need some real help here

3ohh2

Established Member
as the title says - I need some real help here! My 03 SVTF is finally having some trouble.... Ive heard a thing or two about this before! Owned it since 30K and the only things I've ever had to do to it other then basic maintenance we're inner tie rod replacement and early alternator failure, replace the battery at that time too. it has 85K on it now and replaced the alternator at about 82K. Today it started to bog / stutter when acclerating. happens especially between the 2k to 3k rpm range where most of my driving occurs but it always happens during quick acceleration no matter the rpm. only intermittent at the start of the day and now it happens non-stop so whatever went wrong - went wrong fast (maybe 50 miles today). my problems before seem simple compared to this!

since then...I've retested the battery and alternator and they check out fine. Next I thought that the IMRC was malfunctioning as I commonly hear. I checked the IMRC clip that seems to always be a problem and it is attached. Checked the IMRC wire connection to see if I pulls at start up and it does. So I dont think that is it - even though I've had a CEL that goes on and off saying that it is closed (see previous posts). I topped off my gas tank and added an additive earlier thinking that I just had bad gas since I just filled it up yesterday but it still bogs / stutters and has been noticeably getting worse. So now I'm lost...

My thoughts are that it must be electronic because it happened so quick and that the IMRC must be at fault... ( all of my previous problems - alternator and tie rods happened to other SVTFs out there on SVTperformance before me and that they warned me about everything that could ever go wrong!... and mechanical failures dont happen that fast unless you hit something...) Tomorrow I'm going to scan the CEL to see if any new codes run ( the light is on again) and swap out the MAF sensor (I have an extra) and the fuel filter (thats been sitting in my trunk for 6 months because I'm lazy).

I'll update the situation before I do anything drastic (like take my car to the shop - because I just don't do that!!) or if anyone has any ideas or had a similar problem responds...

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
It's still possible you've got bad gas, I really doubt it's the IMRC though because it's a very simple system and if it's pulling the intake to the low speed runners then the car should run perfectly from idle to 5500 or so.

Have you checked the wiring pigtail going into the alternator?

Also check the wiring pigtail going to the coil.

Did you wash the engine or anything before this started?

3ohh2

Established Member
Todays research has informed me that it could possibly be a bad coil pack by searching for similar symptoms, I will definately check the pigtails and all connections when I get home. All connections to the alternator were solid - this was my initial impression since it was replaced very recently. Washed the engine maybe about a month ago. Also read somewhere that it could be a bad VCT solenoid/sensor.

In addition to the IMRC clip and cable testing out ok, why would I run code P1518 on and off? I thought it finally kicked it but it seems to work at start-up which doesnt explain the code... any ideas? Also the car stutters and shakes during acceleration - wouldnt having a stuck IMRC just cause poor performance or would it cause these symptoms too?

Going to scan it again tonight and see what shows up...

3ohh2

Established Member
scanned it earlier tonight and came up with 4 codes...

P0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
P1518 Intake Manifold Runner Stuck Open (Bank 1)
P0113 IAT Sensor 1 Circuit High Input
P0133 O2 Sensor CKT Slow Response (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

Anybody run these codes up before? P1518 is the intermittent code that keeps coming and going so I dont think it is realated to the other codes or my current problem...

going to check plugs, wires, coil and connections tomorrow .... I think Im getting closer..

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
Sounds like the IMRC may be on it's way out, they can work intermittently which is why the code comes and goes.

Like I said, if the IMRC is pulling the intake towards the front of the car then it's putting it on the low speed runners so the car should behave normally until a bit over 5000 rpm.

When the IMRC fails or the lever breaks and the intake isn't pulled to the low speed runners you have a distinct loss of power from idle to around 5000 or so because that's where the high speed runners start working properly.

One thing to check on the IMRC is again the wiring pigtail, unplug it and see if it's got any green dust/corrosion inside the connector. It's a rare issue but it does happen.

The IAT is in the MAF so you may have a bad or dirty MAF.

The misfire could be a bad coil, bad wiring to the coil, bad plug or wire.

At least it's not a lean code. Those are bad news.

o2 sensors are common failures as they're prone to failure if you bang the header on a curb or something.

I can help with any of the parts you end up needing, just shoot me a PM when you figure out what's going on.

Last edited:

3ohh2

Established Member
Replaced the wires and I have no more problems. All codes are gone and everything is running fine. The wires visually looked good, made firm connections on both the coil and plugs with no visible corrosion. Swapped them out and all problems are gone. Must've burned out or somehthing. Oh well, my weekend just got better..... until the IMRC goes out!...

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
Check the wiring connection on the IMRC to see if it's got any corrosion in it.

The car can be driven with an inoperative IMRC but it'll be down on low end power and may get worse gas mileage.

Users who are viewing this thread