Need Tips On Dealing with Insurance Adjuster after car wreck

trueblueeyes

Established Member
My '97 Cobra was hit in a Wal-Mart parking lot last Friday. Details and pictures are in this thread: Wrecked The Cobra

I meet with the other driver's insurance adjuster tomorrow (from Farm Bureau Insurance). I've never been through this so I am not sure what to expect. Some people have said not to worry since all I want is my car repaired and not a big paycheck for some fake "soft tissue" injury. Others have insisted that insurance adjuster's are the devil's spawn who don't want to pay a nickel. I'd imagine the truth is somewhere in between since they are just doing their jobs. (Although my dad had a rotten experience with State Farm after another driver backed into my parent's car...It was a five month old Crown Vic and the company only wanted to pay for used parts. My dad refused since it was a new car and actually had to hire a lawyer before they agreed to settle and pay for a new door and front fender). It seems to me that most adjusters are trained to pay the least amount they can get away with.

What do I need to do to prepare to meet with the adjuster tomorrow? I haven't had a chance to get any estimates because of the holiday. Should I rush to get those tomorrow before the meeting? I'm not sure I have time. Do I take the first offer? And is there any chance I might need to hire an attorney. Any and all advice you can offer would be much appreciated. I'd also be interested in the experiences that others have had with claims adjusters.

Thanks,
Melissa

FredK'03Cobra

Established Member
Your best bet is to not deal with the other company at all. Deal with your own agent -- talk to them and get their read on what they can do for you. Your company may have some good shops (as opposed to the cheap one the adjuster will send you to) who will guarentee their work. I recommend this particularly if the other insurance company tries in any way to low-ball the claim, or send you to only 'their' body shop. You should have a choice, and rights -- exercise both.
Worst case, you pay your deductable to your company, they pay to fix it to your satisfaction, then they go after the other company for the total bill, and return your deductable.

Last edited:

wvmystichrome

Established Member
FredK'03Cobra said:
Your best bet is to not deal with the other company at all. Deal with your own agent -- talk to them and get their read on what they can do for you. Your company may have some good shops (as opposed to the cheap one the adjuster will send you to) who will guarentee their work. I recommend this particularly if the other insurance company tries in any way to low-ball the claim, or send you to only 'their' body shop. You should have a choice, and rights -- exercise both.
Worst case, you pay your deductable to your company, they pay to fix it to your satisfaction, then they go after the other company for the total bill, and return your deductable.

+1. Good advice. I would definitely call your agent and see what they would recommend. Most of them will fight for you in your behalf. Thats why you pay your premiums for.

trueblueeyes

Established Member
When I called my insurance agency on Friday, they are the ones who suggested I also file a claim with the other driver's company. So I have two claims (with two claim numbers). Should I just avoid talking with the other company and deal with my own agent first? What think? Thanks for the advice! The closer it gets, the more nervous I get about getting this resolved.

I have also have a question about the repairs. I've been saving and was about to slather the Cobra in custom (House of Kolor Orange) paint. What now? I don't expect the company to pay for a non-existent custom job. But I also don't see the use in painting it green when it will just be sanded off a month later. Any advice here? :shrug:

SpectorV

Established Member
when I had to have my car fixed I went to my body shop, very very very good shop, and they told me they would talk to them. They sometimes like to get used parts due to its cheaper. If you tell them you do not want to depreciate your car by using used parts they generally back off that aspect of it.

I would talk to the body shop doing the work and giving the estimate and make sure its done right.

Dusten

Established Member
trueblueeyes said:
When I called my insurance agency on Friday, they are the ones who suggested I also file a claim with the other driver's company. So I have two claims (with two claim numbers). Should I just avoid talking with the other company and deal with my own agent first? What think? Thanks for the advice! The closer it gets, the more nervous I get about getting this resolved.

I have also have a question about the repairs. I've been saving and was about to slather the Cobra in custom (House of Kolor Orange) paint. What now? I don't expect the company to pay for a non-existent custom job. But I also don't see the use in painting it green when it will just be sanded off a month later. Any advice here? :shrug:

As far as getting it painted. The insurance is going to cut a check, for the work required, be it at the shop they want it fixed, or 2 you. They can not make you get the car fixed at a shop you dont agree with. What i say is this, talk to the shop that is doing the work, find out how much extra it would cost to do the custom paint, and pay them that extra.

Bert5.0

blah
Established Member
SpectorV said:
when I had to have my car fixed I went to my body shop, very very very good shop, and they told me they would talk to them. They sometimes like to get used parts due to its cheaper. If you tell them you do not want to depreciate your car by using used parts they generally back off that aspect of it.

I would talk to the body shop doing the work and giving the estimate and make sure its done right.

The parts they are going to be replacing are used.

trueblueeyes

Established Member
Bert5.0 said:
The parts they are going to be replacing are used.

