Need some advice

ProbieG

Future Hose Jockey
Established Member
Need some advice(Texas people in here)

I have a 98 cobra and I don't know if I should keep it or sell it. It's a high mileage car. Odo stopped at 170k (autocheck said it was at 160 in 09) it leaks from the front cover and it is throwing these codes.

P0340 P0412 P1401 P1409

I just don't know what to do. I can either keep it. Or sell it for no loss and move on to something else.

Last edited:

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
P0340 is camshaft position sensor
P0412 is secondary air injection (air pump)
P1401 is DPFE. That is the gray sensor behind the EGR valve with a connector and two soft hoses
1409 is some sort of emissions control

ProbieG

Future Hose Jockey
Established Member
Gonna try to fix it. Gonna knock out the leak and cam sensor at the same time. Also gonna put the egr back on. Anything else I should be doing?

ProbieG

Future Hose Jockey
Established Member
So forged pistons and rods? I've never understood what exactly went into a "built" motor. I wanna say 98 has a forged crank already correct?

97RioRedSnake

SVT
Established Member
Generally, I assume a built motor means beefed up rods/pistons at the very least but the term is sort of open to interpretation.

Our crankshafts are forged and will take a dump truck load of power.

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
So forged pistons and rods? I've never understood what exactly went into a "built" motor. I wanna say 98 has a forged crank already correct?

depending on your goals of course...a basic "build" would be pistons, rods, rings, bearings, arp hardware, gaskets, etc

your block, crank, cams, and heads are ok but swapping to a different set of heads would be benifical

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
If you try to sell it you're likely to get a low-ball price on the car because of the issues it has, so if it were me I would fix it regardless of whether I intended to keep it or sell it. Sounds like a couple of sensors and a front cover gasket... only like an afternoons worth of work honestly.

ProbieG

Future Hose Jockey
Established Member
I've decided that I want to keep the car essentially forever. It will eventually either get rebuilt and "built" or I'll buy a new short block with forged parts. It'll get boost down the road. I'm wanting 500,600 HP. Something I can drive almost daily but still be fast.

ProbieG

Future Hose Jockey
Established Member
I found a MK VIII motor with 160k. I just don't know how to do the swap. Anyone in Texas willing to help?

Last edited:

SVT CAMR

Established Member
I bet the leak on the cover has soaked the Cam position sensor connection with oil. Sounds like you could fix it easily.

If the cars paint and interior are in good shape I would keep it. if it is shot fix the small problems and sell it. Of course save a couple extra grand and get a clean low milage one to replace it with.

Users who are viewing this thread