need some advice

Riskeman

Established Member
I'll try to keep this short.

I took my car to a mechanic that does work on the side at his house to get gears done three weeks ago. He hurt himself while working on my car, but is now back at work. The problem is my car is still sitting in his garage with the rearend out of it while he is working on everything else. The worst part is he has not called me back in 3 days and won't answer my calls.

What should I do? Obviously the best thing would be for him to finish the car, but my paitence has run out. I can't drive the car away unfinished because the rearend is out. I'm not sure that I could finish putting it back together at his house to be able to drive it away. Can the car be towed without a rearend in it?

Riskeman

Established Member
I've driven by twice today and he's not in. He promised on Wednesday that it would be done by Friday.

I've been nothing but an easy to deal with customer for the entire time. Even offered to help anyway I could. I would be fine with it taking a little longer if he would call and let me know what is going on. It just pisses me off that he is dodging my calls.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Park in his driveway and wait for him to come home. Ask if he wants to finish it or pay to have it floated to a shop to finish the work.

FutureCobraGuy

Established Member
Just hang tight. If he is good and treats you right every other time, then maybe cut him some slack. He's probably overloaded with alot of stuff right now...however, that does not give him the right to avoid you. A face to face is needed but maybe try to give him alittle more time if you can stomach it. :shrug:

Niks97cobra

Ready to Go!
Established Member
I had my gears installed in just a few hours for each mustang I've had. I would park at his house and make him do the install in front of you.

Juruense

Banned
This is what happens when you try to save money on car repairs. If you wanted it back on time with no hassles you should have taken it to a reputable shop. Now you have no choice but to kiss that guy's ass and beg for your car. If you cannot afford to have the mods done properly you cannot afford the mods.

Riskeman

Established Member
I was able to talk to him face to face and get it resolved this morning. I will have my car today with the work done. He was actually working on it this morning when I pulled up.

Thanks for the advise to wait and talk to him in person guys. I was pretty wound up yesterday.

To say the least I'm still pissed and will not do any business with him again in the future, but at least the situation won't end up with the cops involved.

Riskeman

Established Member
This is what happens when you try to save money on car repairs. If you wanted it back on time with no hassles you should have taken it to a reputable shop. Now you have no choice but to kiss that guy's ass and beg for your car. If you cannot afford to have the mods done properly you cannot afford the mods.

Do you take your car to the dealer for every oil change and to rotate your tires for you?

I was very well aware that It would take longer for my car to get done on the side instead of taking it to a shop. Normally these arrangements work out for both parties because the car owner gets the work done cheaper and the mechanic can make more money than what his hourly rate at the shop is. My problem was the mechanics lack of communication and dodging my calls.

Users who are viewing this thread