Need thoughts on this one...all opinions welcome!

BUSHDIVING82

Established Member
Hey guys,

Been looking for while for a nice quality 5.0. Came across this 94 the other the day and it seems pristine, clean carfax with two previous owners, and what looks like some minor suspension mods. If it was a private seller I'd probably have no issues, but this appears to be a small used car lot and to make it worse it's a good 1300 miles away from me. I would be buying the car sight unseen which is always a risk. The dealer is willing to come down to $14,300 on the car, which I know is still a pretty penny for a 94...

Thoughts? Opinions? Too good to be true?

http://www.maccarsauto.com/web/1737/vehicle/18186561/1994-Ford-Mustang-Cobra

Cowtown

Established Member
Looks Damn near mint there for sure, quite a find. THe extra parts are weird, shifter, gears and some spring mounts and that little mileage? Anyways price wise they are out to lunch. kelly blue book puts fair retail at that mileage at about $8100. Even if you give another 10% due to quality of the ride you still are under 9k. I'd do the obvious checks but it's clear it was owned by someone who cared so that's a plus.

9k in the US can buy some pretty sweet Mustangs but one that relatively untouched? Probably not.

BUSHDIVING82

Established Member
Looks Damn near mint there for sure, quite a find. THe extra parts are weird, shifter, gears and some spring mounts and that little mileage? Anyways price wise they are out to lunch. kelly blue book puts fair retail at that mileage at about $8100. Even if you give another 10% due to quality of the ride you still are under 9k. I'd do the obvious checks but it's clear it was owned by someone who cared so that's a plus.

9k in the US can buy some pretty sweet Mustangs but one that relatively untouched? Probably not.

Appreciate your opinion, maybe I'm being too paranoid. Just wish the car was closer so I could see it up close...

nomoretickets

Established Member
With that few miles it really is a collectors piece, and they are pricing it as such. If you want a 94 to put on a pedestal and polish, there ya go. If you are looking for something to drive, then that is a pretty penny to pay for a car that likely wont run any better than a cheaper car with 20-30k miles more on the clock.

LDC2335

Established Member
I'd give them 10% over kbb. Not a cent more unless you are going to keep it as a collector car.

BUSHDIVING82

Established Member
Well I was say that I have no intentions of my next Cobra just sitting in the garage as a collector's piece. I do want one I can drive and not worry about slapping some mods and miles on her. From what I've seen out there, most of the 94-98s with under 30k miles on them are priced in the teens....

nomoretickets

Established Member
Well I was say that I have no intentions of my next Cobra just sitting in the garage as a collector's piece. I do want one I can drive and not worry about slapping some mods and miles on her. From what I've seen out there, most of the 94-98s with under 30k miles on them are priced in the teens....

There are MILES of difference between a 94-95 Cobra, and a 96-98 Cobra. They are drastically different cars.

cobrarob2345

Established Member
i hate the whole kbb thing. I sell cars and there is nothing more annoying than a kbb'er. They want full kelly or more on their car and then will laugh at it when looking for a car themselves. And both ways, the prices are way off to the point it is laughable. A car like that has no set value as there is almost nothing like it. I saw a post yesterday and some guy said "ouch man you paid so much over kelly" making a guy who got a great low mileage car for what right around the going pcie is for. You can get a deal on a car that someone else has put work into and modified or get lucky and pick up a car someone does not know the worth of or is desperate to get rid of it. Or someone could get a pristine rediculously low mileage car and spend all the money, which you are going to do most of the time if you are getting a mint car tht someone has put the care in, especially a dealer, who you think would know what cars can go for, even if they have to discount it a few grand and still profit on it. Someone who wants a super low mile car pays more for that. If its not your perogative, I understand. But unless there are issues with a car like that 9k for that car would be quite the steal. Im not saying I would not call before hand and see if there was any room before heading down there, in case you are looking to get money off before heading in there as many places are one priced. I would personally try shooting for the 12 to 12.500 range and see if you cant close a deal over the phone. If they are dead set on price make an executive decision. As a car of that year and price it is worth a flight and test drive. Even if you ship it back. At lease imho

LDC2335

Established Member
Ask around. These cobras are hardly collectible, or sought after.