I have zero problems with them using any used parts they can find. I've even tracked down a door at a local salvage yard. It was my parents who didn't want used parts on their new car and that was a different story. I just want mine fixed..used parts or not. :) The adjuster is coming later in the week so we will see what happens then. At least I will have a few days to get some estimates. Thanks for everyone's help!

Melissa

TwinBlownShelby

Insurance

trueblueeyes said:
My '97 Cobra was hit in a Wal-Mart parking lot last Friday. Details and pictures are in this thread: Wrecked The Cobra

I meet with the other driver's insurance adjuster tomorrow (from Farm Bureau Insurance). I've never been through this so I am not sure what to expect. Some people have said not to worry since all I want is my car repaired and not a big paycheck for some fake "soft tissue" injury. Others have insisted that insurance adjuster's are the devil's spawn who don't want to pay a nickel. I'd imagine the truth is somewhere in between since they are just doing their jobs. (Although my dad had a rotten experience with State Farm after another driver backed into my parent's car...It was a five month old Crown Vic and the company only wanted to pay for used parts. My dad refused since it was a new car and actually had to hire a lawyer before they agreed to settle and pay for a new door and front fender). It seems to me that most adjusters are trained to pay the least amount they can get away with.

What do I need to do to prepare to meet with the adjuster tomorrow? I haven't had a chance to get any estimates because of the holiday. Should I rush to get those tomorrow before the meeting? I'm not sure I have time. Do I take the first offer? And is there any chance I might need to hire an attorney. Any and all advice you can offer would be much appreciated. I'd also be interested in the experiences that others have had with claims adjusters.

Thanks,
Melissa

Being a major insurance company adjuster for 10 yrs I can give you some pretty good pointers. Can you pm me or email or call?

Some states have laws that if there is a lienholder on your vehicle the check will have to be written to you and repair shop. They flat out owe you what it takes to repair car to its pre-accident condition. Nothing more nothing less.

Make sure they do NOT try to put aftermarket parts on your car as they owe you what you have.

You may also want to mention diminished value on your car. That is a word the insurance companies hate!

I can give you a pretty good estimate from photo's.

Newbie first post. came here looking for a Power Lease to purchase.

would be glad to give my input on insurance matters though....

Is your car driveable? If not they OWE you a rental for all days from time of loss to time you get it back.

You really do not want to go through your own insurance if you do not have to as will make your rates go up even if not in vehicle at time of loss.

Which company are you with?

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
^^^^^ Sounds like an alright guy, but ever dealing I have ever had they had been the spawn of satan. Whatever you do, don't let them think you are going to settle for less, and don't budge. I would get an estimate from a very good shop as what it is going to cost, but have them keep in mind that it is for insurance porpuses, and you will be repaint at the time. I have only dealt with them on older vehicles that had been arpaised, but to them the appraisal didn't mean anything. I wouldn't be surpised as old as the car is that they don't come up with some v-6's in the area and use that for general value and try to total the car from that.

JMD0346

Established Member
If your reapir company is on good terms with the insurance company they can call them and explain to them that what theyve given you is not enough. Ive been through it. The insurance is gonna low-ball all to hell.

trueblueeyes

Established Member
I was pleasantly suprised yesterday evening when the Farm Bureau adjuster called and didn't give me any hassle. He even suggested that he wouldn't need to send anyone out to see the car if I could fax him a couple of estimates. And believe it or not, he said they did not care which body shop I chose but they would prefer not to pay for aftermarket parts (even if new factory parts were more expensive...they must have had fitment issues with previous claims). That was suprising to me. Of course, he had no idea how bad the damage was and that was before the body shop told me it was well over three thousand dollars...

JMD0346 said:
If your reapir company is on good terms with the insurance company they can call them and explain to them that what theyve given you is not enough. Ive been through it. The insurance is gonna low-ball all to hell.

Maybe not. There are some times that living in a small town has its advantages. I just found out today that the insurance adjuster who will be evaluating my vehicle also happens to be the brother of the owner of the body shop my car will be repaired at. So maybe that will help. Maybe.

-----------------

And TwinBlownShelby, I don't believe you can receive PM's yet since you are a new member but I would be very interested in what you think about the damage. The photos are in this thread: CLICK ME! Take a look and let me know what you think. Also walked out to find my brand new $130.00 tire flat today. I knew the rim was slightly damaged and I was afraid the tire had it...I had a big piece of the van's front bumper cover stuck between the tire and the rim. So the hits just keep on coming. I really hope they don't try and total my car. :(

Melissa

Last edited:

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Biggest issue (aside from finding a reputable repair shop) is DO NOT allow aftermarket parts to be used. Metallurgy, fitment, and corrosion resistance are often inferior and cause premature failure.

Users who are viewing this thread