Need some help, time for more powah!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Good plan.
Impressed you already have 4.10s planned. Tires and gears, most important mods.
-J

Silver Talon

Pronounced: Mahcargo Braaaap
Established Member
Your path forward is pretty simple assuming you don't want to go the route of blower upgrades, etc.

- 2.4" upper
- VMP twin 69 TB
- JLT 123mm or PMAS 120mm CAI
- One step colder plugs (NGK TR7IX)
- BAP (if necessary), you'll probably be fine without one on a 13

I'd go with an Ngauge for your tuner. The ability to datalog by simply pressing a button and without hooking a laptop up is a huge plus. If you don't already run gauges then it'll also double as a nice why to monitor some PIDs when you're not logging. All these upgrades plus the long tubes and offroad X are really going to wake the car up.
I'll have gauges here shortly too. But I like the Nguage for monitoring reasons too. I wasnt aware you could log with it too. That might be a closing point for me as I dont have a laptop currently. Obviously I could go pick one up if needed though.

I'm glad you mentioned the vmp 69 too. That's been on my favorites list for a while now.
542c501acbbca021be6ef48dd19a403c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Silver Talon

Established Member
Good plan.
Impressed you already have 4.10s planned. Tires and gears, most important mods.
-J
I've been listening to you preaching about 4.10s for a while now. I've been listening ;-)

I've got some big r888s coming soon for her, so it should hook good pretty soon. I'm sure the 4.10s and extra power will test that theory though.

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
Made 680rwhp/678tq on my '13 thru 4.10 gears but ratio was slightly reduced in my case by taller MT DR's . Being you drive more than most perhaps the Nittos might be a good option out back. But DR's are a must if you're gonna play. The 680 set up was ARH long tubes, H-Pipe with hi-flo cats, Twin Blade TB, O-Sized Port Matched BPS Plenum, Metco Tensioner for the most belt wrap around a 2.4 upper...stock lower crank pulley. CatBack are Corsa Sports.
I later followed Jon Lund's advice with the Power By Hour package. That's the KB 168 Mono Blade, XBA O-Sized Plenum, 148 JLT. Dyno gains were +36hp, no tq change at 716hp/679tq thru the same 4.10's. Peak TQ did raise to 4700rpm which I appreciated. The PBH + Lund 93 Octane Race Tune did cost around $1600 but I sold my old set up to offset half that upgrade cost. Driveability with the KB Monoblade/PBH Package has been exceptional. It idles 900rpm,..steady as a my old twin blade, no off idle stumbles, zero surging anywhere, cruises rock steady at 2000rpm/75-80mph on highway, very strong flat linear pulls everywhere on WOT stabs from 2000 in 2nd gear to 3rd gear 4500 rpm stabs. Unlike many of the guys I was not keen on the louder than my twin blade deccel popping with the KB Mono. Jon Jr. put some "Hang Timing" in the tune which eliminated all decell popping.
ps: LOVE that you are considering 4.10's ...and taller DR's will drop that to a perfect 3.90 gear. If done right no whine with 4.10's.

Last edited:

RBB

Established Member
I'll have gauges here shortly too. But I like the Nguage for monitoring reasons too. I wasnt aware you could log with it too. That might be a closing point for me as I dont have a laptop currently. Obviously I could go pick one up if needed though.

I'm glad you mentioned the vmp 69 too. That's been on my favorites list for a while now. View attachment 1580171

I'm still using an old SCT X3, but if it ever craps out on me I'll be switching to an Ngauge…..it's so much nicer to datalog with.

