Need some help with identifying a T56

96S/Cobra

Established Member
Hopefully someone on here can help me with some info on a T56 transmission.

A friend of mine has a T56 trans that he is willing to sell me at a great price. I am trying to figure out where exactly this trans came from/out of.

Some quick background info: My friend bought this trans approx 10 years ago (give or take a few months) but he never ended up using it, he changed directions with his build. The guy he bought it from said he had a place called Excessive Motorsports build it (but apparently they might not be around anymore) to his specifications for racing in a certain class, but he ended up not being able to use it so he sold it to my friend. So basically this trans has/was built to a "Viper" spec 10 years ago but has never been used/installed.

My friend told me it has the following gear ratios (per the guy who had it built):
1st 2.97
2nd 1.78
3rd 1.30
4th 1.00
5th .74
6th .50

My friend also said he believes the guy he got it from said it was a T56 case from a Camaro, but all of the internals were built to his specificatons. My friend bought this trans with a small block ford bellhousing on it, because the origional owner was planning on running it behind a sbf, as well as my friend who was planning on running it behind his Cleveland in his '69 Mach 1.

Now to the questions:
I have some numbers that were stamped on a steel tag near the tail shaft, but I have not been able to come up with any info on this thing. Is there anyone who can steer me in the right direction on where to go/who to call to see if I can find out any other info on this thing?

When it comes to the T56's, are the trans the same no matter where it came from, as in Viper, Camaro, Cobra, etc? Is it just the bellhousing that denotes what it can be bolted up to? I mean apparently this will bolt up to a sbf no problem, but if I change out the bellhousing to a Quicktime scatter shield, will this then bolt up to my 4.6 without any problems?

If this trans case did indeed come from a Camaro, but now has a sbf bellhousing on it, I thought the chevy's had a hydraulic throw out bearing, but of course my 96 cobra is cable driven. Will that matter? Is a bell housing change all that is necessary? Will the length of the input shaft differ between a Viper, Camaro, Cobra, etc. I mean if this was a Camaro case, but now with "Viper" spec internals, will the pilot bearing, splines for the clutch, etc. all match up, being the same length and all?

Sorry for all the question, it's just that I would like to know exactly what I am getting myself into before/if I buy this thing.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread