need some help w/ exhaust

riot662

Established Member
Just wanted to see what kind of exhaust people have for their 94 - 95 Cobra's. I am looking to get long tubes with an off road "X" pipe and a cat back. I hear good things about Bassani and Borla. I am even thinking about mixing it up with BBK ceramic headers. This is getting confusing for me. Any help would be great.

Last edited:

MatchStick

Master of the drunken pee
Established Member
I had BBK LT's on my 95 with a BBK H-pipe and 2 chamber Flows.

I think the LT's actually made it quieter. Fit and finish were excellent.

riot662

Established Member
Do you know the difference b/t the ST and LT? Am I going to get more HP with one over the other. And if it matters I am planning on that O/R X for sure. Just need some feed back on the tubes.

MatchStick

Master of the drunken pee
Established Member
Originally posted by riot662
Do you know the difference b/t the ST and LT?

Do you mean power wise? I'm not sure actually. I never had it to a dyno. SOTP wise it did feel stronger and revved quicker.

I'm sure someone will chime in that has ran both and can give you a better idea.

red96cobra

Drivin' on a rail
Established Member
Deffintly go with the flows on a 5.0 just for the sound alone. IMO nothing sounds better on a 5.0 mustang then Long tubes, an off road H and a set of 2 chamber flows breathing through 3 inch pipes.

Nick

1HellvaByte

Established Member
Don't go with Bassansi they are known to puke the guts of the cats right out. For a 5.0 I am running a custom made H-pipe and flowmasters on my pure drag 86 LX. FLOWMASTERS+MUSTANGS=A SOUND TO MAKE EVERYONE SMILE!
:D :D

1HellvaByte

EastCoast5.0

Established Member
I would get equel length short tubes, H pipe and either flows or MAC. I personaly LOVE flowmasters, but a buddy of mine has MAC and it screams too.

dtd01svt

Established Member
Dam, I never thought that 14 years later I would still be hearing to go with the Flowmasters. They do sound AWESOME!!!:rockon:
But isnt there anything out there that actually "outperforms" the Flows? Or even sounds better? I honestly can say that I have never heard a 5.0 mustang run anything but the Flowmaster exhaust. Hence the reason I ask if there is anything else that sounds better.:beer:
Good luck in your search.;-)

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
If you want your 5.0 to be loud, then get BBK ceramic long tubes with a Dr. Gas o/r x with powerstick mufflers or dynomax bullets. I have BBK LT's, Dr. Gas o/r x, and the powersticks and my cobra is extremely loud.

riot662

Established Member
With all the great sound I would get with the flows and the LT's do you guys think the power is going be there also? So far it was sounding ike LT's and a H pipe with the flows. But Scream'nCobra
has the exact vehicle as I do so I am not sure.

Do most of you agree that Bassani is just not the way to go? Even though the people with the new stangs swear by them?

Good looking out guys!

EastCoast5.0

Established Member
riot662, I agree with you. I like Bassani in terms of quality but that is about it. Especially on a 5.0, a 302 with opened up exhaust sounds like heaven on wheels. I mean it's up to you what you want your car to sound like, perform like...etc. MM&FF did a quick test of LT and ST headers a while ago and said that on mild through mediocore(sp?) modified cars equal length short tubes worked the best. On higher pperforming cars with power adders or just pushin a lot of Hp/Tq LT's are better. :burnout:

Scream'nCobra

Established Member
I have a 331 now, but if i still had the 302 i would still put BBK ceramics and a dr gas o/r x. The sound is unmatched. The dr gas o/r x is designed for straight-thru mufflers, like the powersticks and bullets.

Regarding the x- or h-pipe, it really depends on which sound you like better. I had an h-pipe on for 10,000 miles and then switched to the x and i liked it more.

Best way to find what you like is mustangexhaust.com. Just be sure to listen to 5.0's.

In my opinion, Borla's make your car sound like its underwater.

CANiHaveGasCash

Established Member
I have bbk s/t (l/t's are illegal in ca) a vrs catted X pipe, and magnaflow catback and its the best sound yet. I have had borla and I didn't like them, then I had a mac crap back..it sounded like a truck and when I took it off the inside was rusted as hell and I had only had it for a year. There was no excuse for the rust because I live in SoCal.

dtd01svt

Established Member
Seeing that your DEFINITELY going with a power adder pretty soon,;-) I think your best bet would be the BBK ceramic L/T's, Dr. Gas O/R X-Pipe, and 2 Chamber Flowmasters. The l/t's are perfect for power adder's, the Dr. Gas x sounds good and the Flows sound AWESOME. Plus its a hell of alot cheaper than the Bassani.:-D Lets go put an exhaust on J we havent worked on ur car in a long time.:rockon:

riot662

Established Member
I think the BBK LT's are the way I am going. I and some kind of cheap X pipe. But I am not convinced I guess on the Flowmasters. I would have thought there would have been better cat back's since they came out?!?! Right? Any last suggests?!?!

riot662

Established Member
I would like to be pretty loud. But I don't want to loose too much HP. I think I am going with the BBK Ceramic LT's with a Dr. Gas X pipe. However, I am not convinced with the cat back. Like dtd01svt said, I would also think that there is something else out there than Flowmaster. Or am I a being unreasonable? Any suggestions on a cat back for someone who wants people to know he is around and flex some mustang muscle?

EastCoast5.0

Established Member
MAC. It has a nice deep tone, not flowmaster but definatly a music to the ears. They are very loud too!

riot662

Established Member
Maybe my question now is, are Flowmasters still real good?!!? If you all recommend them I will give them a shot.

Scream'nCobra

Established Member
If you want everyone to know you are around, get the dynomax bullets. Basically, any straight thru muffler will make it known to everyone that you mean business. If you want something a little more rare (and loud), get thepowersticks. I am the only person i know of on this board and a few other boards that has them. I have Turbo Tubes, but these are exactly like them.

To answer your question, there are TONS of alternatives to Flowmasters.

Users who are viewing this thread