Need some (drag racing) advice

SomeSoldier

I wanna go fast.
Established Member
I am heading out to a 1/8 mile track tonight. I plan on taking it easy tonight since its my first time racing at a drag track, pervious experience is auto-x. The IRS is stock except an IRS brace. I am running Nitto NT555ZR 315/35/17 tires. What TP should I be at when I run? Also I am thinking about leaving the line, like I would leave a light hard, to start. If I do try and launch I think it would be between 1500-2500 rpms. Any advice would be helpful, thank you in advance.

Last edited:

zeusha

Established Member
Im new to my Termi too (1 month) Raced it about 6times and my PPRV killed my whole night man. I dont have much good advice but to make sure your spot on with your shifts, I found my best launches were at 2400rpm (trust me, I launced at 2k, 3k, 3500 and this was best RPM) Other than that im SOO used to my GM cars, but if you find anything out please let me know. GOOD LUCK

SomeSoldier

I wanna go fast.
Established Member
Zeush what part of Buffalo are you from?? I am org from there and I will be home back in a couple of months. Were you dumping the clutch of slippping it? Ill let you know what happens thanks for the help. Also I would not call it a Termi, most Terminator ownes do not like it when people call them that.

Last edited:

SomeSoldier

I wanna go fast.
Established Member
So I went to the track last night. I ran 34 PSI in my tires. The car did fairly well but I think she needs a new belt. I kept feeling something slip at high boost past 4600rpms.
Best time of the night was:
60' - 2.25
330' - 5.99
ET - 8.52
1/8 ET - 9.1
MPH - 76.91

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
You ran at Ohio Valley I'm sure of. Those times are kind of on the slow side but the weather last night was terrible so that's part of it. Check that belt and if it's really easy to install it's probably way to loose.

I'm about 45 minutes from the Valley.

SomeSoldier

I wanna go fast.
Established Member
Yes I was at Ohio Valley. Yea it seemed slow to me but I really think its because of the belt. Plus on that last run I missed a gear. I should have had an 8.8. But I don't think I did to bad since it was my first time running at a track.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Yes I was at Ohio Valley. Yea it seemed slow to me but I really think its because of the belt. Plus on that last run I missed a gear. I should have had an 8.8. But I don't think I did to bad since it was my first time running at a track.

If you're happy then that's all that matters. Plus you didn't break anything at all so that's good too.

Get a belt on it and wait for some good cool weather and those times will drop like a rock.:beer:

zeusha

Established Member
Zeush what part of Buffalo are you from?? I am org from there and I will be home back in a couple of months. Were you dumping the clutch of slippping it? Ill let you know what happens thanks for the help. Also I would not call it a Termi, most Terminator ownes do not like it when people call them that.

I wish I got this post from you before I just got into a "Termi" arguement with someone else earlier lol. I live in Kenmore, still race out at lancaster or Motorcity outside rochester. I been slipping it in, car has AMAZING torque! and the wheel hop still plays its part with me so is hard to dump it. Where did you move to?

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Lowering your tire pressure down to around 20-22 psi will greatly improve that 60'

SomeSoldier

I wanna go fast.
Established Member
I wish I got this post from you before I just got into a "Termi" arguement with someone else earlier lol. I live in Kenmore, still race out at lancaster or Motorcity outside rochester. I been slipping it in, car has AMAZING torque! and the wheel hop still plays its part with me so is hard to dump it. Where did you move to?

All over, Army tells me where to live but I'm moving back soon.

zeusha

Established Member
All over, Army tells me where to live but I'm moving back soon.

Sweet, not much has changed at the tracks around here. Except Brian Pryor isnt the fastest at Lancaster for the Modifed Class anymore. But John and the P&J boys still running hard. My camaro is definately more competitive there now blasting a 7.22 before grenading my rear end. Mike Furmusa still OWNS the quarter mile track outside rochester in that procharged 2010 camaro thing runs 10's in nearly stock form! There is a kenne bell 2011 Coyote stang almost doing the same time.

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
14 psi in 315 35 17 m/t drag radials, 3000 rpm slip the cluch a little, last run tonight was a 1.90 60 ft, 8.4x @ 82mph and let off early to take home King of the hill!! Car had a 1.90 60 ft 8.19 @ 85 mph earlier in the night leaving the same way. Takes some time, just keep practicing. seat time seat time seat time is the key.

zeusha

Established Member
14 psi in 315 35 17 m/t drag radials, 3000 rpm slip the cluch a little, last run tonight was a 1.90 60 ft, 8.4x @ 82mph and let off early to take home King of the hill!! Car had a 1.90 60 ft 8.19 @ 85 mph earlier in the night leaving the same way. Takes some time, just keep practicing. seat time seat time seat time is the key.

:rockon: good to know

SomeSoldier

I wanna go fast.
Established Member

Nice time. I'll have to try and drop my TP and see if it improves.

10sec89

Established Member

You should check out MOMS Racing (momsracing.com). Great group of Mustangs racing at Empire every month, I ran with them for 7 years before moving to Floida.

zeusha

Established Member
You should check out MOMS Racing (momsracing.com). Great group of Mustangs racing at Empire every month, I ran with them for 7 years before moving to Floida.

Yeah, thats the Rochester track I was talking about. Couldnt think of the name involved was sure it was leicester or something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread