Need suggestion on tranny removal

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
I'm trying to remove the tranny by unbolting it from the bell housing. I am having a problem with the one upper bolt (passenger's side) that has a wire harness attached to it. The wire goes right over the top of the bolt so I can't get a socket on it. The wire is hard mounted so it won't move. Any suggestions other than taking the bell housing out with it?

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
badboy said:
I'm trying to remove the tranny by unbolting it from the bell housing. I am having a problem with the one upper bolt (passenger's side) that has a wire harness attached to it. The wire goes right over the top of the bolt so I can't get a socket on it. The wire is hard mounted so it won't move. Any suggestions other than taking the bell housing out with it?

The metal loom will bend enough to get a socket on it. I used several long extensions and got to it through the shifter hole.
Good Luck

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
I leave the two side bolts in till I get the tops out. Allows you to really push/pry down on the trans/motor to get a good angle on those top suckers.
You got the trans mount out right?

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
postban said:
I leave the two side bolts in till I get the tops out. Allows you to really push/pry down on the trans/motor to get a good angle on those top suckers.
You got the trans mount out right?
Yeah, I got the mount out. I got the driver's side bolt out with no problem. I'll try to pry the wire bracket out of the way. Thanks all. (This site is amazing!)

Last edited:

Sanchez

Don't Panic
Established Member
badboy said:
I'll try to pry the wire bracket out of the way.

Yep, just pry it out of the way. If you haven't already done so, you can also jack the front of the engine up to get a better angle.

Removing the tranny from the bellhousing first is definitely the way to go. You can get it all off as a unit, but it's a pain in the ass because it won't clear the tunnel without rotating.

Users who are viewing this thread