Need to Store the 03 advice please

Elliotness

Established Member
Looks like I am will be gone from September to December. I need to put the car on ice for a few months. I don't want to take the car with me to GA; I don't want the car outside. What do you guys do to your cars to store them. One of my concerns is the tires. If I leave this car sitting for more than a week the tires go square. What will happen to them if I let the car sit for four months:cryying:

Anyway give me some suggestions. Taking the car is not an option.

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Well, I could drive down to EP (three hour run one way) and bring your car back to Arizona with me. Then I could keep your tires round for you! You car would also have another Snake to sit next to in the garage!

If you are going to store the car for that short of a time (I assume it is going to be in a storage building) put it up on some jackstands to take the weight off the tires, and disconnect the battery. You may want to be some fuel conditioner in gas tank.

Only other thing that comes to mind is Rodents. Make sure the place you store it doesn't have trouble with rodents because they have a propensity to find nice cars that are sitting still for any length of time.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Don't worry about the tires, when you come back and drive the car a mile or two they will smoothen out. I worry more about supporting the car on stands and putting undue stress on the chassis. Pour some fuel stabilizer in a fresh full tank of fuel, change oil, and clean it up nice. Like Arizona mentioned, if there is a chance of rodents invading your storage area, address that with all the might you can. If you can swing the $, buy a car capsule, that is great for keeping the car in good shape during storage and keeping the varments out.

Brian

Elliotness

Established Member
Arizona snake thanks but no thanks. :)

I have a two car garage 2/3 of the garage belongs to the 03 the other 1/3 belongs to my tools. No problem with rodents. Two 130 pound rotweillers seem to discourage all potential invaders. I'm was just worried about condensation in the gas tank and tires going square.

Full tank of gas and gas treatment. Will that kill the condensation/ water problem?

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Gee and I was even willing to pay for the gas to pickup AND deliver. :)

With a full tank of gas I don't think you ware going to have any condensation problems. (we do after all live in the desert) I would be more concerned with the gas getting "old". Cobra-R's statement about the stabilizer ( couldn't think of the term before ) is where I was going.

Watch out for them little bastid rodents tho! I had a 94 GT in Germany that I didn't drive for a month or two at a time in the winter... and the little bastids (mice) got in it. Chewed up a small portion of upholstery (top corner middle of the fold down rear seat).

You couldn't see it when the seats were up and I fixed it with some thread and a needle. But I made WAR on the little mice bastids! :burn:

I got the body count up to about 5 and I had no more problems after that!

SuperSonic

Established Member
Mine was stored for 6 months last winter, and all I did was what Cobra-R mentioned, full tank of gas, gas treatment, and cleaned it up really nice. Was perfect when I pulled it out in April.

Friendchicken

I thought that condensation was only an issue with steel gas tanks? 3 months is nothing really to have a car sit. Cars at the dealer sit longer than that.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Had to store mine from November through May here in Detroit, Michigan. I covered concrete floor with vinyl (to stop moisture), put StaBil (fuel stabilizer) in gas tank and drive 1/2 hour, parked car on carpet squares, hooked car to Sears 1/2 amp trickle charger. In May, the car started right up, no problem with tires. Oh, yes, put several mouse traps around car to catch vermin.

Only 1 piece of advice. Next year I'm going to put it in an inflatable bubble to keep the dust off.

stangin

Established Member
Only thing I can add is to drive 30 miles and come back, change oil right away and add fuel stabilizer. Done.

maoun

Established Member
i work with galpin ford and we have a 2000 cobra R that has 54 miles on it...it only has the original gas that the car came with....down to about 2 gallons left right now...ford doesn't send these things full

it's absolutely fine....i wouldn't worry at all

plus, yesterday we started a car that hadn't been started in 10 yrs....same gas and tires...it was fine

storing isn't a big deal, don't worry

Users who are viewing this thread