Need your advice... ASE certified

Austin_9819

Established Member
OK so I'm about to turn 18, I want to become an automotive technician and be ASE certified. I'm having a hard time deciding where I want to go School because some schools don't count for being ASE certified. I was thinking about going to UTI but Its been about 50/50 far as people who like UTI and not recommending it. Some people tell me to just go to a local college while others say UTI. Can y'all please explain what would be in my best interest that will lead me on the right path and why? Tell me which one is better and please give details explaing why. This is my whole future and I need to know just as much as possible before I choose and what would benefit me the most.

Tylerc

Established Member
why not work at Ford dealership or such? I believe they will train and pay you to get certified. Those tech schools cost an awful amount of money plus the tool "deals" they goad you into buying. In Canada it's the same, they get kids fresh from high school to go to these tech schools and pay thousands of dollars to get a very basic understanding of cars.

I've known people in the states that have gone to schools such as UTI and guess what they do after? They start at the very bottom doing oil changes and brakes. Just the same as if you would have started there without school for the 99% of people that do go to school.

Gary Macomber

Established Member
Get a job as a service technician and express interest in becoming ASE certified, the dealership will send you to the required classes as they open up if you are a hard worker who does his work.

I haven't done it personally but this is how my father did it, of course he was a mechanic in the military but after he got out he went straight to work. Now the dealership he works for sends him all the time, he has another class coming up in Feb. He got his senior master tech cert last year.

Gary Macomber

Established Member
I should add they pay all expenses as the classes aren't in the city where my parents go he has been all over the south east all expenses paid. Go there to work not socialize, show a want for learning and don't just throw parts hoping it will fix things, show you want to diagnose and fix.

MG0h3

Established Member
Id skip UTI. Buddy went there after high school I think it cost him like 30k.

I did running start through high school (went to tech school in lieu of high school classes). Granted you are already out of high school but a regular tech school will cost you about half what UTI wants.

I dont think I learned much of anything at tech school though it did get me a job.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
Skip UTI, way too much money. So many kids come out of there and are useless. Dealers want people able to diagnose cars properly, anyone can change parts.

ASE certifications don't mean a lot to dealers, all that is required is 2 years of work experience that they don't confirm and passing a multiple choice test. I passed one of my ASE tests without opening the testing booklet and just filling in random circles. Some of the absolute best technicians I know are not ASE certified.

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
Skip UTI, way too much money. So many kids come out of there and are useless. Dealers want people able to diagnose cars properly, anyone can change parts.

ASE certifications don't mean a lot to dealers, all that is required is 2 years of work experience that they don't confirm and passing a multiple choice test. I passed one of my ASE tests without opening the testing booklet and just filling in random circles. Some of the absolute best technicians I know are not ASE certified.
I can second this, having ase's don't go extremely far in the field. OP find a local college that offers factory backed courses, you may end up not liking after a few sysmester and you'll end up saving from a lot of debt. FYI you should also make sure the credits aquried of you do go to a vocational school can be transferred to whatever state (colleges) you live in. Some states don't allow it.

01turbowolf

ford tech
Established Member
I've been at a ford dealer coming close to 9 years. Started in high school my senior year did ojt through the vocational school. Then went through ford asset for the next 2 years. After that it basically only took me 2 years to become a senior master. Been top of my field since then. Uti is ok if you know for sure it's what you want to do, otherwise it's a waste. I would look into a semi local college that has factory training. I went to osu here that has the asset program and you get an associates degree at least, you don't get that at Uti or the like. It cost 24k total with having to live on campus. I also work with a guy that started a year before me and has done the letting the dealer send you to school route and he still hasn't gotten all of his certs. As far as ASE goes unless you are at an independent dealers couldn't care less about those from my experience.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Check out your local public schools vocational training, often they have apprentice programs with local companies. UTI is expensive, colleges make you take a lot of courses that you don't need. I am an ASE master, but only because my present employer gives $.50 per hour per cert.

