Need TV advice...

CompOrange04

Just livin the dream...
Established Member
I am looking to put a tv out in my garage but I have a couple of obstacles. First one is the garage isn't heated or cooled and here in southern Missouri we have a full range of 0-100 degrees depending on the season. I am in the process of installing a heater in the garage but it would only be for when I was out there and not continuous since the garage isn't insulated and the garage will never be cooled besides whatever the outside temp is. I need a tv probably around 50" or so and it looks like plasma is probably the cheapest way to go. I am also trying to keep the price around $800 bucks. I see Wal-Mart has one in my price range and I thought about going that route and purchasing the extended warranty, that way if anything happens I am covered. Anybody have any similar experiences with something like this or have any recommendations as to what else to look for? Thanks in advance

BigSweezey

<insert witty title here>
Established Member
Considering it's gonna be covered and indoors, I would go with a regular LCD/Plasma. My buddy had one on his deck...even tho it's covered it didn't make it through the GA winter.
Now he has one from sunbritetv.com and to my knowledge it's still working. He got it earlier this summer. Dunno if they have one in your price range tho.

amigrad06

SVT Noob!
Established Member
I would avoid Wal Mart for a TV. My Neighbor bought a plasma TV from them and anytime it needed serviced he said it was a PITA to get it done. My folks have a Sony 42 inch on a enclosed back porch that isn;t heated and this is the 3rd year for it out there and it works just fine.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
If you select an LCD screen, pay particular attention to the operating temperature. There's a liquid involved as well as a physical process in turning on/off pixels. The pixel response time may be slower in the cold, leading to bad motion response (that I see in most LCD's). Don't even look at the 'refresh frequency'; look at the pixel response time.

You'd be watching football, probably, so a plasma that's 1080p certified would probably be best. I think the plasma may be more sensitive to the heat.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
TV's are meant to operate at an indoor temperature...usually around 60-80 degrees....anything higher or lower will cause the TV to die prematurely

sunbrite makes TV's able to handle drastic weather changes but you wont get one for $800

tistan

Established Member
I just looked at those sunbrite tvs. They want $4700 for a 46". I could buy a cheap new 46" every year for 5 years and still not spend that much.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
I just looked at those sunbrite tvs. They want $4700 for a 46". I could buy a cheap new 46" every year for 5 years and still not spend that much.

Exactly. Jsut buy a cheap tv and replace it when it goes out or buy a extneded warranty for 50-100 bucks and when it goes bad its covered.

I install tvs outside all the time for customers. The oldest tv so far out there is going on just over 3 years. Its a Syntax Olevia. Its under a cabana on a back porch. No issues yet. I just added another one in the opposite corner for his football parties. Its covered so no rain but still exposed to the elements.

Hockeyman48

Established Member
Also compare 720 to 1080 side by side. You probably will not see the difference unless watching a 1080 blueray disc. The prices for the 720 are cheaper also.You might want to consider this unless using it with a Disc player.

65fastback2+2

Established Member

didnt say they were cheap....but they'll last the 10+ years outside, making them very reasonable over time

Exactly. Jsut buy a cheap tv and replace it when it goes out or buy a extneded warranty for 50-100 bucks and when it goes bad its covered.

I install tvs outside all the time for customers. The oldest tv so far out there is going on just over 3 years. Its a Syntax Olevia. Its under a cabana on a back porch. No issues yet. I just added another one in the opposite corner for his football parties. Its covered so no rain but still exposed to the elements.

3 years is not the norm...most people replace an indoor tv every 12-18 months if used outdoors.

also, extended warranties dont cover using the TV outdoors...they cover using the TV for its intended purpose which is indoors. if you do buy a warranty and they find humidity damage, you get nothing.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
didnt say they were cheap....but they'll last the 10+ years outside, making them very reasonable over time

3 years is not the norm...most people replace an indoor tv every 12-18 months if used outdoors.

also, extended warranties dont cover using the TV outdoors...they cover using the TV for its intended purpose which is indoors. if you do buy a warranty and they find humidity damage, you get nothing.

Maybe different areas of the country have different affects. Im just saying around my area (Louisiana) outside tvs seem to last a really long time.

As far as warranty. I would take it down for customer before calling warranty numbers that way they didnt know it was outside. I told the customer it may cover tv if it breaks. He spent 50 bucks for a 3 or 5 year warranty so worth a shot.

As someone else stated stick with a 720/1080i tv. Saves you a little money since you will never need 1080P out in a garage.

Users who are viewing this thread