Need your opinion on turbo drain

SVT_CAT

Established Member
So I have a question guys. What would you do?! Pump the oil to the oil pan or to the oil fill cap/cam covers?!

I ask because I really do not know what to do. I've been told that it would not be recommended to have the drain plug on the valve cover/oil filler cap because it could damaged the head (sludge and what not) and it would be SO much faster. If I punch the pan, it will take me longer because I do not have a lift so I am doing everything on jack stands.

So I wanted ya'lls opinion on that...

9cobrastang7

Gogo Green Machine
Established Member
You must put it back into the pan!!! If you went with the valve cover you would have to buy an oil pump unless you're mounting the turbo above your valve cover. These pumps are pretty expensive. Tapping your pan is not that hard. Take it off and tap it off the car and make sure you clean it really good afterwards.

SVT_CAT

Established Member
I have a pump and there's no way I would take the pan off, that would require to take the engine out. I had to buy a pump because my turbos sit very low..

theHumP

Established Member
Tap the pan with it on the car. Just use a punch and a tap. clean the area to be punched (the front side, up high) and drain the oil after you tap (cut threads)it. It sounds wierd but it works better than drilling and using a bulkhead fitting. Also use plenty of rtv sealant and avoid using nylon tape.

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
turbowerks make the best oil scavenge pumps that I have seen out there and they run very quiet. I have mine going into the driver's side oil fill cap and I haven't had any problems (at least with that) yet.

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
i have been plagued with oil seeping out from around my oil drain fitting. I even had it welded to the stock oil pan end put silicone around the outside. Still leaks. I am thinking the welder might have been a beginner. But I am going to finally end the whole problem and just break down and buy a moroso oil pan which comes with a drain fitting already made into the pan...oil pump to the valve cover sounds like a band aid fix to me...

9cobrastang7

Gogo Green Machine
Established Member
^I'm with him as stated above coming from two guys that have/had turbos. Not my second step cousin removed told us.

y2k2gt

2V PoWereD
Established Member
i have been plagued with oil seeping out from around my oil drain fitting. I even had it welded to the stock oil pan end put silicone around the outside. Still leaks. I am thinking the welder might have been a beginner. But I am going to finally end the whole problem and just break down and buy a moroso oil pan which comes with a drain fitting already made into the pan...oil pump to the valve cover sounds like a band aid fix to me...

I have my stock oil pan with two 1/2 npt fitting welded to the front. I replaced my pan for the MMR 7 quart pan. The fittings did not leak.

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
I have my stock oil pan with two 1/2 npt fitting welded to the front. I replaced my pan for the MMR 7 quart pan. The fittings did not leak.

well i took a good look at it yesterday and it looks like the fitting does still seep a little oil out, but I also have been having another problem. I put breather filters on my valve cover and obviously they were not sealed to the valve covers allowing some oil to escape and drip down the back of the engine. It was hard to notice at first but I fixed that yesterday and hopefully I wont have any more problems.

livefast1

Established Member

its the only option when your turbo is mounted behind the passenger seat in the muffler location, or on any low mounted turbo as you cannot gravity feed the oil back.

Users who are viewing this thread