After going through throttle body hell the last couple months with all the big monoblades failsafing on me, I'm running a twin 69 right now. Doing some preliminary logs and it's been solid so far.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
After going through throttle body hell the last couple months with all the big monoblades failsafing on me, I'm running a twin 69 right now. Doing some preliminary logs and it's been solid so far.
Let us know how the 69mm works out.

stanger1

Established Member
I'll put my vote of confidence in for BJ also as over the winter and early spring, I got the VMP 67mm TB and just the JLT intake tube and had BJ do my tune.
He spent the extra time to dial this in. Just simple mods, but only having 91 Octane, I did not want to risk the 2.4 pulley, as again, only 91 Octane.
Doing Data Logs did prove the 91 Octane was an issue, so corrections were made and car is running great.
I did get a case of Boostane to run and what BJ did was to allow timing to advance if knock sensors were happy, so a win win.
Safe and feels just like stock, except when the peddle is pushed down, then it comes alive.
Very happy with results.
PS, I was able to buy a used laptop from a local Computer store for about $250.00 and this worked great for Data Logging.
And for the Boostane, I only add about 5 oz for a 16 Gallon tank, which according to Boostane , will take 91 to about 95 Octane. Perfect..

Last edited:

Silver Talon

Established Member
Made 680rwhp/678tq on my '13 thru 4.10 gears but ratio was slightly reduced in my case by taller MT DR's . Being you drive more than most perhaps the Nittos might be a good option out back. But DR's are a must if you're gonna play. The 680 set up was ARH long tubes, H-Pipe with hi-flo cats, Twin Blade TB, O-Sized Port Matched BPS Plenum, Metco Tensioner for the most belt wrap around a 2.4 upper...stock lower crank pulley. CatBack are Corsa Sports.
I later followed Jon Lund's advice with the Power By Hour package. That's the KB 168 Mono Blade, XBA O-Sized Plenum, 148 JLT. Dyno gains were +36hp, no tq change at 716hp/679tq thru the same 4.10's. Peak TQ did raise to 4700rpm which I appreciated. The PBH + Lund 93 Octane Race Tune did cost around $1600 but I sold my old set up to offset half that upgrade cost. Driveability with the KB Monoblade/PBH Package has been exceptional. It idles 900rpm,..steady as a my old twin blade, no off idle stumbles, zero surging anywhere, cruises rock steady at 2000rpm/75-80mph on highway, very strong flat linear pulls everywhere on WOT stabs from 2000 in 2nd gear to 3rd gear 4500 rpm stabs. Unlike many of the guys I was not keen on the louder than my twin blade deccel popping with the KB Mono. Jon Jr. put some "Hang Timing" in the tune which eliminated all decell popping.
ps: LOVE that you are considering 4.10's ...and taller DR's will drop that to a perfect 3.90 gear. If done right no whine with 4.10's.

Did Lund sell you all the pbh stuff? And I've heard several guys talk about the kb mono. Is that the 168 mono? Metco tensioner have the better option for the smaller pulleys? I have one on smokie, but that hasn't run yet.

Sounds like it runs well. I'd guess youd second a vote to have Lund tune the car too?

RBB

Established Member
Let us know how the 69mm works out.
I don't expect to have any issues with it at this point. Idle and cruise logs looked good, got the go ahead to get into boost on my next ones. I had about 3/4 tank of gas that's several months old, though, so I need to burn that off first. Put about 100 miles on the car this weekend doing that....no failsafes, surging, etc, so I think we can call it a winner mechanically. Drivability is good.

RBB

Established Member
Did Lund sell you all the pbh stuff? And I've heard several guys talk about the kb mono. Is that the 168 mono? Metco tensioner have the better option for the smaller pulleys? I have one on smokie, but that hasn't run yet.

Sounds like it runs well. I'd guess youd second a vote to have Lund tune the car too?

Lund doesn't directly sell those products. You'll need to go through PBH directly. Yes, the 168 is referring to KB's offering. The big monoblades seem to be very hit or miss. VMP's 160 has turned out to be a total bust, the KB 168 isn't totally reliable, and Lund himself told me all of them other than the Whipple 170 have been so inconsistent lately that he wouldn't recommend any of them for street duty.

Silver Talon

Established Member
Lund doesn't directly sell those products. You'll need to go through PBH directly. Yes, the 168 is referring to KB's offering. The big monoblades seem to be very hit or miss. VMP's 160 has turned out to be a total bust, the KB 168 isn't totally reliable, and Lund himself told me all of them other than the Whipple 170 have been so inconsistent lately that he wouldn't recommend any of them for street duty.
Awesome! Good to know!

