need some answers?

TorchRedCobra04

8 Pistons > 4 Pistons
Established Member
alrite, let me sum up what is happening with my car right now.
Well its a 87 Foxbody 5.0 LX, it runs and drives like new and i like it very much. I have been told the 3 main common problems with the 302 motor are, intake gaskets leaking, rear main seal leaking, and oil pan/oil pan gasket leaking. Well lets see now... well i noticed it was leaking oil where i park in my residence and decided to get it fixed. My mechanic said it had a leaky rear main, so i said yeah ok replace it, got it done. Bring it home, and now its leaking even worse... so okay i bring it back in, now the mechanic tells me that the oil pan is rusted a bit and i did look under the car and it did have MINOR rust spots and it was leaking at the pan. So yeah i get a new pan put on there. Okay, now i bring it a few blocks down the road, making sure to rip it a bit to see if any oil is forced out the motor. Okay well, IT IS STILL LEAKING, instead of me stopping the car and freaking out i bring it back to my mechanic, and now the intake gasket is leaking, and i mean leaking pretty damn bad. UGH... okay now i am facing about a thousand bux worth of repair (CANADIAN DOLLARS) altogether. Whatever i am just going to ****ing bite the bullet and get this shit done and over with since summer is coming. Alright now my question is... i know an oil system in a motor is under pressure when the pump is cycling oil all over inside the motor (WELL NO SHIT...) So, the first most common spot leaking was the rear main seal, fine it was sealed up and done with, so does all the pressure goto the next closest spot and eventually have oil leak out of there since it's not sealed? because after the rear main was sealed, then the oil pan was leaking, now that both of those are sealed the intake gasket is leaking...so after i pick the car up tomorrow with a new intake gasket set put on it, should it solve the problem???
need honest answers here even if you sound like a typical mechanic and make it seem like my car is going to self destruct or something since it has "SOMETHING" other then a flat tire wrong with it.

PS... ALL THREE OF THESE AREAS (REAR MAIN, OIL PAN, INTAKE GASKET) were leaking before i bought it in, so it is not like my mechanic just started pointing fingers in different directions to get money out of me.

... :( and if there is any more repair, i am going to sell this car and go back to the previous owner and sue him if he doesnt return my money... **** sucker told me this car was "complete"...

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
IF IT WAS LEAKING WORSE THAN BEFORE, THATS ON THE MECHANIC THAT FIXED IT.

He should have cut you some sort of break after all the repairs. Remember the car is an older car so repairs will be neded reguardless what the old owner said

You will not be able to sue the old owner, due to it be that old and used, unless you have it in writing that the car was perfect and he gave you some type of warranty with the car.

The PCV system might be plugged, thats how the engine gets rid of excessive blow by in the motor, so the lower end dont build up so much pressure.

Wow thats the most I think I ever typed in one post ever!

TorchRedCobra04

8 Pistons > 4 Pistons
Established Member
well u see the thing is that the mechanic power washed the underchassis spotless because before there was a HECK LOT of build up of oil and road grime mixed together from the leak. So i am assuming now that it is cleaner its much easier for the fresh oil to make its way down to the ground in a couple of drips, the leak by the way is much better now, the intake gasket is hopefully the culprit. And i am going to check the pcv vavle tomorow, i did not think of that. I can't get rid of this car, even though it bit my pocket pretty bad the past few days, its just such a damn nice car, drives so good and is in great shape. Ill post how the mechanic trip goes tomorrow. thanks.

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
TorchRedCobra04 said:
well u see the thing is that the mechanic power washed the underchassis spotless because before there was a HECK LOT of build up of oil and road grime mixed together from the leak. So i am assuming now that it is cleaner its much easier for the fresh oil to make its way down to the ground in a couple of drips, the leak by the way is much better now, the intake gasket is hopefully the culprit.

You'd be suprised how a good coat of grime will hide leaks!

Batman

TorchRedCobra04

8 Pistons > 4 Pistons
Established Member
went to the mechanic today, it aint f'ing done so i have to go see it tomorrow, so another f'ing day of anxiousness to see the end result...

Rufus

Established Member
The Crankcase Emissions Air Filter needs changing too

TorchRed - In addition to the PCV valve, there is a "crankcase emissions air filter" (FA-1068 - a knitted wire mesh filter) that's located in a recess under the PCV valve. The Ford recommended change interval is 30,000 miles (twice as often as the PCV valve is to be replaced). I bet few are changed that often. On the Cobra it's a real pain to get to because of the GT40 manifold. A special tool can be made by welding / brazing a sheet metal or decking screw onto the end of a long rod / bolt to make it easier to reach.

You might replace this too on your car to insure the PCV system is not restricted.

Best Regards, :)
Bob S.

Last edited:

TorchRedCobra04

8 Pistons > 4 Pistons
Established Member
alrite, well got the car back, one of the mechanics at the shop tried to tell me it was a tranny gasket. So i told them, just go ahead and change the intake gaskets since i know FOR SURE they were leaking (and i was relying on my "if it seal it here, it will go to the next spot and keep leaking") and then yea they change the intake gasket, STILL leaking... so they tell me its the tranny. Now by this point i am a little pissed and also confused, before they drop the tranny, they check this gasket on the back of the intake THEY put on new, and yea it was leaking from there... Thankfully my mechanic is truthful, or so i think. And they also checked the pcv before the intake gaskets were replaced, the screen underneath was a little dirty if not clogged, so yeah it wasn't doing its job completely. But yeah i took the car for a rip after, it seems well, no leaks... and it drives well :D Oh yeah, i also got a new rad since it still had its rad which it came with of the floor back in 87, GOOD IDEA FOR THE SUMMER.

oh yeah u guys were helpful, thanks :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread