Need Track Advise for 2.93" Pullied Cobra with Drag Radials

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
I posted this in the Timeslip section, but also wanted to post this in talk since it would get more views and hopefully more replies. I'm currently deployed, but have a race lined up when I get back to the states in July. My buddy has a C-5 Corvette with a Cam/Heads/3.90's/Longtubes/DR's and runs 11.8's at 119.5. I only have the K&N and SLP cat back at the moment on the car. I have a 2.93 Billetflow pulley and 100mm idler waiting for install at home. I'm ordering a tune/tuner from herman and will also be getting some Nitto DR's. I've run my old GT at the track to 13.9's on a hot day with street tires so I've got some track experience. Basically I'm looking for some driving and setup advise since I'm thinking it will be a really close race. This is what I plan on doing and am looking for any advise. I plan on having the DR's at around 18psi. Launch at 3500k while slipping the clutch slightly. Powershifting 1-2 and 3-4 only since I've not had good luck with a 2-3 powershift. Headlight removed for any possible help there. Short shifting 1-2 at about 5500 rpm and then shifting at 6500k for the rest of the gears. That's about it. Any tweaks or driving tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lance

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
RED2003COBRA said:
I posted this in the Timeslip section, but also wanted to post this in talk since it would get more views and hopefully more replies. I'm currently deployed, but have a race lined up when I get back to the states in July. My buddy has a C-5 Corvette with a Cam/Heads/3.90's/Longtubes/DR's and runs 11.8's at 119.5. I only have the K&N and SLP cat back at the moment on the car. I have a 2.93 Billetflow pulley and 100mm idler waiting for install at home. I'm ordering a tune/tuner from herman and will also be getting some Nitto DR's. I've run my old GT at the track to 13.9's on a hot day with street tires so I've got some track experience. Basically I'm looking for some driving and setup advise since I'm thinking it will be a really close race. This is what I plan on doing and am looking for any advise. I plan on having the DR's at around 18psi. Launch at 3500k while slipping the clutch slightly. Powershifting 1-2 and 3-4 only since I've not had good luck with a 2-3 powershift. Headlight removed for any possible help there. Short shifting 1-2 at about 5500 rpm and then shifting at 6500k for the rest of the gears. That's about it. Any tweaks or driving tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lance

heres the deal... out drive him... his car is capable of low 11's with all that in it. get far out of the hole on him and make him catch up. cobra's have pretty desent top end so you dhould be able to hold your own up top. down low the C5 is gunna hook better (just the facts the vette IRS works well). but i wouldnt short shift out of first. your gunna need everything you got to get him out of the hole...

einzatgroupen

03 cobra
Established Member
beenstruck said:
heres the deal... out drive him... his car is capable of low 11's with all that in it. get far out of the hole on him and make him catch up. cobra's have pretty desent top end so you dhould be able to hold your own up top. down low the C5 is gunna hook better (just the facts the vette IRS works well). but i wouldnt short shift out of first. your gunna need everything you got to get him out of the hole...
+1 You should start to leave when the second bulb on the tree goes out. It's always got me a decent Rt. It takes practce to roll out the clutch to get maximum traction. But like beenstruck stated and I qouted "out drive him". If you can pull a decent hole shot then he might over spin off the line or just simply miss a shift. It's drag racing, put the pressure on him and get it off yourself. This is jmo.
Matt
Ps the brace is worth it I saw two go at the track last year.

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
Yeah, the billetflow brace is also on my shopping list. I remember launching when the second to last yellow came on when I used to race my GT to get good RT's. Are you saying I should launch even before that? It sounds like you are saying the second bulb at the top of the tree. Thanks for all the advise. I know he has had some launching problems so if I can get him frusterated it would work out nicely.

Lance

00Vette

Established Member
Smokin03svt said:
+1 You should start to leave when the second bulb on the tree goes out. It's always got me a decent Rt. It takes practce to roll out the clutch to get maximum traction. But like beenstruck stated and I qouted "out drive him". If you can pull a decent hole shot then he might over spin off the line or just simply miss a shift. It's drag racing, put the pressure on him and get it off yourself. This is jmo.
Matt
Ps the brace is worth it I saw two go at the track last year.

Well, I have roughly 50 passes on my setup this year alone and maybe 150 total! I think Lance's car is capable of beating me, its going to come down to the launch. Unfortunately for Lance, I have the advantage of many passes on my setup. He has yet to run this setup. That will make things a bit more tough for him.:rockon:

JMO though.;-)

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
Well, finally got my car to the track to run my buddies H/C/LT C-5 that also has 3.90 gears that I've mentioned in other threads. We were able to line up together for two out of my 3 runs today and the results were a little suprising. 1st run (my first ever in this car) I had a 1.757 60' to his 1.799, then I had a 7.726 1/8 to his 7.764, followed by a 10.018 1000' time to his 10.025. The finish was me 12.06/104 mph to his 11.9/120 mph because I MISSED MY FREAKING 3-4 GEAR SHIFT!!! I had a good 11.xx run on my first ever run and messed it up and a great race. I was so freaking mad. The next time we lined up I bogged really bad during the launch, but technically I won since he red lighted. He ran a 11.88/119 to my 12.47/117mph due to my launching problems. My final run ended up with severe wheel hop that I had to lift out of and ended up running a sad 12.75/112 mph missing 4th gear again:cuss: It was a lot of fun finally running my car, but I guess I need to work on my driving skills. I smooth aggresive clutch slip from 3000 rpm netted my my first runs 1.757 60' time so I know what to try next time at the track. On my second run I tried lower rpm and clutch dump which gave me the bog and my final 3500 rpm near clutch dump resulted in wheel hop. I guess on the bright side I got some driving experience and know my car is 11.xx capable. I also didn't break anything, unfortunatly another 03 cobra there broke a half shaft:( Sorry about the long read.

Lance

Users who are viewing this thread