0129.jpg
    IMG_0129.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_0131.jpg
    IMG_0131.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0128.jpg
    IMG_0128.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 200

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Good looking car. As long as you're not looking for collector value in the future, its a fun looking classic mustang. The cars that do have value as a collectible (numbers matching, original paint, stock etc) are so few and far between that they command a lot of money. If that car were all original, It would be at least double its current asking price easily.

She a good looking driver, buy and enjoy as such.

svink32

Established Member
Good looking car. As long as you're not looking for collector value in the future, its a fun looking classic mustang. The cars that do have value as a collectible (numbers matching, original paint, stock etc) are so few and far between that they command a lot of money. If that car were all original, It would be at least double its current asking price easily.

She a good looking driver, buy and enjoy as such.

I appreciate the feedback. When they said original owner my eyes lit up. Once I found out later it was not original paint or motor my thought was I would be interested around $12k to simply enjoy and give to my dad/keep it in our family. I will see if this other guy falls through with the sale and maybe I will show him that cash and see what he thinks.

Users who are viewing this thread