Need some supercharger help

Shiper

Really Cool Guy
Established Member
Hey guys, looking at buying a mustang soon, found one that interests me. It's supercharged, I have no experience or knowledge about blowers at all. I was curious if anyone knowledgeable about them could look over the for sale ad below and tell me if it seems off. It's on a local mustang facebook page, not the market here, so I hope I'm not breaking any rules by asking. I just don't have the experience to know if this car has value.

The power numbers seem really high to me, but again I don't know much about superchargers. Also not sure if the price is reasonable. I would think the car without the blower is worth maybe $5.5, 6k. I went and looked at it, it's been well taken care of. Guy wants $9k for it. Does a supercharger add that much value to a vehicle?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

It's a 2000 GT. 453rwhp at 6500 rpm on 10 lbs of boost, 13 degrees timing for 91 octane. 122k miles on the car, it's a 2V 4.6 with Anderson F-42 cams with new timing chains and gears. Intercooler vortech V-1T race M supercharger, 42# injectors, 90mm lightning mass air meter, professional products polished intake and 75mm throttle body, long tube headers, 300 lph fuel pump. 3.73s in the 8.8, aftermarket upper and lowers, uppers are adjustable, subframe connectors.

Ford>Chevy

Established Member
453rwhp on a 2v is right up there with the limit of the rods/pistons if the bottom end is stock. Tuning is everything with the 2v at 450rwhp or higher. Some live, some don't. It's all in the tuning and how hard you/they drive it. Try and find out how long it's been boosted for, and who tuned it.

Shiper

Really Cool Guy
Established Member
As far as i know, the supercharger was just put on the car. The tuner I'm not familiar with, but the gentleman selling the car, pretty obviously a gear head based on his garage collection, said he always uses him and he's done good work in the past. Is that a feasible hp number on a 2V with cams? Not saying he's lying, just didn't realize a supercharger and cams would have it that high

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
As far as i know, the supercharger was just put on the car. The tuner I'm not familiar with, but the gentleman selling the car, pretty obviously a gear head based on his garage collection, said he always uses him and he's done good work in the past. Is that a feasible hp number on a 2V with cams? Not saying he's lying, just didn't realize a supercharger and cams would have it that high

Those power numbers are feasible as that T-trim blower moves quite a bit of air and the cams are optimized for a supercharger setup. As the previous poster mentioned though, that power level is pushing it on a stock shortblock.

If he knows the power he has a dyno sheet, ask to see it. Who is the tuner? If he is decent at all, someone on here will have an opinion on his work.

Last edited:

Ford>Chevy

Established Member
Ya as the previous poster said, try to get the dyno sheet if he has it, try and find out who tuned it, and try and get the A/F Curve of the car.

Shiper

Really Cool Guy
Established Member
I'll see if I can get it. I believe the place is D&G Dyno Tune in Hennessey, OK. Every review I've seen says he is a good tuner, can't find a complaint, he's well recommended.

CV355

_
Established Member
Numbers seem high, but not unrealistically so. It's possible that the dyno is "number friendly."

A good 4.6l 2v is around 210-230 rwhp stock. Full "bolt-on" N/A cars are getting around 250-270rwhp. When I had a KB 2.1 at 9psi, my 4.6 made 330rwhp and then 370rwhp with cams. Granted, a centrifugal is usually going to make a higher peak hp number than a twin-screw at the same psi, but I do not see 450rwhp being feasible without serious head porting or 12-14psi.

Numbers aside, the price isn't bad for what the car has in it, as long as everything appears to be in good shape.

Just my $0.02.

Machdup1

Established Member
Adding 10lbs of boost to an engine with 122K miles would give me cause for pause. At a minimum have the car looked over by someone who knows what they are doing.

swaftom

Established Member
I have personally used Dwayne at D&G dyno for a tune recently on my nitrous 4v, and a couple years ago for a mild starting tune for my kenne bell cobra. He is a knowledgeable and super friendly guy. The word is, through other friends that have used him, that he is pretty conservative with his tunes unless the customer insists on more timing, etc. You can probably call and talk with him and see what he says about the car. Again, super nice guy. Hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread