Need some fresh paint help..

TourEnvy

Around
Established Member
Well i dont post much at all on here, however this is a general automotive question that you guys might be able to help me with.

I got a new trunk lid back from paint, and they said that they didnt color sand it, no big, its a 2 part paint job so I have had good experience in the past and I figured I would do it.

It had a pretty level finish on it so I want right for the 2000 grt w/ block. then compound my hand with foam pad, glaze w/ foam and then wax w/ foam.

Problem is the shine is that brought out and I can still see "working lines" across the surface. What should I do? Will it be safe to bring down carefully again with paper? I think that the "lines" (numerous scratches in the same direction like from fingers) were put in from sanding. Also what do you think about hand application? should I be working with a terry pad for more grit?

Help me save my new paint!

Scott P

Established Member
Compounding and polishing wetsanding marks is not a job for hand application. You really should use a machine to do that type of correction.

oldmodman

Established Member
After the job of carefully block wet sanding the next step should have been a rotary with wool pad and compound. Followed by a DA with something like Meguiar's 83.

Using your hand to apply and polish compound will almost always cause areas of more and less cut. Unless a rotary is used it will be very difficult to level out these areas. You may want to take it to someone experienced in rotary use.

TourEnvy

Around
Established Member
Thanks guys. I was also using Turtle wax compound that I just read is "rocks in a box". I also have no experience with a rotary or DA, Im afraid to burn through. It sucks because I have had good luck with it in the past, probably because they were smaller parts.

Users who are viewing this thread