need windows xp help!!

badass98vert

Established Member
is there a way to restore the network settings to default? for some reason when i plug in the cable to my laptop from the modem it says aquiring network address but never moves on from there to connect. i know its not the modem or cord cause it works just fine on my desktop. what is wrong??

xenodragon

Established Member
Make sure you are aquiring an IP automatically or you have the correct IP set that you want to obtain.

go into the command prompt and do a

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

See if that helps

JasonSnake

Established Member
If you are unhooking your modem (assuming a cable modem) and switching it between two computers, you may have to power off and on the modem so it can give out a new ip address to your computer.

edit: the modem might get confused because you change to another computer with a different MAC address

Last edited:

homer302

Banned
If you are unhooking your modem (assuming a cable modem) and switching it between two computers, you may have to power off and on the modem so it can give out a new ip address to your computer.

edit: the modem might get confused because you change to another computer with a different MAC address

BINGO! ladies and gentleman we have a winner. Vanna, tell us what he's won!
:banana::pepper::banana::pepper:

wrksnfx

FordTrucksDaRestJustSuck
Established Member
after doing the ipconfig /release -/renew if you get 4 sent 0 received 4 lost then from the command line type ping 127.0.0.1 this will test your nic you should get a msg like this 4 sent 4 received 0 lost then ping google.com if you get a response like this 4 sent 0 received 4 lost then the cable is bad then replace it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread