Need some advice/input -- Rebuild vs. Buy a Rebuilt

cashtown

Lawyers, Guns and Money
Established Member
Have an '04 with no real mods - pullied, exhaust, that's it, 60K miles.

I had it dyno tuned in Houston because I thought I heard detonation but the tuners said there was none, though the tuning didn't get rid of the noise that I thought was the detonation.

Anyway, I blew a coil under modest acceleration a week or so ago. Had the coil and plug replaced and two days later the coil went again.

The shop doesn't want to mess with it anymore. They say there's an underlying internal problem - that the #5 piston is slapping the head and tearing up the plug. They figure a rebuild is in the cards.

As an option I've been looking at buying a rebuilt motor from someone like Promar (stock motor for $3K, some goodies for $4K) and dropping it in after the core exchange.

My problem is I don't want to spend a bunch of money to have my motor torn down for diagnosis only to find I'm going to discover a problem that would require an expensive rebuild when I could just buy a rebuilt warrantied motor.

What would you do? Where would you look for aftermarket motors?

The truck runs and drives but is missing bad on #5. What would be a rough ballpark estimate on a rebuild? I'm in Houston a lot and know PSI does good work.

Thanks,
Austin

Teksid89

Don't Tread On Me
Established Member
Stay away from promar

I bought a 01 cobra w/ a rebuilt engine from Promar and am PAYING the consequences. Too exhausted to go in to the detail but strongly recommend you go with a more reputable company like Jasper. Also, make sure you get the details on the warranty. Found out after I purchased the car that it was none transferable..not that I would let them lay a finger on my engine again anyway.:fm:

Jase Sherwood

Established Member
You have a ford modular engine so nothing is going to be cheap. The cheapest route will be to buy a good used engine. If you start messing with having it rebuilt you will end up with a ton of money in it trust me. I know lol

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
IMHO purchasing a built crate motor to drop in would be your best option. Spend your money once I say.

Users who are viewing this thread