Need track tips

Tonka Toy

Established Member
Well, I am going to the track for the first time ever. Never been, never ran at the track. First thing is, I've got a 2001 Lightning with 11,xxx miles. Switch to Mobil 1 at 9500 miles. I only have the FTVB and Magnaflow catback exhaust installed. Everything else is stock down to the F1's still on. Now, what I am asking about is if anyone has any tips on staging, launching, and basically all around tips about running at the track. I know that this being my first time I am going to suck so any and all tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dave (the rookie)

5.0Stanger

You're kidding, right?
Established Member
Great you're going to take you L out to the track. If you're going to make this a recurring incident, you'll want to start hauling some stuff to the track with you.

My advice on for starting out with what you've got is:

*Don't be concerned about any sort of reaction time, for now. You'll have to learn how to drive your L, first. After you've gotten used to driving on the track, you can start to work on your reaction times. Start by staging as shallow as you can, and see what happens. Then, try just barely deep staging your L. You will notice a definite difference. This should help you adjust your staging accordingly.
*You'll want to drop the rear tire pressure to around 20PSI on those F1s. After a while, you can play around with the pressure to find what works best for you.

*Since you're limited in the traction and torque converter departments, start by launching with will keep your L from pushing through the starting beams.

*Make yourself aware of what the pit speed limits are, where the turnoffs are after the finish line (You'll need to remember that the lane closest to the turnoff has the right-of-way. Many rookie racers neglect to figure this out.).

*If there are other L racers out there, check with them to see what seems to work best.

Hope this helps.

--Tom

Last edited:

OkiedokieRidge

Established Member
Originally posted by 5.0Stanger
Start by staging as shallow as you can, and see what happens. Then, try just barely deep staging your L. You will notice a definite difference. This should help you adjust your staging accordingly.

Since it's your first time, I thought I might clarify this for ya. If you know it already, sorry. lol

Staging shallow = stopping just as soon as you trigger the second staging light.

Deep staging = going in a little further after triggering the second staging light.

Also, when you are at the line, if you are staged really shallow, go as soon as the second tree light is fully on.

Good luck!!:rockon:

Dave

Go fast and strait, lol.

Really, I try and pull forward a little further once im deep staged. Then I let the truck launch itself after I load the converter, once it's rolling I let the bitch rip.

I have the most consistent times around... 2.0 everytime on stock GY's. No traction bars or slicks. Our track sucks too...

SERprise SVT

Sleepers are fun
Established Member
Roll into the throttle instead of just mashing the gas. On the F1s, this is the only way to consistently get out of the hole without spinning like a madman.

Have fun, good luck.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I get 2.0s on the F1s by rolling into but rolling into pretty fast.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Originally posted by SNCBOOM
I get 2.0s on the F1s by rolling into but rolling into pretty fast.
i must roll a little faster than you
i have run 1.77 on my f1's
course i have heated them up pretty good

Phyxius

Established Member
What RPM is everyone flashing the converters too, in other words, what RPM are you holding while in the staging lights?

Lee

5.0Stanger

You're kidding, right?
Established Member
That all depends on what the converter's designed to flash to. Our L's converter is beyond what would be considered to be stock. But, it's not a full-race converter, either. We could only flash to 1,000 with the stock parts.

Hooked

leadfoot
Established Member
If I try to power brake even a little, my stock 00 trys to go around in a circle.I have done many 1.90's 60 fts and a 1:89 best just nailing the gas from idle.

Users who are viewing this thread