Austin_9819

Established Member
I've been at a ford dealer coming close to 9 years. Started in high school my senior year did ojt through the vocational school. Then went through ford asset for the next 2 years. After that it basically only took me 2 years to become a senior master. Been top of my field since then. Uti is ok if you know for sure it's what you want to do, otherwise it's a waste. I would look into a semi local college that has factory training. I went to osu here that has the asset program and you get an associates degree at least, you don't get that at Uti or the like. It cost 24k total with having to live on campus. I also work with a guy that started a year before me and has done the letting the dealer send you to school route and he still hasn't gotten all of his certs. As far as ASE goes unless you are at an independent dealers couldn't care less about those from my experience.

I've been looking into a local college that seems pretty good. It says they have a FORD ASSET program. Is that something I should be looking more into? What exactly is Ford asset?

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I've been looking into a local college that seems pretty good. It says they have a FORD ASSET program. Is that something I should be looking more into? What exactly is Ford asset?

Ford Asset you have to find a dealer or they will help you find one. You go to school for around 9 weeks then work for around 9 weeks then back two school etc. It's a two year program you take academic classes as well and in the end of you finish you get an associates degree. As well as a certificate of finishing the program.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
20+ years ago ASE meant something.
Now, not so much.
And while the test were not extremely hard you did have to know your shit to pass them. I do know some who didn't pass. lol

01turbowolf

ford tech
Established Member
Ford Asset you have to find a dealer or they will help you find one. You go to school for around 9 weeks then work for around 9 weeks then back two school etc. It's a two year program you take academic classes as well and in the end of you finish you get an associates degree. As well as a certificate of finishing the program.
You are correct for me it was 2 months on 2 months off. You have to have a "sponsor" basically a job at a dealership because when you are at work for those 2 months you are technically completing the hands on training portion for that semester with logs of your daily work for a grade in the program. If you don't have one the program usually has good contacts with dealers in the area and they should be able to help. As far as being certified you will be close to if not 100% certified at the end of the program. Be ready to learn and apply it because it goes really fast and quite a few don't make it or are sick of it by the end. I graduated with 20 out of 30 that started and out of those I know of maybe 4 that are still in it including me. And many more left to go into the oilfield or some other mechanical type job.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
You are correct for me it was 2 months on 2 months off. You have to have a "sponsor" basically a job at a dealership because when you are at work for those 2 months you are technically completing the hands on training portion for that semester with logs of your daily work for a grade in the program. If you don't have one the program usually has good contacts with dealers in the area and they should be able to help. As far as being certified you will be close to if not 100% certified at the end of the program. Be ready to learn and apply it because it goes really fast and quite a few don't make it or are sick of it by the end. I graduated with 20 out of 30 that started and out of those I know of maybe 4 that are still in it including me. And many more left to go into the oilfield or some other mechanical type job.

Same here I finished some did not. But I'm no longer doing it. Got out of it so did a lot of other people I know. Mine main reason flat rate sucks and favoritism were I was at. I got a job outside of the field and wrench on my own stuff. You learn a lot but I also had a shitty dealer. My first co-op all I got to do was oil changes. If you end up doing this I would ask/tell the dealer up front on your 1st co-op you expect to apply those skills or work with a tech. Good luck.

01turbowolf

ford tech
Established Member
Same here I finished some did not. But I'm no longer doing it. Got out of it so did a lot of other people I know. Mine main reason flat rate sucks and favoritism were I was at. I got a job outside of the field and wrench on my own stuff. You learn a lot but I also had a shitty dealer. My first co-op all I got to do was oil changes. If you end up doing this I would ask/tell the dealer up front on your 1st co-op you expect to apply those skills or work with a tech. Good luck.
The dealer your at definitely plays a big role. I'm lucky enough to work at a dealer that somewhat listens to us and trains the new ones properly. I maybe only had to cover the lube techs twice throughout my training. And yes flat rate is an archaic system that doesn't belong anymore but I can survive and do pretty well with where I'm at even doing 60-80 percent warranty work

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
The dealer your at definitely plays a big role. I'm lucky enough to work at a dealer that somewhat listens to us and trains the new ones properly. I maybe only had to cover the lube techs twice throughout my training. And yes flat rate is an archaic system that doesn't belong anymore but I can survive and do pretty well with where I'm at even doing 60-80 percent warranty work

Good for you. Congrats man.

Users who are viewing this thread