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My Lund tuned Kenne Bell 168 mono is smooth as silk.

96gt02

Established Member
anyone done any testing on the same setup with a 67mm vs the 69mm? any gains?

RBB

Established Member
anyone done any testing on the same setup with a 67mm vs the 69mm? any gains?
It's so new....I haven't seen any dyno results. I'll have mine on a dyno pretty soon, but I've also upgraded from a Trinity TVS to a Gen3, so it's not apples to apples. I'd have to think the gains would be pretty small.

Search around and see if you can find dyno results from guys running a twin 65 vs a twin 67. They've both been around forever, I'm sure some data is out there on the same setups. The jump from a 67 to a 69 would probably be very comparable.

The gains going from a stock twin 60 to a twin 67 are 30-40HP....40 is high boost situations. So you're not going to pick up too much with a TB swap alone if you already have a 67. If you're stock and buying new then I think the 69 is the obvious choice.

Last edited:

Cman01

hello
Established Member
OE Poster, I have basically everything you are looking to install on your 500 sitting in my closet (except headers) that hopefully I can install this coming fall/winter for next summer.

My engine right now is basically stock (with resonator delete and Lund tune), waiting to go on is 10% ATI, FR monoblade TB, BPS ported elbow, PMAS, ARS tensioner, Metco idler, colder plugs, longer SC belt.

I already have installed Lethal ORX, Lethal mandrel bend OTA pipes, Corsa quad exhaust). I'm basically following AM's Power Packs for 13-14 GT500.

Here's part 3 (you can find parts 1 & 2 fairly easily), should be easy 700+ to the wheels once all of it is done.

Tony

96gt02

Established Member
It's so new....I haven't seen any dyno results. I'll have mine on a dyno pretty soon, but I've also upgraded from a Trinity TVS to a Gen3, so it's not apples to apples. I'd have to think the gains would be pretty small.

Search around and see if you can find dyno results from guys running a twin 65 vs a twin 67. They've both been around forever, I'm sure some data is out there on the same setups. The jump from a 67 to a 69 would probably be very comparable.

The gains going from a stock twin 60 to a twin 67 are 30-40HP....40 is high boost situations. So you're not going to pick up too much with a TB swap alone if you already have a 67. If you're stock and buying new then I think the 69 is the obvious choice.
Yeah I believe the 65 vs 67 showed 5-10 HP depending on power level, just wonder if its the same or less between the 67 to 69

Silver Talon

Established Member
Well the exhaust made it in the other day. Need to make a game plan for putting this on. Will I need a tune to install these for safety reasons? Or will the factory pcm have enough headroom to adjust for the extra flow? I realize the engine light will be on for the cats.

I also emailed VMP, asking for some recommendations. The guy that answered basically didnt read my email before sending me a response with a bunch of links to products they want to sell. I asked about a pmas intake, he went right to the jlt. I asked about the twin 69, and that got ignored and went right to the 67. More or less I got a link to their power pack lvl 4 and he threw in a link to brisk plugs and a BPS elbow.

A little frustrated to get a half assed response when you're looking to spend a couple grand somewhere.
365dceaa8803056dc57c9871b4ff74c1.jpg

VMP Performance

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Well the exhaust made it in the other day. Need to make a game plan for putting this on. Will I need a tune to install these for safety reasons? Or will the factory pcm have enough headroom to adjust for the extra flow? I realize the engine light will be on for the cats.

I also emailed VMP, asking for some recommendations. The guy that answered basically didnt read my email before sending me a response with a bunch of links to products they want to sell. I asked about a pmas intake, he went right to the jlt. I asked about the twin 69, and that got ignored and went right to the 67. More or less I got a link to their power pack lvl 4 and he threw in a link to brisk plugs and a BPS elbow.

A little frustrated to get a half assed response when you're looking to spend a couple grand somewhere. View attachment 1582263

Hate to hear this, man

Would love an opportunity to earn your business back.

Users who are viewing this thread