Need some advice..To build or not to build?

ctdkid

Established Member
I am building a turbo 97 cobra, and torn between what I should do..

Need advice:
I purchased a shortblock with a 5.0 stroker kit bored .020 over, out of a 98 gt, for a really good price. It has the eagle forged crank, eagle h-beam rods, and 17cc CP pistons. Everything is pretty much new.

My question is should I take the teksid out remove everything from the block and transfer them to the iron block.

Or, rip the teksid block apart bore it .020 over and install the rotating assembly in that.

From my understanding the only difference between the blocks is obviously the material and that it would be about 70lbs heavier.

Very interested with some input

OW99

Established Member
I would just use the iron block and keep the spare aluminum short block just in case something goes wrong when money is tight.

96S/Cobra

Established Member
If you have the time and money, and are not in a hurry, then build the aluminum block. If you are itching to get it up and running like yesterday, then toss in the engine thats all ready to go.

ia96svt

Established Member
the teksid blocks are awesome blocks if you have the money for the bore id build the teksid!
on that note
rod bearings $80
main bearings $130
piston rings $130
main studs $150
jack screws $60
.020 over bore $150-450

pistons are most likely odd sized rings not standard 4.6 rings
eagle advises you to use there main bearings special chamfer and rod bearings are the same as a 2.2 honda there cheap! everything else is a lil pricey
i just picked up a standard bore eagle stroker kit from a kid on craigslist
and just purchased everything sent the crank rods pistons and rings and bearings to get balanced and found out the crank has micro cracks :(

would it be a better motor imo hands down yes! but is it worth 70lbs to you?

Users who are viewing this thread