Need some help on how to reseal my differential

04TorchedSVT

Established Member
So my diff is leaking pretty good. It has the billetflow brace but still leaks it started just as a small leak but now is leaking on the pipes. I really don't know why this thing is leaking cause I don't beat on the car, I do some sprinted driving from time to time but no burnouts or launches. What is the best way to get the cover off and reseal this thing so I can drive it more.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
the cover will be a pain to get off but when you do get it off clean the surface well and seal with some permatex gray and wait at least overnight before you fill the diff back up with fluid.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Search is your friend, plenty of info on this in the appropriate section as well in Terminator Talk

Canuck03SVT

Established Member
What's the best way to take the cover off? Should I drop tge IRS down or can I do it with the IRS in the car?

Do it with the IRS in the car, but remove the diff. from the IRS. Don't try to remove the cover while the diff. is still in.

I followed the steps from this link here pumpkin, only I didn't remove the hub, I left it attached and marked the the eccentric cam bolt with a marker and removed the caliper and rotor instead. You can leave the brake bracket on if you want because the rotor will slide out with it in place.

While I was at it I ordered a set of Bruce's front and rear diff bushings. They're the reason the diff starts leaking in the first place. I also ordered a set of front sub frame bolts.

When you reseal use the grey rtv sealant that's for diesel engines( buy it right from ford.) that way you can fill the diff right away, but wait 1 hour if you wish. Also, get a flexible clear hose to refill the diff.(Feed it from the passenger side wheel into the diff.) Or you can fill it up before you put the cover on, just be sure not to tip the diff side ways. Kinda tricky but it works.

Make sure the diff fluid is warm so it flows easier and be sure to add some friction modifier.

This website should help you as well: FTBR IRS Installation Photo's and Tips

Follow the torque specs at the bottom and watch some of the vids for some helpful pointers.

Hope this helps.

Mike

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
mines out right now for this I'd use a gasket Felpro Differential Cover Gasket
Differential Cover Gasket
Loading zoom
Hover over the image to zoom in
[Email a Friend]
[PRINT]
Felpro Differential Cover Gasket