Need some good advice regarding motor...

Established Member
O.k. so here's the deal. I left a thread awhile ago regarding piston slap. After listening to my car tick it doesn't sound like that's what the problem is. The ticking is loud as $hit in the morning during warm up and after it gets barely audible but it's still there. The tick I have in the morning sounds like the infamous "head tick" in the 2003 Cobra's. I have a 2004 Cobra with 20,000 miles on it. I've pulled my plugs and there are no signs of oil and the plugs look great. And the car still runs like a raped ape. But if in fact it is my piston that's damaged what's the best way of approaching this matter? My warrenty is already *ucked. I don't make a lot of money so what would be the cheapest yet most reliable way of fixing this problem? Can I just have the motor pulled and replace the pistons? How much money am I looking at? If there's damage to the cylinder walls do I have to buy a whole new motor? Should I take it to Ford and see what the problem is? Sorry for all the questions, any help is appreciated and all the guys here at SVT seems to know what they're talking about. So thanks in advance.

JSHTROD

Established Member
7168548 said:
O.k. so here's the deal. I left a thread awhile ago regarding piston slap. After listening to my car tick it doesn't sound like that's what the problem is. The ticking is loud as $hit in the morning during warm up and after it gets barely audible but it's still there. The tick I have in the morning sounds like the infamous "head tick" in the 2003 Cobra's. I have a 2004 Cobra with 20,000 miles on it. I've pulled my plugs and there are no signs of oil and the plugs look great. And the car still runs like a raped ape. But if in fact it is my piston that's damaged what's the best way of approaching this matter? My warrenty is already *ucked. I don't make a lot of money so what would be the cheapest yet most reliable way of fixing this problem? Can I just have the motor pulled and replace the pistons? How much money am I looking at? If there's damage to the cylinder walls do I have to buy a whole new motor? Should I take it to Ford and see what the problem is? Sorry for all the questions, any help is appreciated and all the guys here at SVT seems to know what they're talking about. So thanks in advance.

Two questions:

1) Have you ever eaten a belt? Have one snap on you while driving the car?

2) Is the ticking noise coming from the front of the motor?

Established Member
I've had a shredded belt before yes. But since I've changed my upper pulley no more belt shredding. And the ticking is coming from the passenger side front.

JSHTROD

Established Member
7168548 said:
I've had a shredded belt before yes. But since I've changed my upper pulley no more belt shredding. And the ticking is coming from the passenger side front.

I have a similar problem. Loud when cold, soft when warm. Sounds like it's from the front/and/or pass front head.

Start your car, let it idle, and look under the hood. Does your lower crank pulley wobble?

Mine does. It'll be replaced soon (this weekend) and should stop the noise.

When I grenaded my last belt, little pices of the belt got weged up around the lower pulley and cage. I can only guess it's eaten away the bearings.

Remove lower pulley/cage, replace. Fixed.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread