Need SVTP advice on selling car to someone working in Afghanistan.

Driver500

Established Member
So here's the deal. My car is posted on RacingJunk. The buyer is working as a contractor in Afghanistan. Normally I wouldn't consider this transaction just because of all the scam stories out there, but there are enough things going on to keep me interested.

This is the result of our conversations so far.

I'm waiting on his credit union to contact me to get details and send payment.

I have agreed to trailer the car to his house about 60 miles away once payment has been received and my bank guarantees the funds.

He had no issue with me holding the car for a week or 2 after payment is received until it becomes apparant this is not a scam. "This was part of the negotiation of me delivering the car for him."

Am I missing something here? I can't help but feel the need to be very cautious with this deal since I've never sold a car that wasn't done with the buyer present.

By holding the car until funds are guaranteed am I preventing the chance of being scammed?

Should I be asking for anything else?

I've spoken to the guy on the phone a couple times and only once has he given me anything to doubt. When he first called me he told me he was in Afghanistan. On the 2nd call he started with "This is the guy who called you from Iraq", but later in the conversation he talked about being a well driller in Afghanistan. Not sure if it was a slip of the tongue or a crack in the scam.

We've both voiced our concern with the transaction. Him with losing his money, me with losing the car. Just looking to put some things in place that will safeguard me if this goes through.

Driver500

Established Member
Update: Spoke to my bank and they say if the funds are wired from his credit union to my account then that guarantees that the funds are actually in his account. I may create a seperate account just for this transaction though.

SOCOMech

Established Member
Aside from the "Iraq/Afghanistan" slip up, it sounds like you've got a legit deal going. I bought my motorcycle from a guy on another forum while I was in Iraq, we did everything through paypal though. It can seem weird at times and seeing as it's not face to face, or even in the same country for that matter, it can even seem down right scary to do the deal.....but that can be felt from either side. But dealing with his credit union, him saying that you can hold the vehicle till the funds clear and the fact that you're gonna have a location on him by delivering it for him says it's ok to deal....IMO.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I wouldnt deal with it IMO. Move onto an easier sale. Most times if a buy or a sale turns out to be a pain in the ass to finalize, its the universes way of giving you enough warning to not go through with it for whatever reason.

If this guy is in the sand box, get more info on him to verify he is who he says he is. Name, rank, etc.

Last edited:

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
^ well driller, may not be in the service.

it sounds like you have most things covered. at this point if you get the funds i dont see why not. at that time you already have the money for the car.

can the funds be retracted or reversed once you drop the car off? that would be my only worry.

s_x_i

Established Member
If you're working with the loan officer at his credit union and he's a local buyer, there won't be too much risk.

Work directly with his lender once your bank verifies funds you'll be fine.

Do not take a cashiers cheque, be very careful. You''ll only be fine if you talk to his lender and you and your banker work with them directly.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
i will be awaiting the thread titled " i fell for the ""i work in afganastan"" but i really really really want to buy your car scam"

T minus 10 days.....

oldmodman

Established Member
Withdraw the funds from the bank after the transfer, in cash.

Pretty hard to retract cash after you have it in your hands.

Then after you have spent an hour or two rubbing the cash all over yourself go and deliver the car.

steves04cobra

Established Member
Most contractors send a couple years in Iraq/afghanistan, might have ment Afghan but said Iraq. Find out what credit union he has then google them. But it sounds like the guy is legit.

jbs$

Established Member
Stick with wired funds to your account. If such funds, in the agreed amount appear, give who ever the car and title, then walk away. What happens next is not your issue.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
As the others have said a wire transfer cannot be reversed.
A money order or other such device can be forged so insist on a wire transfer.
In Canada email money transfers are very common between clients of major banks and very secure.
The funds are not frozen unlike a cheque and a password is given to the recipient to retrieve the money making it difficult for someone to claim they havent received it.
Interac e-Transfer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Driver500

Established Member
Emailing the buyer. His story is checking out and he had no prob with wiring the money. Sounds like it's legit after all.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Withdraw the funds from the bank after the transfer, in cash.

Pretty hard to retract cash after you have it in your hands.

Then after you have spent an hour or two rubbing the cash all over yourself go and deliver the car.

If you did that and it turned out to be a scam the bank will still hold you liable and hit your account for the money.

Planter

Banned
if you wish to do this, have the the other party have someone working with a power of attorney release to conduct business on his behalf, meet at his bank so the bank can issue you a cashiers check and you can cash it right then and there. otherwise walk away.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
if you wish to do this, have the the other party have someone working with a power of attorney release to conduct business on his behalf, meet at his bank so the bank can issue you a cashiers check and you can cash it right then and there. otherwise walk away.

this.

or walk.

jbs$

Established Member
From an old banker, do not take a check of any kind. Wired funds to your account or no deal. If you do this you will protect your interest. You are at high risk with any type of check.

Users who are viewing this thread