Need some advise. Hurt #8 cyl...

CuZzO99L

BLACK SUNSHINE
Established Member
Any opinions appreciated! So just when I finally return my car back to near stock driveability :)bowdown:) I discover oil on my number 8 plug which led to the (pic below) and a compression test which realed mid to low 180s across the board and only about 155psi on my #8. Ive put about 5 miles on the car since discovering this and there is no visual smoke or haze under normal driving. I did row through 2nd and 3rd under boost (TVS 14#s) and could hear popping and the smell of burnt oil in my exhaust when I pulled back into the garage. Im running the MMR recommended 10w30. Motor is a MMR 1000, roughly 200 miles on motor. Improper fuel was the culprit here though. My question is, Can I switch to a little thicker oil so I can at least drive the car to the gym once or twice a week without creating further damage until Im ready to pull motor? Or should I just put the cover over it until Im ready to dive back in....again.

#8 156psi.jpg

Joewee500

Established Member
Improper fuel meaning...you ran 93 oct with a race gas tune or ran 91 on a 93 tune? 200 miles on a fresh motor....I'd be in tears. Good luck with it.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm guessing the damage is done. If it's an iron block I'd probalby drive it until you're ready to pull it, depending on how much blow by it's producing and how bad it's smoking. If it's an aluminum block, I'd park it.

CuZzO99L

BLACK SUNSHINE
Established Member
TT setup in sig. 80lbers I think it just leaned out up top... Maybe the ring broke right there, hard to tell in pic. Doesnt take long on 20+psi to much timing an not enough fuel...

builttodrive

Established Member
TT setup in sig. 80lbers I think it just leaned out up top... Maybe the ring broke right there, hard to tell in pic. Doesnt take long on 20+psi to much timing an not enough fuel...

I have lost two motors both burnt cylinders 7 and 8. Just seeing what caused yours. My pistons looked similar but quite a bit worse. Hopefully I'm done with that on my new motor!

CuZzO99L

BLACK SUNSHINE
Established Member
Guess Ill have a better Idea when I pull the motor... Car may have had some issues with oil getting into intake thus reducing the octane as well, the TT kit was a nightmare start to finish and It looks like this is the last mark it will finally leave on me.. I did notice some very very tiny pin holes deadcenter on a few of the other pistons as well...If only I had kept it simple like my lighting Id still love this car..

builttodrive

Established Member
Guess Ill have a better Idea when I pull the motor... Car may have had some issues with oil getting into intake thus reducing the octane as well, the TT kit was a nightmare start to finish and It looks like this is the last mark it will finally leave on me.. I did notice some very very tiny pin holes deadcenter on a few of the other pistons as well...If only I had kept it simple like my lighting Id still love this car..

I hear ya! My set up should have been a non issue but maybe I was at the limit of the stock fuel system and sub par 91 pump gas with a combo of oil in the intake. Hoping to eliminate that with a bigger fuel system, E85, and deleting the PCV system. Praying it works!

08KR525

Established Member
If you don't have to drive it I wouldn't. No sense in possibly doing more damage since something is obviously wrong.

coposrv

Established Member
I wouldn't drive it. Put the cover on and start planning on a tear down. Sucks to hear with only 200 miles on the build.

Users who are viewing this thread