need some help

BLK_VNM

Established Member
going to remove the catback from the cobra today to swap on something else. upon looking under the car i came to a cross road.

where exactly would the best place to put the jack stands be. i got 2 jack stands and a 2 ton floor jack so if someone could help me out with some advice or even a picture pointing where it would be great.

thanks justin

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
either under the IRS subframe, or the A Arms. the IRS subframe is a little more sturdy, while the A Arms seem to get a better bite on the jack stands.

i personally jack up from the IRS subframe when using a floor jack, and then put the jack stands on the A arms near the little circle in them.

whatever you do, DO NOT jack up by the pinch weld, it WILL crush it in.

BLK_VNM

Established Member
yea this whole irs thing is new to me so i have no idea what is what yet. anyway u can snap a picture or 2 of what your talking about so i dont come back in 30 mins crying about bent suspension members lol

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
the IRS frame is the bit black tube running back there.

how far off 95 are you, i could jsut come give you a hand if you'd like.

BLK_VNM

Established Member
im mabey 5 minutes off 95. in montclair. that would be great if you would. ive been trying to get to know some of you guys and find some new guys to work on cars together with for awhile now.

ill shoot ya a pm with my number

wheelhopper

Established Member
I always stick my jack under the front or back part of the sub frame connectors. I have never had a problem there.

BLK_VNM

Established Member
yea i think it was a sheer amount of luck he just happened to be online and not doing anything at the time. i was really wondering where to jack from seeing as ive never even seen an irs really before today where i was looking at it closely.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I just jack from my jacking rails. Best investment ever.

Oh, then put the stands under the subs.

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Like Doug, I use my subframe connectors. Be careful with the A arms and make sure the jack is solidly planted. For some odd reason, I was using the rear A arms to jack up the Cobra a couple of weeks ago and it slid off the jack pad and bent one of my rear tie rods.......THAT set me back $82......

BLK_VNM

Established Member
thanks guy. corey and i just ended up using the irs subframe tube and then placed the jack stands under the a arms.

lol as for driving to jason's.

1 i dont know many of you guys yet including jasonso i wouldnt feel right inviting my self over.
2 it probably wouldnt be the best idea to drive from md through nazi ticket virginia with only long tube headers and a off road pipe for my exhaust system and my cat back sticking out my trunk.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
BLK_VNM said:
2 it probably wouldnt be the best idea to drive from md through nazi ticket virginia with only long tube headers and a off road pipe for my exhaust system and my cat back sticking out my trunk.
Tell the officer "It just fell off, I'm going to get it put back on right now". :lol1:

BLK_VNM

Established Member
havent heard from the guy yet corey so ill prob put the car back on the ground tomorrow or wed and ill jus get a new cat when i come back from vacation next week. so it wont be this saturday but the next ill prob throw on the new system. if your not busy its definately looking like its a 2 person job on the ground to make it easy. ill have your soda of choice waiting for ya if ya come down this time.

Users who are viewing this thread