Need Shipping Advice for new Cobra

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
I'm fairly new here and didn't know which forum to post this in so I posted it here.

Here's the deal...been looking for an OW Cobra since Oct. '07 and finally bought one tonight. It doesn't have blk/blk interior like I wanted but for this price, I couldn't rationalize being that picky anymore: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...20237643585&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:MOTORS:1123

I'm in NW Illinois, the car is in SE Alabama. I'm thinking of having the car shipped to either NW Illinois or Southern Illinois (where my parents live). Who have you used or recommend in order to get this car shipped to me?? I know I've seen it mentioned on here that there are licensed and bonded car haulers...does anybody have any names or references? (I'm thinking there was one in Georgia)

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I do have other options, but I came here first because of all the knowledge you all have. Thanks!

coreseller

Established Member
DAS or contact a few local car lots for who they use. There are sites where you can post up your request and haulers will answer with a quote. I just had 2 buddies have high end cars transported and dealt with paint / bent rim damage on both. My partner paid dearly for a vintage car to be transported last year in an enclosed trailer and it was fine, but it did cost him about double open car carrier rates. Google a search for it. I picked up a car roughly 6 weeks back from Richmond, VA (flew down from Ohio) and drove it back, saved money and had a beautiful 9 hour drive back. This was the third car I've travelled to collect and drive back, it's a very cool adventure.

CSSMIKETSI

Established Member
Cascade Vehicle Shipping

Great prices, and REALLY reliable service. I couldn't be happier, and I will be using them again.

Zep

Established Member
We needed to transport a 03 Cobra from the Pittsburgh area to Central Texas this past February. Looking through the reviews from TransportReview.com we chose Specialty Mobile Systems to arrange our transport because of the high number of positive reviews they got. We added our positive review as well because the transport went without a hitch and the car arrived a day earlier than scheduled despite lousy winter driving conditions. We couldn't be happier with Specialty Mobile Systems and with PIA Logistics who transported the vehicle.

This was our first car transport and it was a most pleasant experience.

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
Thanks for all the posts! This has given me a good start...also have some other leads now, plus a local dealer who might be willing to help.

I appreciate your help!!

DCOURTS

Established Member
if you have the cash, look into the Horseless Carriage. They mostly only deal with very very high end cars but its worth a look.

Beasty5.0

Established Member
You can try this website, http://www.transportreviews.com/, I found it very helpful when trying to inquire on shipping prices. Personally, I was going to try Autozipper, but the car deal didn't go through, so never used them, however, Brian (the representative) was very informative and answered all my questions without a problem. Good luck :beer:

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
Intercity Lines. Only way to fly.
I personally would hop on a plane and drive it back. There is no better way to get to know your new car!

SHOLANDO

Established Member
FLy down and drive it home. There is nothing like the thrill of doing that!! I've done it with 5 cars I've purchased. I've also shiped a couple of cars for people who bought them from me. The drivers always appear a little shaddy to me. Remember THEY will be driving your car on and off the carrier.

Impulse922

Established Member
fly down and drive it back. I flew to detroit to pick up my car. drove it back in two days. that being said, kentucky is beautiful(well atleast on i-65).

Fly and drive is the only way i'll ever do it. :rockon:

you could also stop in bowling green,ky to check out the corvette museum :thumbsup:

SVT904COBRA

Established Member
I recommend flying down and driving back-- I drove 7 hours each way from wisconsin to OHIO to get a Ford Lightning with my brother -- cost total of 300.00 for gas and food. Good Luck

cobrastrike4

Established Member
I also would do the fly in drive home if possible great for the bonding thing air fare is cheap thru southwest now, fly during the weekly specials one way so you won't get stranded like a lot have been lately your only going one way anyways so haha on them..
I have used reliable transport/carriers in the past with high end cars with no problems.
G.L. and congrats on the car looks like a winner.

Last edited:

coreseller

Established Member
Having bought 2 used cars in the past 6 months from out of town I'll say this, MY idea of Excellent Condition and some others' opinion of EC vary GREATLY. Luckily I did not get burned but lets just say I'll NEVER buy a car without seeing it, sitting in it, smelling it and driving it. Fly there and look it over before handing over the money....my 2 cents worth.

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
SHOLANDO...

Sorry for the late reply (everybody)...last week was VERY busy and stressful between work and the car deal.

After two weeks of waiting and being on the phone (about every 3 days) with the shipping company, they called Mon. April 28 and told me they finally found a hauler but needed $350 more. The extra price didn't tick me off all that much b/c they originally quoted me $870 for closed transport. However, by this time I was honestly just sick and tired of dealing with them (didn't quite trust them at this point either) and I was becoming a little concerned that the seller was getting anxious to get it out of his garage...the shipping company acted like they wanted to pick it up the next day when I gave them the okay and I told the seller it wouldn't take very long (stupid on my part) But by then it was 2 weeks later. So, I cancelled my order and they did credit my deposit back too without an arguement so I can't be too PO'ed at them. Although I still think they low-balled me to get my business, plus gas prices and jumped prob. $0.30 after the initial quote. Whatever.

I ended up driving down to my parents' place in Southern IL and had my dad drive me to St. Louis airport to catch a 7:30am flight Sat. May 3. Flew to Atlanta, then caught a connecting flight to Dothan, AL. The seller and his wife met me at the airport around 3:30 the same day and I started driving back around 4:30.

Meeting the couple and seeing the car in person was well worth it! The couple was SUPER nice and accomodating and the car is 10x better looking in person. The pictures don't do it justice. Inside, outside, underneath...looks showroom new, no joke!

Made it up to Birmingham, AL Sat. night and finished the drive to my parent's on Sunday. Actually made for a pretty good little road trip...northern AL was fun, so were the hills in TN. Received quite a few looks on the road! Plus, I got to know the car a bit and get a feel for how she handles. Had a late '90's Camaro and a new GTO screwing around with me on the interstate (already). LOL

But, there's still one minor hitch. The car is still at my parents' place! At this moment it's a minute detail in my mind now that it's actually in my hands. Just need to find a good weekend with good weather and drive it the other 265 mi. north. (I'm still under 10k BTW. lol) All in all, I'm glad I didn't have it shipped...it was cheaper, more fun, and I got to know the car! Still working on my sig. and getting some pics posted. It might be awhile with the way work has been lately (and I need some better pics!).

EDIT: Thank you very much for all the ideas/support! I've been searching 2-3 times daily for 6 months to find a car like this. I hope now I can say that patience pays off (hopefully I'm not jinxing myself. lol)

Need to learn to post at least 1 pic.....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread