Needin' 93 Cobra exhaust tips (will lx work?)

asusmilinbob

Established Member
I read a post about lx exhaust tips...and that the hangers are a bit too short to work on 93 cobras. I just purchased a cobra this week with turn downs and really need a set of stock exhaust tips (car looks wrong and is TOO LOUD right now - too loud for me I guess... If anyone has a set of stock 93 cobra exhaust tips they'd be willing to part with shoot over a pm or put a post up. Thanks all.

harleyreb1

Established Member
Will aftermarket LX pipes not fit?

Like a Flowmaster or Magnaflow cat back kit not work on our cobras? If not how much modification does it take to make them fit?

kcp203

Established Member
LX cat backs will work OK if you just get longer rubber hangars. You can get them at any auto parts store.

Otherwise, if you have a lot of money, I have a full NOS Cobra cat back in the attic. :)

asusmilinbob

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like lx tips will get r done...I'd rather have stock 93 cobra's though hmm...Right now my car doesnt even have cats (which I'd prefer as well)...93snake93...pm over what kind of tips you have with info on your price and size,etc. I'd like to find the real deal 93s...dont think I quite have the funds put away to purchase a nos set :) This Cobra has 172k on the ticker...red, gray cloth, moonroof...cool thing is that its been owned by 3 law enforcement officers...a state trooper, sheriff's dept, and a narcotics agent :) I remembered seeing it 13 years or so ago and it was PERFECT when it was sitting at the local police dept...still it isnt too bad for having muchos miles.

got hp

SVT Connoisseur
Established Member
Stock stainless steel tips from 87-93 LX Mustangs and 94-97 GT's are all the same 2 1/4" diameter. If you are going to get them welded onto the mufflers, you can have the muffler shop adjust your tips to fit correctly (hangers).

I do have an extra set of tips only laying around somewhere but the connection to the muffler is less than spectacular. I will look to see if I can find them but honestly you would be better off finding some locally within the years. I too have an NOS catback but I'm not looking to part with it for another 10 years ;)

asusmilinbob

Established Member
I'll check around here locally and see if I can find a busted gt in a yard to get the exhaust from (will look for whole system from h pipe back...), I would suppose then an 87 - 97 gt dual exhaust setup would bolt right up to my car? Thanks all! got hp - sounds like you're one of the smarter fella's w/ a few 93 cobra nos items around...i used to have a ton but sold alot of it off a year or so ago...cant let the kiddos and honey go hungry :)

got hp

SVT Connoisseur
Established Member
if it's a fox body LX exhaust, it should bolt right up with the hangers extended or at least longer rubber hangers like Richard had stated. If you try to stick an sn-95 exhaust on, the tips are longer and will stick out more than usual. You should have no problem locating the tips only though as most stang guys like to put sewer pipe tips on :D

I have quite a few things laying around but they are reserve items for the other 93 Cobras I plan on eventually getting ;)

asusmilinbob

Established Member
got_hp...it seems most 93 cobra fans think alike...there's always another 1 around the corner you'll need parts for :) I'll look for some lx tips if I cant find correct cobra tips...I've had a few cobra's w/ cannons sticking out the rear of the car...(aka sewer pipes...) I like the stock look myself.

02_Lightning

Established Member
I have a complete, uncut factory 93 Cobra exhaust if you are interested.
[email protected]

By the way, plain LX tips will NOT work on the Cobra. The Cobra exhaust has bumped in areas that are made to clear the big 17" wheels. I also have an uncut LX exhaust and can pictures to show you guys if you would like.

got hp

SVT Connoisseur
Established Member
Well my 91 LX Mustang had the identical bumps or flat spots my 93 Cobra catback has. Besides the tires don't come anywhere near those bumped areas. Just my $0.02

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread