Need some quick Thoughts

01 Venom

Established Member
Hey guys, gonna send the car to the shop this week for LTs, its the last piece to top her off.

With my Eaton swap on stock boost the question is 1 5/8 or 1 3/4, I dont want to risk loosing torq by going to big since the whole goal is too pick up some torq.

Secondly, retune after?

SlowSVT

Established Member
Don't count on gaining much power with headers on a blown 4.6 until your past 600 hp.

Your looking at about 7-10 hp. Sometimes a little more sometimes a little less. Headers can be a real hassle and are expensive.

01 Venom

Established Member
its more finishing the car off rather gaining power, it already makes 472 RWHP cant ask much more from the stock bottom end. I just dont want to loose power by going too big.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
since you're staying with the stock motor and 8psi, i'd probably go with the 1 5/8". like you were saying, i'd be worried about torque loss.

SlowSVT

Established Member
since you're staying with the stock motor and 8psi, i'd probably go with the 1 5/8". like you were saying, i'd be worried about torque loss.

+1

A smaller primary will scavenge the exhaust more effectively out the cylinder by maintaining higher gas velocity (low pressure wave behind the high pressure wave).

Low end torque on a PD blown 4.6.........yea, like there will be a real deficit in that deprtment :-D

Rio, hows your build coming along?

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
haha you said it, like low end will just disappear...

actually quite nicely! dropped the new assembled engine in last sunday and have been slaving away at it in between working. it'll actually be ready to fire up tomorrow but it's supposed to rain so i might hold off until i can take her out for a spin too.

SlowSVT

Established Member
haha you said it, like low end will just disappear...

actually quite nicely! dropped the new assembled engine in last sunday and have been slaving away at it in between working. it'll actually be ready to fire up tomorrow but it's supposed to rain so i might hold off until i can take her out for a spin too.

Cool, post up some pics when your finished.

I'm curious how your block held up at rebuild time. Were the bearing saddles straight or did it require a line bore? It is always good the hear what peoples real life experiences are when they get into the nitty gritty of an engine rebuild. Perhaps it only required a hone but it would be nice to get some details here for future reference. I don't remember if your engine was NA or FI but I believe your were running a Teksid block if I am not mistaken.

Not many guys have a ball to rip an engine out and tear everything apart and put it back together again. A friend saw my car and said "I would be scared to death if my car looked like that" then said "how are you going to get that thing back together again". My response was "THAT IS THE EASY PART!". At some point I'll post pics of the build and you will understand where I'm coming from :eek:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
oh you bet, pics will come. looks like tomorrow i MIGHT have a chance to fire it up and drive her!!!

well to answer all of the block questions, yes it was a teksid. and no there was no re-using this one, it was demolished! large whole on the driver side, and small hole/cracks on the passenger. not to mention all the chewed up sections in the crank case. i'll post pics of that too for sure haha...

and yea i totally know what you mean. this was the first time i pulled a motor like this. not to mention all the turbo stuff having to come out too. i honestly can't believe it only took a week to put everything back together once the motor was back in. it was definitely an experience that's for sure. i give much respect to anyone that tackles a job like this in their garage.

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
oh you bet, pics will come. looks like tomorrow i MIGHT have a chance to fire it up and drive her!!!

well to answer all of the block questions, yes it was a teksid. and no there was no re-using this one, it was demolished! large whole on the driver side, and small hole/cracks on the passenger. not to mention all the chewed up sections in the crank case. i'll post pics of that too for sure haha...

and yea i totally know what you mean. this was the first time i pulled a motor like this. not to mention all the turbo stuff having to come out too. i honestly can't believe it only took a week to put everything back together once the motor was back in. it was definitely an experience that's for sure. i give much respect to anyone that tackles a job like this in their garage.

Cooool, e n g i n e c a r n a g e, I love seeing engine carnage :banana: Something about a crank torn in half, ventilated blocks and gears flying out the side of a diff case is a testament of raw horse power just makes my eyes go wide :D I would get big pics and hang them on your garage walls and your buddies will be :bowdown: ...........makes one wonder why men think in such ways :dw:

Rio, not sure what your past experience has been but you just crossed the line between the guy who freaks out by the though of having to take his car to a mechanic to get it fixed and one whos not intimidated with the prospect of doing it yourself. Oddly enough mistakes will actually make you a better mechanic and no one will do a better job on your car then you. I'm at the point where pulling an engine or tranny or tearing down a motor does not scare me in the least and will do it without hesitation :mj:

What scares me is after all said and done is the troubleshooting that small detail that is hard to diagnose :cuss: or overlooking something that comes back and bite you :uh oh: For that, regardless of experience no one is immune!

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
hahaha well you're in luck. my carnage thread will be up very shortly! and you couldn't have said it better. as much as a hassle that doing all this work is it's most definitely worth it! and there's no way in hell i'd trust anyone but myself to do all of this on my car!

JaCobra

Eaton Powered
Established Member
i would go with the 1 5/8 thats what im running on my car and it seems to do good.

Users who are viewing this thread