kbb is a fair starting point for negotiations but it's not the final word. If someone offered kbb for mine, I'd laugh in their face. Used car salesmen started and ruined the whole kbb thing. I can picture them all back in the day whipping out that f****** book before offering you some lowball offer on a trade.

cobrarob2345

Established Member
Now its nada and galves. Same thing. But i hear that they are not hugely collectible. Think about it this way too. If you put less than 5k miles on a year it would take u 5 years to reach it to a mileage of a 30 or 40k car that you would buy for a few grand less. Unless ur using it as a daily or close to it. It may be worth paying the extra bucks. If ur putting 10 to 20k miles a year, buy one with miles for less and have fun. There is no real guide for a cars with such low miles as there is almost nothing to compare it to. But all day if its a daily go with a cheaper one with some miles and mods.

LDC2335

Established Member
Everyone is trying to make money. I definitely get it. It just stinks that it has to add stress to one of the most expensive purchases of your life. Lol. I over paid for my car. It was a great car, stock and right there. I wanted it and that was all there was too it. I got them down bit, but still overpaid. I suppose if it's worth it to you op, get it.

I just think it's too steep of a mark up.

cobrarob2345

Established Member
I was so eager when i got mine i was like a kid on christmas. I do it daily but when u want it u want it. He got me for all the money too, but i love it so i never regret it.

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
IMO, if the car lot is honest about everything they have said, then the car is worth $14.3k. You aren't going to find very many 5.0 Cobra's this mint. The value of this car isn't going to go any lower, its going to go up. KBB is a joke most of the time and I only consider using it on vehicles that are newer and aren't going to become classics or collectable.

Now if you are going to buy this car to modify and drive a lot my advice would be to just find another one that has more miles and is less expensive. You can find some nice 20k-50k mileage Cobras for a great deal and you won't feel as bad about modding and driving it. (or at least I wouldn't).

Best of luck!

GRUSE

Established Member
No way never do not buy.A 21 year old car with 4200 mi.Cars need to be run,every seal got to be shot dry rotted or something bad.Sitting cars are just as bad as a beaten one.For a few G more you can afford a terminator,or get a 4v and pocket the money not spent on the push rod 5.0.

Cobrarob2345 the guy you are referring to about not overpaying for the "great low mileage car" did you see the follow up?That car was a POS.The used car dealers neglected to mention the major accident and frame damage on that gem.

OP when it comes to SN95's avoid car lot and there mark up,Cobrarob2345 nothing personal I'm sure your a straight shooter.Private sellers are not trying to feed their family off a sale and usually know more about the car since they owned and maintained it.More so than a salesman who want to put your but in the seat and cash in his pocket.

cobrarob2345

Established Member
All day go private sale on one of these. The fact that you would be able to ask them about what they have done and get better prices on thrm. Im also with you id rather the 4 valve. Terminator would be more pricey than a comparable 5.0 or 96-02 cobra. There are some real nice 93 supercharged options i would probably get on before as well. I would go his route and go mid to low mileage 4 valve and some bolt ons and gears

No i didnt see the follow up but either way i see it on here all the time when buying or selling them. The backhanded compliments or just dick comments with nothing else to add.

nomoretickets

Established Member
Being perfectly honest, the 94-95 Cobra is really just a glorified GT with GT40 heads and intake from the factory. That's about it. It's not really collectible, it's not fast, it's has no more potential than most 94-95 GTs

mustang3X

Established Member
Bought my car sight unseen. 98 cobra convertible, 16K miles, bone stock and showroom new. Was a private seller 250 miles away. Saw pics of the car and talked to owner at length. I actually ended up driving the car home before the wire transfer was complete, you can get a pretty good sense of how a deal will go down by talking to the person you are buying from.

Based on the pics and miles I doubt that car has any issues. While it is nice there is no collector value and IMHO the price is way too high, if I were a buyer I might pay 10K but that would be the absolute max. Let him sit on the car for another 2 months probably be more willing to deal then.

Last edited:

Hockeyman48

Established Member
While it may be a few grand over max value for its condition,if that's EXACTLY what you are looking for, then go for it.You could look for a long time and not find one in this condition.JMHO,Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread