*Need Serious HELP* deciding what to do with my Rear End?

HandsomeRob

Established Member
Hey guys,
I ripped out my rear differential today and just dropped it off at a local Performance Rear-End Shop. I need your expertise ASAP so I can order my parts if needed.

I decided since I pulled the diff completely out of the car, I mine as well powdercoat the entire axle housing for longevity.
I also wanted to have the axle tubes professionally pinned and welded together for future abuse.
The Quad Shock mounts are being cut and grinded down since I'm running a Torque Arm and Panhard Bar.
My current Diff has the following:
Superior 31 Spline Axles (Not sure if they are forged)
Eaton Posi
FRP 373 Gears
Ford Racing Girdle Diff Cover

My car will be making about 600-650rwhp. (Centrifugal Supercharger)
I'm running a T56 6-Speed with a 28" tall tire for now.
I have 2 sets of wheels. (15X10-17X4 Weldstars)&(17X10.5-17X9 FR500's) I plan on swapping them out from time to time depending on the type of driving i am doing.
It will probably only see the dragstrip once or twice in its lifetime. This is my weekend car and take it through the canyons and to the beach here and there.

My question is:
Should I change my gear ratio?
Should i change out my EATON Posi for a Detroit Locker, TrueTrac, or FRP Traction LOK LSD?
Should I change out my 31 Spline Superior axles for Forged Mosers?

I'm leaning towards installing 410 gears.
Thanks for any guidance guys.

svtcobralover

Established Member
If you can swing it, I would get a set of Moser axles, and since you wont really be taking it to the strip I would just keep the Eaton in it. Honestly you don't really need to get new axles, but for longevity purposes it might not be a bad idea.

HandsomeRob

Established Member
I hate to throw more money into the differential but since its out and apart is rather do it now than later. How good are Superior 31 spline axles? Mosers are like $300. ;-/

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
I hate to throw more money into the differential but since its out and apart is rather do it now than later. How good are Superior 31 spline axles? Mosers are like $300. ;-/

i highly doubt you will ever break them. i have friends with stock 28s that have ran 10s with 600hp that were fine

just be on slicks at the track and urll be good

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
28 tall tire?

He told me a 28'' tall tire for about 90% of the time.. 4.30's would be good too with that tall of a tire, but when he puts back on the 26" it'll be to much for a street car that sees canyons and possibly 0 track time in it's life.

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
doesnt motive make 430s? i think thats too much for your setup tho
kind of depends on your goals tho. since your not going to the track you dont have to worry about hitting limiter in 4th

HandsomeRob

Established Member
I would do a Torsen diff. Car's benefit so much from them it's crazy. 4.10 gear

I looked at the Torsen diffs. I can't spend that much $$ on one. My Eaton should do me just fine. I might get a High Performance clutch kit for it. Not sure yet. Just ordered the 410 gears. ;)

Helomech74

Established Member
Wavetrac diff, 4.10 gears and Mark Williams axles. Pricey, but you won't ever need to worry about replacing them again.

9804SNAKES

Established Member
hey guys not looking to hijack the thread but I saw no mention of FRPP 31 Spline Axles as a recommendation, only Moser and Superior. Am I to assume I went wrong with FRPP 31 Splines? Thanks in advance.

THE RED 1

Wake up, piss excellence
Established Member
Do the 4.10's and the true track my buddy has one in his lightning and zero noise handles beautiful and always spins both wheels when its WOT

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
hey guys not looking to hijack the thread but I saw no mention of FRPP 31 Spline Axles as a recommendation, only Moser and Superior. Am I to assume I went wrong with FRPP 31 Splines? Thanks in advance.

Nothing wrong with the Ford Racing 31 spline axles.

Users who are viewing this thread