Need someone to make me "smart" on lowering

mbreaux05

Established Member
I'm coming from a lifted 2011 fx4 to a 2013 gt/cs. I've done a lot of searching on lowering the car, but can't seem to get a definitive list of parts I'll need.

The car is my DD, and I do not really plan on tracking it (maybe a few times a year, nothing serious)

So far I'm leaning toward the eibach sport lines, but I want to know what else I will need besides just the springs. I know I'll need the adjustable panhard.

I will like the ride to feel stock, or better.

I plan on putting 19" maybe 20" staggered on the near future, so I don't know if this affects the lowering.

Money is always an issue, so I can't just buy a full suspension kit for 1k+

I'm looking for it to have longevity, that's why I'm not sure if just the springs will give me issues later down the road.

I'm also stationed out here at rural ass FT Polk, so if you know any quality performance shops on this side of the map, that'll help.

Thanks guys:beer:

Last edited:

macbar13

Established Member
Any spring you choose, the ride is going to feel firmer than stock, because you are lowering the car and decreasing suspension travel obviously. With that said, I have the BMR springs and I love them. The BMR spring rates are near stock. I paired them with Koni sport (yellows) shocks which are rebound adjustable and after playing with the settings, I think the ride is sweet. The only thing else I purchased was an adjustable panhard bar and the Eibach camber bolt kit.

So all you really need is...
1. springs
2. shocks (could get away with stock shocks, but ride is going to be poor. Stock shocks do not have enough rebound damping and installing higher rate springs only makes them worse)
3. Panhard bar
4. camber bolts (cheap way) or Camber plates (expensive but better)

Picture of my Car on BMR springs

Drufuss

Established Member
To lower the car correctly is gonna cost around $1k. I really don't see any way around it. As far as ride quality being as good or better than factory that may be out of the question. Not saying it can't ride good (mine rides good IMO), but you are gonna have to give up some. Maybe a frpp kit and minimal drop, with factory control arms.

TrumpetLon

Established Member
You may want to buy your suspension parts as you can afford them then do the install. I pieced mine together over about three months as the budget allowed and am waiting on install money now. I'm in the same boat as you as my car is a daily driver and I need a comfortable ride, but want some handling gains too. I chose Hotchkis Sport springs, Koni STR-T shocks and struts, GT500 strut mounts, a Freedom Racing panhard bar, Steeda upper control arm and mount, J&M street tuned LCA's and Whiteline relocation brackets. I'm anxious to get them installed and see how my decisions on parts meet my requirements.

Drufuss

Established Member
Aspect ratio of the tires you put will also play a big part. I wouldn't recommend bigger than 19's (18s would be optimal), and stay with the same size rims and tires. Staggered wheels creates oversteer which can lean harder on the suspension creating better handling, but with a more harsh ride.

Users who are viewing this thread