Need some advice on springs

Tito99SVT

Established Member
IMG_0619.JPG
Currently I have some h&r sport springs on my 99 cobra and even tho it handles great, it is just way too low. My exhaust scrapes on everything there is only 2-3 inches of clearance.

Does anyone have any experience with h&r race springs? I've done a lot of searching but there is just so much conflicting information. From what I have read the race springs won't give as much of a drop which is what I'm looking for. Or would I be better off with some stock 03/04 cobra coupe springs? Not planning on tracking the car but I do like to have some fun lol but the wheel hop with stock springs was terrible! Thanks

chauncey01

Established Member
I agree with nxhappy, I've got a 01 Cobra with the same springs with stock isolators on the front and Maximum Motorsports urethane isolators on the rear and it doesn't sit anywhere close to that low.

57ac6797b952fb6d3c3d0f810c24e0b6.jpg

Tito99SVT

Established Member
I agree with nxhappy, I've got a 01 Cobra with the same springs with stock isolators on the front and Maximum Motorsports urethane isolators on the rear and it doesn't sit anywhere close to that low.

57ac6797b952fb6d3c3d0f810c24e0b6.jpg
I actually have the stock isos but mine sits lower in the rear. The front looks about the same. Do you think it would ride weird if I put race springs in the rear only and keep the sports in the front? I picked these up used pretty cheap maybe the rears are no good

chauncey01

Established Member
I actually have the stock isos but mine sits lower in the rear. The front looks about the same. Do you think it would ride weird if I put race springs in the rear only and keep the sports in the front? I picked these up used pretty cheap maybe the rears are no good

I honestly couldn't say rather or not the ride would be good with just the race springs on the rear, but I bought a set of race for the rear myself because I had a lot of trouble getting the rear of the car to sit at its current height. I never tried them out because I finally got it where I wanted it by changing up the spring's orientation in the spring perch on the lower control arm. Here's where the install instructions from Maximum Motorsports suggests moving them to raise the car.
93ddf15764d98dc34df2c6029cfdf418.png

Tito99SVT

Established Member
I honestly couldn't say rather or not the ride would be good with just the race springs on the rear, but I bought a set of race for the rear myself because I had a lot of trouble getting the rear of the car to sit at its current height. I never tried them out because I finally got it where I wanted it by changing up the spring's orientation in the spring perch on the lower control arm. Here's where the install instructions from Maximum Motorsports suggests moving them to raise the car.
93ddf15764d98dc34df2c6029cfdf418.png
Thanks man I will have to try that

fitforspeed

Established Member
View attachment 796959 Currently I have some h&r sport springs on my 99 cobra and even tho it handles great, it is just way too low. My exhaust scrapes on everything there is only 2-3 inches of clearance.

Does anyone have any experience with h&r race springs? I've done a lot of searching but there is just so much conflicting information. From what I have read the race springs won't give as much of a drop which is what I'm looking for. Or would I be better off with some stock 03/04 cobra coupe springs? Not planning on tracking the car but I do like to have some fun lol but the wheel hop with stock springs was terrible! Thanks

Have you tried adjusting your exhaust? I've always run my cars pretty low and found that the exhaust must be raised as far as possible to prevent clearance issues. It really makes a difference. Loosen front and rear of the mid pipe and use a jack or something under the x or h to raise exhaust as far as possible without touching the crossmember. Make sure rear tailpipes are aligned then tighten front and rear of mid pipe. Start car and make sure exhaust is all sealed up good, and hopefully you now have an extra inch or two of clearance.

fitforspeed

Established Member
And if the above doesn't get you enough clearance another option would be to raise the front of the car by using a spacer above the coil spring. I just used two 1/8 inch spacers in my vert to get just a little more height on the front. I have two 1/4 inch spacers if you want to try that route. The 1/4 inch spacers should yield approximately 1/2 inch in additional ride height.

Tito99SVT

Established Member
And if the above doesn't get you enough clearance another option would be to raise the front of the car by using a spacer above the coil spring. I just used two 1/8 inch spacers in my vert to get just a little more height on the front. I have two 1/4 inch spacers if you want to try that route. The 1/4 inch spacers should yield approximately 1/2 inch in additional ride height.

Thanks man! I thought about that too but wasn't sure it was possible. And by the front you mean where it connects to the header right? Also didn't know about the spacers might have to try that! Thanks man!

fitforspeed

Established Member
Thanks man! I thought about that too but wasn't sure it was possible. And by the front you mean where it connects to the header right? Also didn't know about the spacers might have to try that! Thanks man!

Yes front of the mid pipe either at the collector of header or manifold whichever you have. Just make sure to tighten the bolts before you remove the jack or supporting device on the exhaust. The exhaust will probably still drop just a little once jack is lowered. And the spacers are just another option if you need just a little more height to the front end. 1/2 inch would probably be max you could gain going that route. If you wanted any more than that you would need to change the spring. But I would suspect that between changing these two things it should take care of your problem over most of your ground clearance issues. Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions.

Tito99SVT

Established Member
Yes front of the mid pipe either at the collector of header or manifold whichever you have. Just make sure to tighten the bolts before you remove the jack or supporting device on the exhaust. The exhaust will probably still drop just a little once jack is lowered. And the spacers are just another option if you need just a little more height to the front end. 1/2 inch would probably be max you could gain going that route. If you wanted any more than that you would need to change the spring. But I would suspect that between changing these two things it should take care of your problem over most of your ground clearance issues. Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions.

Thanks man. Exhaust scraping is my only concern so this should help!

Users who are viewing this thread