Need Wheel help!

fastford21g

Gear Head
Established Member
SO- I bought my lady a set of 17x9 95 Cobra R's from American Muscle for Christmas for her 93 cobra. She was ecstatic to say the least! They are chrome and are going to look kick ass since her car is black!
PROBLEM- and here is where i need some advice, the 17x9 are to big up front (with wise). They look like they VERY close to the shock up front and they stick out past the outer fender about a 1/2 inch.
If I could find a 17x8 - I think it might solve my problems- BUT I CANT FIND THEM ANYWHERE!
If anyone has suggestions Id love to hear them, I don't know what to do??
Help . . . . . . please :nonono:

Bartman73

Established Member
I ran into the same problem, Ford Racing made a Cobra R weel for Fox Body cars, however they quit making them a few years back. They never offered them in chrome, about all you can do is hope to find a set and have them plated. I can't remember the Ford Part # off the top of my head for the fox wheels. I wish you luck in finding a set, there are not to many set running aound and most people don't know the difference

fastford21g

Gear Head
Established Member
Thanks - Im looking, but Im still having problems finding them. . . .Does anyone know if there are any companies out there that can "customize" wheels - cut and paste? Kinda desperate on this one.

carrew

'01 Cobra Jet
Established Member
M179 is the wheel your looking for.

They were made for fox body cars running a 94-95 mustang rear axle and not used on the front. On the front we just stretched the front fender out. If you could find a 05+ mustang wheel that is a cobra R it would work also. But I noticed nobody makes one.

The alternative is to send your wheel to Weldcraft Wheels Wheel Widening Wheel Repairs Wheel Restoration and have it narrowed.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Are you still using 4 lug or is it converted to 5 lug?

If its 4 lug are you still using the original 93 Cobra rotors or switched to GT/LX rotors?

If its 5 lug what did you use to convert it? SN95 parts? if so which spindles? or is it Lincoln MarkVII parts?

I have had OEM 95R wheels on several fox bodies and never had them stick out past the fenders.... its possible though if you are running the wrong combination of parts.

fastford21g

Gear Head
Established Member
Are you still using 4 lug or is it converted to 5 lug?

If its 4 lug are you still using the original 93 Cobra rotors or switched to GT/LX rotors?

If its 5 lug what did you use to convert it? SN95 parts? if so which spindles? or is it Lincoln MarkVII parts?

I have had OEM 95R wheels on several fox bodies and never had them stick out past the fenders.... its possible though if you are running the wrong combination of parts.

Its a 5 lug, and I think part of the problem is that the previous owner (who converted it) didn't use the rite combination of parts. Ive long since suspected an improper spindle on the car because of a noise it makes when the car is in motion.
I think this might end up in the hands of weldcraft:shrug: Does anyone have experience with them???? How about Turbax - there is one near me and I know they repair damaged wheels, but I don't know if they would narrow them?

buddha93

Established Member
I've used Weldcraft and the work there is top-notch. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. They can easily narrow the wheel without anyone ever knowing.

Before you go that route however, I would verfiy exactly what parts you have on the front of the car and do a bit more research on what combination of parts could possible make the 9" wheel fit. And make sure you research to backspacing as well.......that's more important then the actual width of the wheel for the most part.

fastford21g

Gear Head
Established Member
Thanks guys - I emailed the people over at weldcraft and attached some pictures for good measure. Hopefully they can help out for a reasonable price. Im still going to consider other solutions and see what works out.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
If the car is making a noise when in motion then you have a bearing that is bad/dry and on its way out. You need to have that checked immediatley. A bad bearing can lock up at any moment causing a wreck or can even heat up enough to catch on fire burning your car to the ground.

On my '93 I have a 9" Front wheels w/275 tire and 10" Rear wheels w/295 tire and they are all under the fenderwells and the car is lowered w/Eibach springs. On this car I have 94/95 Spindles/Caliper/Rotor setup up front and the rear is North Racecars brackets with fox axles.

On a previous '93 I had Lincoln front rotors with OEM 17x9 Cobra Rs with 255x40 & 275x40 tires and it was lowered 2" on Sportlines with no clearence issues.

You really ought to straighten out your suspension issues first. With the correct set-up the wheel choice selection will be much better. Paying nearly $150 per wheel to narrow them and then paying another $200 each to have them rechromed is a waste of money IMO. Correcting the suspension will be a lot cheaper & safer.

Bartman73

Established Member
Even if you narrow the wheel, the outer wheel lip is still going to be in the same location as it is now. The only change will be on the inside. The M179 wheel is the way to go, it will move the wheel in just far enough to be even with the fender.

fastford21g

Gear Head
Established Member
If the car is making a noise when in motion then you have a bearing that is bad/dry and on its way out. You need to have that checked immediatley. A bad bearing can lock up at any moment causing a wreck or can even heat up enough to catch on fire burning your car to the ground.

As far as it being a bearing issue- that was my original suspicion. So I changed them all out, but the sound continues. Its like a squeal or a squeak, and happens after the car has been driving around for a little while. Its weird

Even if you narrow the wheel, the outer wheel lip is still going to be in the same location as it is now. The only change will be on the inside. The M179 wheel is the way to go, it will move the wheel in just far enough to be even with the fender.

If I do go the route of altering the wheels , I know Im going to narrow the actual barrel, and shave the the mounting hub. I sent some pictures to wheelcraft, and explained what I was thinking of doing - lets keep our fingers crossed on this one, otherwise I might have to return all four and go with a different wheel :nonono:

Bartman73

Established Member
Hopefully you have not mounted any tires yet, If so you won't be able to rturn them. I ran down som R179 wheels from a local guy. I will get some pictures once I have them on the car. Just going to run them in the front. I am happy with the rears.

red95gts

Established Member
You really ought to straighten out your suspension issues first. With the correct set-up the wheel choice selection will be much better. Paying nearly $150 per wheel to narrow them and then paying another $200 each to have them rechromed is a waste of money IMO. Correcting the suspension will be a lot cheaper & safer.

Well said. Why pay to customize the wheels (and ruin any resale value they may have) when it's nothing but a band-aid covering a hack 5-lug conversion?

Fit it right, fix it once.

Users who are viewing this thread