Needing 94-95 GT AODE Help...

FORCE FED

Ridin da train!
Established Member
I have a cousin who is having some issues with his AODE in his 94-95 GT. Long story short... he took the car to a local shop who diagnosed the overdrive was going out. He paid them to rebuild the AODE $$$$. After getting it back he is now having issues with the trans acting like it wants to downshift and getting caught between gears at times for no reason, whether overdrive is 'ON' or 'OFF' starting at around 45+ mph... and then sometimes it drives just fine. He took it back to the trans shop explaining the symptoms and had them drive it to witness what it was doing. The tech stated it felt like it was trying to downshift and after running some tests suggested replacing the Output Speed Sensor on the outside of the trans along with the Internal Shift control Solenoid 1 and a Torque Converter/Clutch Solenoid both inside the trans… which would result in pulling the trans again. He gave them the okay and $$$ later they called him to come pick the car up as it was fixed. No more than 5 miles away from the shop the car started doing the same thing again, but the shop was closed and when he called the next day they told him to bring it back in and they would look at it... at his expense again of course.

Any ideas on what/where to check next? I'm more familiar with the 5 speed 93 back cars, so the 94-95 AODE is unfamiliar territory for me. Is the AODE's shifting controlled by the ECU (located in the passenger side kick panel) or is there another AODE trans control unit located somewhere else in the car? If it is located inside the main ECU... I'm assuming to try another ECU it would have to be strictly from another 94-95 V8 car with an AODE. Sorry for the book.... but any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
ya, what exactly do you mean caught between gears? like it will just rev without going?

SlothRacing

Established Member
The first thing I would check is the Tranny Fluid, make sure everything is alright with the fluid first, never over-look the importance of the simple things. Make sure there's no evidence of anything wrong (Brown Tint/Burning Smell)

The last thing I can think of that wasn't mentioned in your first post is a Throttle Valve Cable .

Get up to that 45+ MPH area where it usually does it and slightly let off the gas, does it change gears then?

FORCE FED

Ridin da train!
Established Member
ya, what exactly do you mean caught between gears? like it will just rev without going?

Sorry guys I should have been a little more clear... but I haven't actually ridden in the said car while acting up. I tried to get him to either just bite the bullit and convert it to a straight shift or to bring the car home and order a well built AODE from either Lyntech or at least PA. Needless to say he didn't listen to me and went ahead with the local shop with a standard rebuild because they were cheaper, local, and he could deal face-to-face with them. Now the local shop has a big chunk of his money and says it's not an issue they've caused, but they are willing to help him figure it out at his expense... even though the car wasn't acting this way when he brought it to them.:nono: CAN'T SAY I DIDN'T SEE THAT ONE COMING AND TRIED TO STEER HIM IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.:shrug::( As the old saying goes... you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make hime drink! Now he's asking me for help or ideas of where to look next, hence the posting of this thread.

With that said... from my understanding the symptoms are while driving at a constant speed - say around 55- and not giving it any gas (leaving his foot in the same position on the gas peddle) the trans feels like it is trying to down shift when it shouldn't need to and the RPM's rise about 7-800 RPM... but his foot has NOT moved on the gas peddle. Feels like it's slipping between gears and will not grab either gear and just revs up if you give it gas. He says it does it with the Overdrive turned off or on, and doesn't matter if he turns OD off while it's doing it. Other times he says it drives like a dream with absolutley no issues.

The first thing I would check is the Tranny Fluid, make sure everything is alright with the fluid first, never over-look the importance of the simple things. Make sure there's no evidence of anything wrong (Brown Tint/Burning Smell)

The last thing I can think of that wasn't mentioned in your first post is a Throttle Valve Cable .

Get up to that 45+ MPH area where it usually does it and slightly let off the gas, does it change gears then?

He says he's checked the tranny fluid level many times and it's always around 3/4+ way to the top of the XXX markes. He says when it acts up and he lets off the throttle it keeps coasting and if he gives it gas it just revs up, but eventually it grabs a gear and starts pulling again. Each time he says he starts looking for a place to pull over due to not knowing if it's going to come to a complete stop or go on. It would be pretty bad if he has the issue with a big semi ridding his arss no doubt!!!:xpl:

I'll ask if they've checked the Throttle Valve Cable adjustment located on the throttle body.

One thing I haven't thought of is getting him to try and pull it down into a gear with the shifter itself when it does it, to see if it makes it grab the lower gear or not.

Thanks for the help and input guys!

Users who are viewing this thread