Need some info for IRS repair

Richter888

Established Member
Wasn't sure how to title this. I basically decided the other day that I was going to remove the IRS for maintenance and repair. The diff whined on the highway and I have not treated the car very nicely.

I did find a broken bolt for the diff mount to subframe. Please see pictures below and then my question.
IMG_20160301_091301_zps7g9skdnp.jpg

Here is the broken bolt in place for reference.
IMG_20160301_182022_zpsphm4bqm2.jpg

My question, is there suppose to be a welded nut there or one of those nuts with that tab to keep it from rotating(I forget what it's called, like on the shocks)?

It bothers me that this was broken and it explains the leaky cover and the horrible clunk between shifts. I'm just glad I found it before the cover or pumpkin cracked.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Is that the rear mount? IIRC the bushing as the threads. But it's been a while since I tore into the IRS.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Sounds dumb but isn't there a similar connection on the other side? If so...problem solved.

If you need parts I would visit Full Tilt Boogie Racing(FTBR) for parts...

Richter888

Established Member
Not really sure what you are referring to on the "other side." The diff mount is held to the subframe by one bolt, while the differential itself is held to the mount by two bolts.

This is not something listed on the FTBR website nor would I expect it to be since this is not a common problem. I guess I'll email him.

Sounds dumb but isn't there a similar connection on the other side? If so...problem solved.

If you need parts I would visit Full Tilt Boogie Racing(FTBR) for parts...

railroad

Established Member
Your picture is so close, unable to figure out where we are in the rear. I have a 99 repair manual somewhere in my computer, but have not been able to find it yet. I am think it is just a nut on a bolt. Will try to find something.

Richter888

Established Member
I'm not sure where the confusion is. The second picture is from above the IRS, looking down right at where the threaded portion of the bolt would be. It holds the diff MOUNT to the subframe.

The side of the bracket facing us(in the middle of the picture) is where I think a welded nut went, but I wanted to confirm if it was welded, or a regular nut.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Over8oosted

Established Member
The nut you are referring too was tacked in place, mine broke free the first time i removed that bolt. I use a prybar to hold the nut in place while i tighten the bolt. Now that i have a welder ill retack next time i have the diff out.

Richter888

Established Member
The nut you are referring too was tacked in place, mine broke free the first time i removed that bolt. I use a prybar to hold the nut in place while i tighten the bolt. Now that i have a welder ill retack next time i have the diff out.

Thank you thank you thank you! All I needed was confirmation. I'm having a super hard time finding that bolt too. Only place that has one is a dealer in Ohio lol.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Donovan:

That bolt is:

Rear diff support to subframe 12 x 1.75 x 85mm 18mm head 85 ft-lbs installation torque.

That information is found at the bottom of our installation tips and photos page here:

http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/installation.htm

Any hardware store worth its salt should carry something like that.

It's somewhat common for those tack welds to break loose. I broke mine as well. If you lost the nut try to find a flanged nut to weld back in its place. Give it a few good sized tack welds. You'll be good to go.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread