Need some Wheel Advice...

PA SNAKE

Established Member
Has anyone ever come across this…

Last summer I upgraded my wheels from the factory chrome 17 inch wheels to 18 inch AFS chrome wheels. They were fine all summer long, no issues.. .they cleaned up nice, etc..

During the winter time, I put the car in storage.. I went over today to get the car out... I figured I’d bring her home and start to clean her up for the spring. I took the wheels off and went to clean them up and found this. … Honestly, I didn’t think much of it… I figured it was a little oxidation and it would come up with Mother Chrome polish.

After about an hour of work.. they cleaned up nice but I still noticed what I thought was oxidation all over the chrome. The chrome isn’t pitted or anything.. its smooth as a button, but I still have these marks. My concern is that I NEVER had this with my factory Chrome wheels… Does anyone have any idea what this could be or how to go about “trying” to clean them up..?

I tried Mothers Chrome polish, I tried Adams two step polish and still nothing. On the back of the Adams polish is reads to clean & prep the surface with Acid cleaner if necessary.

I guess my first question is… what is this.. is this oxidation or what…? Secondly, should I try acid cleaner as suggested by Adams..? if so, what kinda…

And lastly… has this every happened to anyone… and if so, what did you do…? to me it looks like the chrome is fading or something..

Thanks for all of your help.. (Pics below)

Rick

wheels 1.jpg

wheels 2.jpg

wheels 3.jpg

wheels 4.jpg

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
Rick

This happens to my golf clubs every winter as well. Never Dull will work or Brasso as well. Both should remove the oxidation/tarnishing that is occuring.

Jason

PA SNAKE

Established Member
Hey Jason... is that what it is, oxidation..???

I have Never Dull... that wont hurt the chrome will it...? Let me know, I'll give it a shot tomorrow and tell you how I make out..

Thanks for the feedback...

Rick

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
Rick

I assume it's some sort of oxidation, a little moisture that settled on the chrome. Wash it with some dilluted Simple Green or all purpose cleaner and a soft sponge or soft brush. Hit it with the Never Dull. Brasso also should work. Both are safe on chrome. A powerball might help out as well.

Jason

PA SNAKE

Established Member
Hey guys... I ran down into the garage this morning and tried the Never Dull and its still there. Again, the chrome is smooth.. not gritty and if you look at it straight on, it looks "okay", but if you put your nose to it you can still see the specs. It really looks like the chrome is fading if I had to assume.

Kent... I detail the wheels at the beginning of the season as follows, Clean wheels & tires... Mothers Chrome polish 3 coats, PoorBoys sealant 3 coats and 2 coats of wax. and throughout the season I clean and polish with every wash... HOWEVER I've never resealed at the END of the season.

Do you guys have any other ideas to try..? again, I've never had this problem with my factory 17's... I'm wondering if the chroming on the AFS wheels suck..?

Let me know ... I'll be on later

Happy Easter too...

Rick

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
Have you tried a sponge with a rough side for scrubbing. It should be gentle enough to clean and not scratch. If you have any brake cleaner or WD-40, try those with the sponge. Follow that up with the polish.

Scott P

Established Member
It just might be a defect in the chrome. You've used quite a few effective measures so far. I'd contact the manufacturer of the wheels and see what they think.

PA SNAKE

Established Member
Hey Kent... No, the Never Dull didn't do a thing... Don't get me wrong, they dont look too bad, but sure as hell not like the factory wheels... not in the least.

blown86

FLPNOUT
Established Member
It just might be a defect in the chrome. You've used quite a few effective measures so far. I'd contact the manufacturer of the wheels and see what they think.

+1, you should be able to use tripplle zero steel wool, if it's good chrome it won't hurt. But the way the photos look it looks like the chrome has come off which doesn't make alot of sense.

skratpiece

Established Member
Hate to say it but it looks like bad chrome to me. Were they like that when you bought them? Do you have an AFS Warranty? It looks like the defect is deep into the chrome surface. I'd be ballistic about that. I'd call AFS.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Mine did the same thing (sitting in the SAME garage as the car)...the OE's are fine and my AFS ones are shot basically. Its like the cheap chrome is super porous and causing issues with moisture getting "in" or behind it...

Users who are viewing this thread