Need some help here guys...Possible Driveshaft issue

LeadFoot_Cobra

Established Member
Hey guys, I had a quick favor to ask for any fellow '03-04 owners.

I was wondering if anybody could help me on letting me swap their driveshaft on the spot for a quick confirmation. I'm getting a noticeable vibe right at 80mph, gets worse as speed increases and I'm pounding my head against a wall trying to get this vibe to go away.

1. I've already replaced everything in the rear end after finding out the Pinion seal leaked out all the fluid and fried everything. Everything was spec'd properly with correct tolerances and loads.

2. When Billy did the Transmission from the last time, he said everything was spot on. Nothing was abnormally worn, nor was the main shaft scored or out of balance in any way.

3. Took my driveshaft out and had it balanced. They said that it was 1/16 of an ounce off balance and said there was nothing they could do for that small amount. The guy did show me though that my U-Joint caps were spinning on the driveshaft ear on both front and rear though. I know that spinning caps indicate worn needle bearing, but they rotate freely with no bind up, and they have no play at all...

I've checked the rear hub bearings, and they are fine. Balanced all 4 wheels AND had them road forced... checked out fine, rebalanced and mounted them back on. Front hub bearings are fine... no play in them and they spin freely.

So I was just wondering, before I dump $315 on a new OEM shaft, if someone could help me out. I've already searched and after gathering info, it's teetering towards a new driveshaft... I know a TSB was out for the earlier cobra's, and mine seems to fit that criteria. I just want to make sure though before i plunge more money into the drive train...

Any help would be appreciated, and thanks for taking the time to read my rant. :rockon:

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
I recently put in a new 1-piece shaft and picked up a bad vibration at 80 even after the tires were balanced. Billy had me swap the back tires and it went away.

LeadFoot_Cobra

Established Member
Problem is I already tried that as well...no matter what I did, it is happening dead at 80 and gets worse if I increase speed. Starts shaking the trans, then the body if I do some romping on it.

Only things i haven't replaced are the rear wheel bearings, rear hubs, and then last but not least, the Drive shaft. I may contact Billy once he gets back from Vacation to see if he has a spare one in good condition i could snag temporarily to bolt on and give a quick go around a stretch of road. If not then I may just have to bite the bullet and see if a new one can give me the answer.

Users who are viewing this thread