Need some opinions...95 cobra with 331

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
I have $3000 left to spend on my cobra. Here's what i have thus far...

Engine:
Motorsport sportsman block (331)
Scat 4340 Hbeam rods
Scat Forged 4340 crank- Mallory balanced to 28 oz.
JE Blower pistons w/ Hellfire rings 8.5-1 comp.
Race main girdle
AFR 185 CNC ported heads
Ported GT40 intake
Crane Gold 1.6 RR
ARP everything
Canton pan w/ windage tray
Melling oil pump
ARP oil pump shaft
SFI Powerbond balancer
FMS Roller timing se
Crane Hyd. roller blower cam
Crane cam roller lifters w/ spyder and holddowns
.080 wall 1 piece Chromoly pushrods
BBK 1 3/4 LT headers
39# injectors

Drivetrain:
Tremec 3550
Stock DS

Rear:
STOCK with almost 100,000 miles

Suspension:
STOCK with almost 100,000 miles

So, of the $3000, heres what i have spent already:
Alum DS - $100
MSD digital 6 - $220 (maybe $200)
BBK 75mm TB and EGR spacer: $125

Now i'm left with about $2555, and i know i need:
Pro-M 80mm Race Mass Air Meter (Shorty) with Filter - $200 (AFM Sale), calibrated for the 39's
AFPR - $75 (approx)
o/r x for LT's - $200 (approx) Also, what size should i get? Will 2.5 x 2.5 work?
255 pump - $100 (approx)
Radiator - $450 (approx)
Tune - $500 ( approx)

These estimates pretty decent? If so, that leaves me with around $1030. I know i need to build up the rear, but i also want to go a little faster. Jim Bell told me i would get a 'nice discount' on a blower, but i wont find out a price until hopefully tomorrow. Now, should i build up the rear and save up for a blower which could take me a couple years, or just go for the blower if i can afford it and just take it easy on the rear? Without a blower, the max power i can get on motor should be about 330/350.

Another option would be a wet or dry 50-100 shot ($500) and a built rear ($500).

Is there anything i am forgetting?

Suggestions? Advice? Opinions? Speak your mind

Last edited:

Scream'nCobra

Established Member
Only problem with the blower is cost. If i can get a good deal, then i will do it.

Also, i have a new HD King Cobra clutch, you guys think it can handle the power? What clutch do you guys recommend?

snakevenum96

Got Boost?
Established Member
I just bought the Ram Powergrip Performance Level 3. It holds up to 500hp. Haven't installed it yet but my friend has it in his 97 and its a great clutch.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
I'm probably on a "different page" than you, cause you're talking about performance. I'd spend about $350 - 400 and get the '00R hood, with the functional vents:-D .

That's what I plan on getting ... when:shrug: ?

That hood would definitely tell people you're a "hot" SOB:rollseyes .

Dan

Scream'nCobra

Established Member
I have the Saleen S351 'Heat Extractor' hood with functional vents. Cools down the engine significantly more than the stock and weighs next to nothing. Its a real nice hood.

MatchStick

Master of the drunken pee
Established Member
Originally posted by Dano
I'd spend about $350 - 400 and get the '00R hood, with the functional vents:-D .

Is it open on the back of the hood where it meets the windshield cowl?

Scream'nCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Dano
I'm probably on a "different page" than you, cause you're talking about performance. I'd spend about $350 - 400 and get the '00R hood, with the functional vents:-D .

That's what I plan on getting ... when:shrug: ?

That hood would definitely tell people you're a "hot" SOB:rollseyes .

Dan

I think the lope of the cam (563/584) will let people know that already. As far as the body goes, it will stay as is, with the S351 hood.

With that said, no other suggestions or opinions?

Jman20427

Die Rise
Established Member
if you only have 1030 left, then I suggest getting a 150 or 175 shot, something along those lines. Then have about 500 for 31 spline axles and C-Clip eliminators. Then if you have $$ later on go get a turbo or procharger!

MARK C

Established Member
You WILL need much better traction! I'd be looking for some c/arms, upper and lower and subs along with some 31 spline axle shafts. As well as a matching diff.
Hope this helps!

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
you could spray the ever loving piss out of it, or buy a supercharger for CHEAP!

but, you know where my recommendation lies :D NAWWZZ it. :lol:

I would get a nice plate system and some stickies. Run around on street tires with the slicks in the trunk. Its always fun to watch peoples faces when you start changing tires in the parking lot. :D

Scream'nCobra

Established Member
A 100 shot and a rear end is very enticing to say the least. But how much would spraying a 100 shot give me with such a low compression?

I just see it as a waste to have this well bui;t motor with a lot of money invested, and it was specifically built for a blower. Only problem is, do i ask my parents for more money for the blower? Or do i build up the rear with the extra money and just wait a couple years to get the blower? What would you guys do? I'd like to finish the motor so i dont have to put any more money into it. I dont have a problem taking it easy on the rear. I can set the rev limiter to 4000 so i wont risk blowing the rear. Decisions, decisions...

Users who are viewing this thread