Need some help...fuel system woes in '93 GT

cobra2701

Slooobra
Established Member
Alright mustang gurus....I need some help help with my dads 1993 5.0 GT.

Lets start with the back story....dad gets his 2012 MCA edition. The fox got a little jealous and one of the fairly recently replaced headlights started to get condensation in it. Whatever, no big deal.

Time for new tires, and stripped lug nut stud. That's cool, right?

Next, the drivers side lock actuator went out. Awesome, right?

So we get that replaced, and now the old girl won't start. New battery to fix it? Nope. Didn't fix it. It actually needed a new starter. So we get that replaced, and it finally starts. But not for long!

While I'm letting it idle for a little while, it starts stumbling and backfiring. CEL was on, but it was VERY faint. Pump didn't want to run at all. The next day, the pump didn't do anything, and still no start unless I shot some starting fluid into the TB. I checked the original relay, and it didn't pass the resistance test (fuse was fine in the car though). So I pop another relay in, and the pump now either wants to run continuously or prime as it should. Still took a few tries or some fluid to start it. CEL still on, but very faint as it was before. Ran for about 3 minutes before fumbling over itself and stalling again. Turn the key right after, and it would start back up for another few minutes before stalling again.

I bypassed the inertia shutoff switch today, and that seemed to help a little, but not for long. Same issues started up again. Try and start it for a 3rd time, and nothing.

I went back out after about an hour, and she started back up. But not on the first try. Stalled out, and I got her to start right back up. Stalled out again, and that was it.

So my question is WTF is up with this car? I'm getting to the end of my patience with it, and I'm getting tired of hearing dad threaten to sell it (I'm not allowing it to go to a new home...). Please help me out here guys.

I should also say that when we were diagnosing the starter, the pump would want to run continuously with the key in run, instead of priming as it should have. Gonna get a code reader here soon to see what it has to say, but in the mean time, help from you guys would be much appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread