Need your help opinion, I have a quick question

Ryan427

Established Member
Well the stock motor went out of my 00 gt(spun a bearing). It was stock beside upper plenum, intake, full exhaust, and a tune. I had a post up on here a while back and got lots of feedback with ideas. Unfortunately I can't find a mach motor close to me as much as I want to do that. So I have decided that I'm going to replace the rotating assembly with a 5.0 stroker and replace the oil pump, gaskets, timing gears and comp 274 cams. Do you think this setup will work? What do you guys think?

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

mrlrd1

Established Member
I wouldn't spend a penny on repairing a 2V 4.6, much less going with a cammed stroker. You're going to spend a lot for a underperforming engine that you'll regret.

How much are you willing to spend on a 4V swap, and how far are you willing to drive? Local Mach 1 engines

Ryan427

Established Member
Well I'm hoping to not spend more then 4 grand. I'm doing all the work myself so there won't be much labor cost. I would love to put a mach motor in it if I could find a lower mileage one. I not against driving a decent ways for the right one. How much extra am I going to spend getting that mach motor to connect to my t-5?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
How bad was the damage?

Id steer away from a 2v rebuild at this point. You're gonna spend alot of money on menial gains, especially staying n/a.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
I'd rebuild the 2v with a forged rotating assembly. A built 2v will make comparable power....don't believe the hype.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I'd rebuild the 2v with a forged rotating assembly. A built 2v will make comparable power....don't believe the hype.

I'd work the 2V over as well. Or, find an '02-05 Ford Explorer 4.6 2V motor to swap in (aluminum block) and do the Trickflow topend package.

Ryan427

Established Member
From somebody's post earlier I was able to find a mach motor pretty close for $2400. It has more the double the miles my motor had on it. I haven't taken my motor apart yet but judging by the sound it's just a spun bearing in the back of motor. What all will I need to swap it?

I'm not wanting my 2v to be a real power house. I know it won't compare to my cobra. It's just a daily driver

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Build the 2V, no need to source parts for the build either. High Compression 5.0L stroker, Trick Flow heads and some custom cams would make a solid daily driven setup. Add 150 shot for the times when you need it. Plenty of power plus no sourcing of parts.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Look for a Mark VIII engine. Basically a 96-98 Cobra 4v minus intake and intake cams. Easy enough to change and they are pretty easy to find under $1000.

Ryan427

Established Member
Yeah I'm going to do it myself. I have a lift at work so I don't think if will any big deal, is there something I should be worried about running into?

Users who are viewing this thread